Nefertiti Tokyo, Tokyo

3 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

Mito bldg, 2-17-4 Kami-Osaki, Shunagawa-ku 03-5719-5455

by juhni
  • Nefertiti Nishi-Azabu: This restaurant cheated us too!

by TokyoRobson Written Feb 14, 2011

We were also cheated by this restaurant (Nishi-Azabu). At the register I thought it seemed too expensive and they had made a mistake, so I asked the waiter to explain the bill and everything on there was what we had ordered. Except, the charge for bread which was 1000 yen. We were not informed of this and it was certainly not written on the menu. I should have totaled the bill with my cell at the register because after arriving home, I checked the online menu and realized that we had been over charged by about 500yen. Even with the bread included we were still overcharged by about 500yen.

What was really strange was that according to the menu our meal should have been 9,340 yen. We were charged 10,320. I thought perhaps that menu prices didn't include tax, highly irregular this would be, so I checked the receipt which I had asked for. It stated a pre-tax amount (税抜金額) of 9,829 yen and a tax amount of 491 yen (5%), which is 10,320 in total. How on earth do you calculate 9,829? There was nothing on the menu that was ---9 yen.

You might think that 500yen is not much. Perhaps it isn't really. But, there are other reviews out there too that report similar cheating with this restaurant. Perhaps, many people just haven't noticed or, like me, are too polite to check it out there and then in the restaurant.

My advice: If you do have to go to this restaurant, calculate the price of your food when order and add on 5% for tax. There will be unwritten surcharges like bread and possibly others, so when the bill exceeds your calculation, ask them to explain order by order. And, look out for the odd '---9 yen' amounts on the righthand side of the receipt they give you. Actually, if it is this much hassle to check you're not going to get cheated by a restaurant, why bother going?

• nefertiti tokyo: Everything was great

by juhni Written Jan 8, 2011

If you’re going to boldly name a restaurant after a woman known as the most beautiful queen to rule Egypt, it helps to bring out a professional belly dancer a few times during dinner hours.
    It’s that kind of thinking that makes Nefertiti Tokyo really stand out.
    I took my wife to Nefertiti, because I wanted to eat food I’ve never tried while surrounded by curtains. The effect succeeds in making the customer feel like royalty, a goal of Nefertiti’s, according to the website.
    The restaurant might be more about overall experience than food. One reason is the decor. The not-quite-knee-high tables are basically large, gold trays on legs. Gold and crimson make up a lot of the colors, especially in the mini-lounges like the one we ate in. For these, you leave your shoes behind and relax on the carpet that’s lined with decorative pillows. Privacy seems like a point of emphasis. You can’t really make out what’s going on outside the curtains.
    We both went with the first of Nefertiti’s three set courses, which includes two appetizers, lentil soup, bread with hummus dip, one of 12 main dishes, dessert and mint tea. It cost about 4,000 yen. We also added three pieces of falafel a la carte.
    Everything was great.
    The place really comes to life on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights. The lights dim slightly, and then you hear (what I assume is) Egyptian pop music, which rocks! A belly dancer then appears dressed like “Return of the Jedi” Princess Leia, and she gets everyone in frenzy. Everyone claps along and several people that tip her get up and dance right along with he
    Nefertiti Tokyo: Great atmosphere, great food!

Favorite Dish: My wife chose the Taggen Samak, which is a baked fish dish with tomato and garlic. The latter ingredients masked any fish flavor — always a requirement of mine when eating fish. My Egyptian enchilada consisted of cheese, white sauce and beef rolled up in thin crepes. It didn’t taste all that different from a Mexican enchilada, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
    Another highlight for 1,000 yen is being able to order up a hookah pipe, which Nefertiti offers in a variety of fruit flavors. We didn’t have time to indulge, however.

• Nefertiti Tokyo: Beware -A CHEAT!! & absolutely ridiculous prices!

by mytokyo Written Jan 7, 2010

An seemingly good restaurant with enchanting interiors to the word. The food is just about average & the prices are horrendous!!!

Firstly you have just 2 choices - either a course menu or ala carte. Thats normal i know... but in ala carte too its MANDATORY that you choose 2 dishes from the Section A(range ¥750-¥1200)& Section B (range ¥1500-¥2500) which means you no more have the freedom to choose as per your budget.

They will also bring you extra bread with Musa'ah (which is not written in the menu nor recommended by the waiter) & charge you a separate ¥600 for 3 small,cold slices. n yes...water is also not free....a small bottle is for a ridiculous ¥550 !! not to mention 10% tax over n above...whereas all of tokyo follows it at 5%.

I would never visit or recommend Nefertiti to anyone... where I feel so cheated !

• kamikazekelly's Profile Photo

Nefertiti Tokyo: Great atmosphere, great food!

by kamikazekelly Written Feb 16, 2007

If you love hummus, falafel, shish kebabs and other Egyptian/Middle Eastern fare, you're going to LOVE Nefertiti Tokyo. The atmosphere, with lovely carpets, pillows and billowy curtains are worth checking out just for themselves. And the food is divine. Friday nights feature belly dancers and for 1,000 yen you can order sheesha (tobacco in a water pipe) in a variety of flavors. This would be a great place for date-night!

Favorite Dish: The course set, with a variety of choices, is a really good deal. You have a variety of courses to choose from, the cheapest at about 3,400 yen per person, but you get a 3 appetizers, soup, main meat dish, salad, and dessert with your choice of coffee or tea. (and the tea is GREAT!)

Nefertiti Tokyo--small photo Nefertiti Tokyo--small photo