Aktau Travel Guide

• Taken by Klo...walking with my host, Nikolai
    Taken by Klo...walking with my host,...
    by carpeyt
    By Klo...walking to a monument.
    by carpeyt

Aktau Transportation

• by carpeyt Updated Jan 25, 2010

So far, I am here for only one day, but I am pleased with two forms of transport: taxi; and on foot.

Taxi service so far has cost me only 200tg. Like in many other places of Kazakhstan, any one can boost his own personal economy by offering you a ride in his car. What is different here, than in Almaty, is that the cost is almost always 200tg (currently $1.34)....I heard that in bad weather the cost may increase by 50tg. This is a city where, "the streets have no name," so you have to know the micro-district and building number. You tell the driver that, and he takes you to your door. No haggling over price or having a driver up the price because he didn't understand you imperfectly formed Russian or Kazakh phrases like would happen in Almaty!

Walking, however, is very pleasant here. We walked along the seashore, and along the main drag (not to contradict myself, but as I understand, it is called "Lenina," but I don't know, yet, if that is it's official name, old name or real name). As the town seems European and the streets are wide, I was pleasantly surprised at how courteous the drivers were when I was on the crosswalks! And, by walking, I was able to suck in and store vast quantities of sea breezes (I am sure that my lungs are cleaning up from the pollution of Almaty).

Taken by Klo...walking with my host, Nikolai By Klo...walking to a monument.
    • Beaches
    • Birdwatching
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Aktau

Comments

Aktau Travel Guide
Map of Aktau