KARAOKE, Tokyo

Know about this? Rate It!

• Tilt your head to the left to view & SING!!!
    Tilt your head to the left to view &...
    by huggy93
    What shall we sing?
    by huggy93
    Karaoke in Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
    by kdoc13
  • huggy93's Profile Photo

Karaoke Kid: カラオケ

by huggy93 Updated Jan 8, 2007

Tilt your head to the left to view & SING!!!

Karaoke was one of my favourite things to do at night here. I loved it and after hearing a friend sing an amazing rendition of Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You," hitting all the right notes and keys, you can imagine how apprehensive I was when I was told... "Your turn?!" Whoa!! After I got over the nerves (in like 5 seconds) I really went for it and couldn't stop. I sang until I could sing no more, from ballads to more upbeat songs... "It's not un-u-sual to be loved, by anyone..." You know the deal by now!

To anybody that wants to do something fun, I would really recommend this, it's cheap, it's such a laugh and you hire your own private rooms between you and your friends.

Dress Code: Wear what you want to, there is no particular dress code needed to go and have some serious.... FUN!!

• kdoc13's Profile Photo

Karaoke: Karaoke like the Pros!

by kdoc13 Written May 2, 2005
    Karaoke in Shibuya-ku, Tokyo

As I often do while traveling, I love to hang out with the locals. I hooked up with a few while shopping for Utada Hikaru CD's in Shibuya. They suggested we go and sing Karaoke.

Karaoke isn't just an evening of entertainment, it is an event. And everyone participates. I don't like singing. In fact, my singing scares children and animals. But that doesn't matter. The whole point of Karaoke is to get completely drunk and entertain your friends. Me drunk is enough normally to be entertaining, but add music and an evening of classic adventure is at hand!

In many places there are options. First there is bar Karaoke. This is starting to get a little more hard to find. You basically go, get drunk and sing to a whole bar. More common now is Room Karaoke. This is kind of like what you see in "Lost in Translation" where you have a private room and you and your friends all sing and drink together.

You can tell the real pro's at Karaoke by the way the sing. It is all about entertaining those you are out with, so some people will make more of a show of it. These are the ones who dance while singing, and can do every song in the book without looking at the words.

Westerners, don't worry there are plenty of songs in English. Although, many will not be ones you'd expect. I still find myself humming an 80's song I had forgotten about after Karaoke, and that was a few years back!

Dress Code: Depends who you are with. Adults tend to go business casual or suits. Younger folks like to go in jeans and their trendy T-shirts.

• huggy93's Profile Photo

Karaoke Kid: More Karaoke more fun

by huggy93 Written Oct 22, 2004

What shall we sing?

"I waited 'til I saw the sun
    I don't know why I didn't come
    I left you by the house of fun
    I don't know why I didn't come

When I saw the break of day
    I wished I could fly away
    Instead of kneeling in the sand
    Catching teardrops in my hand

My heart is drenched in wine
    But you'll be on my mind
    Forever...."

Dress Code: Same way... whatever you want... you're there to sing, not on your fashion and style, and sing you will!!

• Beachcomber's Profile Photo

Go To A karaoke Box!: Go To A karaoke Box!

by Beachcomber Written Aug 24, 2002

It doesn't matter if you cant sing. You go to a karaoke box place and there is a number of karaoke boxes. A karaoke box (it's actually rather big) is a room with a TV, microphones and a karaoke system. You can sing away the night knowing that only your friends in the room will hear.
    There are english and Japanese songs. It's great fun, you absolutely must do it if you come to japan. An unforgettable experience. You can also order drinks and snacks from an intercom in your box and the staff will deliver it to your box.

Dress Code: Just turn up