Night Out, Tokyo

Know about this?

Tokyo After Dark could be dangerous !?
    by o00o
    help
    by LAOWAI
  • o00o's Profile Photo

Keep Off from the Dark

by o00o Written Aug 22, 2004

Tokyo After Dark could be dangerous !?

Tokyo, areas has been break into tiny spaces, base on group of ethnics, age and interest.
    Specifically, some area are crowded with Chinese, Malaysian, Korean, Iranian etc. Shibuya are popular with collages students, Shinjuku is famous with young people and Ginza is a hot spot for Madam and senior rich people. Other than this, some off the beaten path, `Love Hotel' and back street lane should be avoided, basically this area is mainly for prostitutions, gays and gangster. Too many drunk people walking, hanging and sleeping on the street, some gun fight may be happen.

• Seniors
    • Gay and Lesbian

• Kabuki-Cho, Shinjyuku

by yuibird Written Dec 19, 2005

Although Shinjyuku is one of the most popular place to meet, eat, shop, drink and party, please be careful going into Kabuki-Cho, Shinjyuku at night. The people will be very nice to you inviting for a drink at a bar, but they could be charging you, $100 per crappy drink, and if you can't pay, you will pay one way or another.....

• hundini's Profile Photo

Watch your drinks

by hundini Written Aug 7, 2003

When drinking in bars in Roppongi, be careful of who you accept drinks from.

I was at western style pub/nightclub during last years world cup and was enjoying myself, when aan ex-pat aussie 'stunner' approached me.
    She began talking to me & gee she was hot, low cut dress at the back.......
    Anyway she went on to say she was a hostess at a bar, etc etc.

We went our separate ways, when 10 minutes later she came back with a shot of something.
    BANG, can't remember much more than that, except waking up 6 hours later in a massage parlour with some thai girl walking on my back!!!!

I was really unwell that whole next day.

It could have been worse, but proved a reminder to me how careful you must be when in unfamiliar surrounds.

• MariaY10's Profile Photo

I lost all my money while looking for a job

by MariaY10 Written Nov 16, 2013

I made a friend on a social network who lived in Fukushima. She had a little store called Heart Farm, and promised me that if I went there she would offer me a job with visa, and that she really wanted to meet me. Well, I saved money for a whole year, sold several things I had and went to Tokyo first. I told my parents and friends in Mexico and Tokyo that I would work in Fukushima and everything would be fine, but when I arrived to Fukushima I waited in a specific metro entry, with a couple of very heavy baggages, I waited several hours for her to go pick me, until it went dark. I had her address, and tried to go on taxi, I found the place but it seemed like nobody was there, so I sent her several emails and told her I would stay in a hotel until next day. The only hotel I found was expensive, but I tried to be optimistic until morning. I emailed her almost ten times outside the hotel, and she wasn't coming, I went outside and saw a car with a guy, but I ignored him. Then I waited during 3 more hours until a man entered to the hotel, it was the same guy of the car. He told me he was my friend's brother and came to pick me. I wanted to keep hope of a good chance to get a better future, so I went with him. He took me to the same place I had went last night, and I met the girl I thought I already knew, but she seemed indifferent, not knowing why I was there.
    He started to take me to his store, not her store as she told me, and talked to me about going back to Mexico and help him to sell his products. I quickly realized: he used his wife's name in order to convince me to go all the way there, just for his own selfish projects. I faked to be agree with him and stayed there for almost a week (because I hadn't enought money for going back at the moment). I went back to Tokyo, and had to slept in several Net Cafes because I hadn't money in order to pay for a hotel. I found a better place for backpackers in Asakusa, and there I had to send emails to my parents telling them all was a scam, and I was really sorry about everything. They supported me, and Thanks God I had gotten a two way plane ticket just in case. Of course, I sent an email to that guy cursing him and telling him he had ruined my dreams and hopes, and taken all my money away.
    I cried a lot, and went back to Mexico without any money. This happened almost 3 years ago, and I'm still trying to find a job in Japan legally, even is harded, but this won't happen ever again.
    I wrote this in order to share it with other people and also because I wanted to take it out from my chest. Thank you so much for reading it, and wish me luck.

• Work Abroad

• Beware of drugged drinks!

by ktkatze Written Mar 19, 2009

Lately in the Roppongi area, there have been an increasing incident of spiked drinks. People will wake up in alleys or secluded areas and find that all their money, IDs, credit cards, etc. have been stolen. There has been a warning issued on this from the US embassy in Tokyo. See http://travel.state.gov for more information and updates.

Key thing--eventhough this is one of the safest countries in the world, don't let that lull you into letting down your gaurd!

• Women's Travel
    • Study Abroad

• scotty1's Profile Photo

I found Tokyo to be a very...

by scotty1 Written Aug 26, 2002

I found Tokyo to be a very safe place to visit and at no point did I feel threatened. The people are very nice and friendly and if you take a map out to look at it, someone will come over and ask you if they can help. The only warning I can think of is to make sure you step onto the right train. When the train approaches you have to check it is the right one you need as sometimes trains go whizzing past the station you wanted to get off at and you spend the next hour trying to get back :-)

• Scam Alert - "The First Bar" Roppongi

by gtraveler09 Written Mar 10, 2009

Scam Alert - "The First Bar" Roppongi

My friends and I were recently involved in a scam that took place in the Roppongi area called "The First Bar"

Don't fall victim! Here's how the scam and theft works:

My 2 friends and I were out for drinks in the area, we met some girls at a random bar in Roppongi. These girls had a conservative appearance "nice curb appeal" not your typical street 'ho'. One of the girls suggested we move to another bar for dancing and better nightlife. They strongly suggested "The First Bar" (the kick backs are better...more later) Once at the First Bar our group of 6 started to disperse, some dancing, some socializing. An hour or two later when we met back up, my friend who placed his credit card at the bar for drinks, feels he has been slightly drugged and had moments of blacking out. I have known this individual for over 12 years and he rarely drinks excessively. Our concern was to get him back to the hotel where he can rest.

We found out a few days later, that several thousand dollars of Champaign had been charged on his credit card, with a fake signature! We reported this to the credit card company and The US Embassy only to find out, they have received many complaints similar to this, apparently this is a reoccurring crime in some bars in that district. Ex pats getting drugged and excessive charges are made to their credit card bill. It appears the "TheFirstBar" and these girls are in cooperation with one another and get kick backs from the fake charges placed on the credit card.

AVOID "TheFirstBar" it is a dangerous place in Tokyo!

• Roppongi Bar Scams

by markbrown001 Written Mar 29, 2012

Be careful when you go to Roppongi, there are girls in the street "fishing" for foreigners...I was hooked up by 2 Brazilian girls, I thought I was having a lucky night and ended up going to a small Bar named 360 on Roppongi's main street.
    In that place these girls order several bottles of Champagne...(which I don't even remember)..in fact I suspect I was drugged..end of the story, I've got a bill of around 6,000 pounds and only realized what happened the next day when I woke up.
    It was too late to do something about because I had to return to London but I hope this don't happens to anybody.
    In the so called Bar 360 you will be robbed, be careful....

• Business Travel

• Bear1230's Profile Photo

shinjuku kabuki cho

by Bear1230 Updated Sep 27, 2012

last September 26 2012 i get drunk and robbed in shinjuku in kabuki cho.i cant remember what happen.When i walk upim in the elevator alone around seven in the morning the next day knowing that my all things are gone wallet, two PHONES, iphone jacket and my hat. and leaving me with a lot of BRUISE in my face and to mybody

all i can remember is that the drinks, they put drugs i think.i dont what this happen to anyone. you dont have no idea what really happens to me

• okamurah's Profile Photo

Safety

by okamurah Updated Jul 5, 2007

It has been long time sinece Japan became famous as the safest country in the world. I was born here in the mid town of Tokyo and do not have any experience to live out side of Tokyo.
    Now things have changed. This is one of the city like 80's New York, especially the central Tokyo area. Unfortunately the crime rate in the country side is getting higher by year. You also mention that very few people speak English here. If you got in trouble, imagine you will see some difficulties.
    This is a very beautifull country and I am very proud of saying it but please consider that this is not a special crime free country. It became just a legend now.

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Tokyo

• Dec 6, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Be careful with Caipirinha bar in Rappongi - a bottle of champagne costed 1200 Euro ! I was a bit drunk and signed the bill.

• Dec 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Be very carefull to finish your drink at tokyo bars before going to the tiolet . I was drugged in a bar called the hub in shinjuku , I knew something felt wrong and got out of there and straight into a taxi , I was being followed up the stairs by a very large pom whom I had talked to earlier . The next morning in my hotel my ankels had swollen up and I felt like *** . The guy was probably trying to rob me , be extra careful if you are a woman not to accept drinks you have not seen being poured as there have been cases of rapes and robbery , believe me I can look after myself but I felt powerless and was damm lucky that the taxi was literelly driving by . It seems to be gaijen who are involved in this .
    Another tip is to always take a card from hotel reception before leaving , it is very easy to get lost in tokyo and a couple of nights I have wandered around till day light trying to find my hotel , not remembering the name or going to the wrong hotel chain .
    Japan is generally very safe as a rule and is a great place to travel ,