Tourist Attractions in Tokyo

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Tokyo

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

The difference of the South Exit and North Exit

by joiwatani Updated Nov 12, 2007

If someone is picking you up at the airport, make sure that you specify which exit you are actually getting out. From the baggage claims section, there are two exits. One going to the South Exit and the other one is going to the North Exit. The South Exit is mostly for passengers who have pick-ups - friends, family and relatives coming to pick the passengers related to them. The North exit is for passengers heading to the bus stops.

Unique Suggestions: At least inform your relatives to pick you up at the south exit. Not the North Exit.. .

Fun Alternatives: Have a cellular phone ready so you can communicate with your friends or relatives coming to pick you up.

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

The Edo-Tokyo Museum: Save until the End

by AKtravelers Updated Mar 12, 2010

The Edo-Tokyo Museum is not a tourist trap per se -- its permanent exhibits present a somewhat enlightening portait of a growing city from the time the Tokogawa Shogunate made Edo its capital in 1600 until today. It gives reasonable displays about 17th-century life in the city and explains the way the town ways planned -- the effects of which still can be seen today. However, as museums go it's really not that great: mostly reading and replicas. The paucity of real artifacts of the time make one wish that they'd just purchased a book on the subject rather than traveled to this remote corner of town for the information. So my advice would be that its worth a stop if you're in the neighborhood (it's right next door to the suo stadium) but otherwise don't go through the trouble unless there's a special exhibition. In fact, that's what I did, catching a traveling show of Mongolian Art from the 12-14th centuries, which was excellent!

The Edo-Tokyo Museum from the outside
    • Museum Visits

• shavy's Profile Photo

Cat Cafe Asakusa Nekoen

by shavy Updated Jan 11, 2015

I have been searching of things to do in Tokyo and I came into the site of Cat Cafe in Tokyo, I was curious about it and the place is just next to our hotel in Asakusa. There are different Cat cafes in Tokyo but this is the closest one from where we are staying. From the distance we have seen already the signboard, there was a sign on the street ,and when I look up to the building there was another sign. So, we presume the cafe is at the high level of the building

When we're below the building we have no idea where to go in, the signs are gone, so we thought we're going up with the elevator and no idea which floor is located, while we were in the elevator and suddenly caught my eye the small magnet thing on the botton number 6 was a magnet from cat. We follow that one,we went up and we were in the right level on number 6. Once we get off the elevator there was a woman who welcoming us and ask to remove our shoes and leave it at the entrance. The entrance was very,very tiny incredibly small that you hardly can move we take off our shoes. There are slippers if you need one, but inside is carpet so, going in with sock is fine.

Once we're inside she took my handbag and jacket and I must satinized my hand before I can sit. She explained we can stay for one hour and take picture of the cats as much as we can and play as well. You will have access to free wifi while you are inside. If you want to have a drink and snack there are cans available such as beers, soda and water, she even sale candies. You can feed the cat as well, cat food for sale inside for 100 yen

While we were inside I didn't see many cats, she said, she has 18 cats and while my eyes strolling around I don't think there were 18 cats inside. There were two small inside the cage which you can play, the big ones are scattered around. The place smells like rotten thing is not very clean and we have to sanitized our hands before we can touch the cat. If we know the place is not worth we would not go inside. The cat cafe is not worth the price 800 yen each to spend an hour by the cats and after an hour exceed there is an additional charge of 200 yen every 30 minutes. After 15 minutes we left we found it boring and dirty place to spent for an hour. She was surprise when we said we are leaving and she ask how come? I said, we still have plenty of things to do. We paid the price and leave

When we leave she given us a flyer and she ask, to like her on Facebook so, we said yes. And she is asking question how we find her place we said on the internet. And I ask to her if there are other cat cafes here in Tokyo, she said yes but her place is one of the best. All the others are not really love thier cats as she do

• Xtian's Profile Photo

Try to avoid staying in the...

by Xtian Written Aug 26, 2002

Try to avoid staying in the major hotels. Horror stories abound of being charged top dollar. Besides, the furnishings are generally western so it's not really the Japan experience you are probably looking for.
    Avoid restaurants with beautiful rock gardens, quaint Japanese lanterns and manicured paths leading to the genkan (entrance). Yes, I know it is just what you were expecting to see in Tokyo, but be aware that the prices are often tailored to the Japanese 'salary man' whose business is picking up the tab so don't be caught out.
    One other thing. Calling home can be expensive from Japan. Be aware of the calling charges before you 'phone home'.

• huesten's Profile Photo

Taxi can cause heart attack to...

by huesten Written Aug 24, 2002

Taxi can cause heart attack to travellers who were not been forewarn of its astronomical fare. I was told that a trip from Narita Airport to Tokyo city can cost as much as S$200. If you try to flag a taxi for a short trip to a few blocks away, the driver would rather not earn your money but give you a rub down for not exercising your legs. When you are in Japan, bring more cash and must be in Japanese Yen. Reason being:1) Not many shops accept credit cards and some accept only Japanese cedit cards.2) Cost of living in Tokyo is extremely high. Just a simple meal (noodle + green tea) at an economical restaurant would easily cost 580 yen.3) Most Japanese do not speak a foreign language and they would get panicky if they encounter one who don't speak Japanese. They accept only Japanese Yen and if you don't have, they would rather not do your business.

• MissyWQ's Profile Photo

Someone stole a our paperbag...

by MissyWQ Written Aug 24, 2002

Someone stole a our paperbag full of paid for camera equipment while shopping in the Yokahoma U.S. P.X.
    when it was set down for a moment to look at framed pix. I guess this could happen anywhere in the world.
    Be careful.

• Roppongi is a gaijin...

by Hanakin Written Aug 24, 2002

Roppongi is a gaijin (foreigner) haunt. Some people like it; others hate it. It is the only place in Tokyo where you will see as many gaijin as you do Japanese. And it's incredibly decadent. I recommend you allot yourself one night to go there, if only just for the experience. While you're there, you can go to the top of Tokyo Tower.

• LAOWAI's Profile Photo

Sometimes we can get the better of them.

by LAOWAI Written Jul 23, 2003

How to do? One must be extremely quick to assume such a position on beasts such as these. Do not be fooled by their kind eyes, their colorfulness, their plumpness and jolly smile. These animals are imbedded with Weapons of Mass Destruction. Beware!

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Roppongi

by boltonian Written Apr 15, 2009

Meant to be the best place for nightlife. Oh dear. Was hassled from the moment we left the subway.

The district seems to consist of a few bars and hundreds of strip bars. Huge numbers of americans line the streets trying to get you to enter their bar with the familiar... 'Just come for a look' that you hear all over the world.

Hated the place, this is NOT Japan.

• Fotunately, I never found any...

by yen_2 Written Sep 8, 2002

Fotunately, I never found any traps in here yet but if I can find then surely I will tell you all folks:-}

Wild Animals

by LAOWAI Written Jul 23, 2003

There are big animals everywhere. They are not as friendly as they look.

Fun Alternatives: Don't say I didn't warn you.

Boo!

Giant Rabbits

by LAOWAI Written Jul 23, 2003

They will stomp your brains out.

Fun Alternatives: This toursit is very brave. So brave the Japanese whose life she saved gave her a Japanese name- Riamu which means thou who are not afraid of yellow ears.

Tokyo Hotels

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 9 Reviews
Hilton Tokyo Bay
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Tokyo

Comments

Tokyo Tourist Traps

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Tokyo locals.
Map of Tokyo