Bishkek Police. How to behave.
Locals say that theres no other mafia in Kyrgyzstan then police.
However the situation isn't that bad. In last few years officials put some pressure on police to make it more "tourist friendly" as Kyrgyzstan government has big expectations on tourism industry.
But you still should be avare of few people that might show you fake police ID and attempt to search you. Here is what you should know to prevent loseing your money:
1. Policemen must wear a uniform or show you valid ID. But if you can't read cirillyc you cant read anything. At least check if the photo on the document is right.
2. Policemen cannot search you outside the police office and without withnesses. But they can ask you to show whats inside your pockets. In this case YOU clear your pockets YOURSELF and do not let them touch your stuff as they can only see if there are any drugs or weapons. ("Office" sounds same in russian)
3. If you agreed to let policeman "just touch" your pockets "to see if there anything left" you should make shure that policemen has his sleeves rolled up and nothing hidden between fingers. (Tey used to plant drugs in ones pocket this way).
4. Always have a telephone number of somebody local in Bishkek that can come and help you out. It might be a friend or travel company.
Bishkek is a nice SAFE city as well as all Kyrgyzsatn. The chance of getting in troubles with police is much lower then getting in trouble with New York City cops (I had a chance to compare). All this advice is given "just in case". Best thing to do is to concentrate on your trip and not think about this kind of dangers is to hire a professional guide or just an english speaking person (student) or go on organized tour. Or just forget about police. In 99% times they will not even notice you.Related to:
- Budget Travel
Gorod Bishkek Hotels
Very nice hotel, but very expensive. Its location is best in the city. They don't have metal room...more
Jannat is located far from the city center. They claim to be a "5 star" hotel, but by the western...more
I had high hopes for the Silk Road Lodge. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. Described as a...more
Top Gorod Bishkek Hotels
- Bishkek Hotels
- 120 Reviews - 327 Photos
Explore the World
- Saint Simons Island
- Ouabache State Park Hotels
- Keaukaha Hotels
- San Luis Obispo
- Mexico City Hotels
- Beacon Rock State Park Hotels
- Brasov Warnings and Dangers
- Majorca Island Warnings and Dangers
- Canary Islands Warnings and Dangers
- T'bilisi Warnings and Dangers
- Minsk Warnings and Dangers
- Chile Warnings and Dangers
- Driving and parking
- Djibouti Warnings and Dangers
- Rough Neighborhoods
- Dallas Warnings and Dangers
- Koblenz Warnings and Dangers
- Morro Bay Warnings and Dangers