Ban Xiangkok Travel Guide

The Boatmen and the Mekong River

Ban Xiangkok Things to Do

• kharmencita's Profile Photo

by kharmencita Updated Feb 2, 2013

Our Laos journey ended up from Muang Sing Market where we rode on a Bus to Xieng Kok. It took us more than one hour to wait inside the bus before it started to go because the driver had waited until the bus was filled up with passengers. The best way is to go early to the bus station because the earlier you arrive the better is your sitting location. We went 7:oo o´clock a.m. so not all seats were occupied yet. Normally it takes around one and half hour to drive until Xieng kok but unfortunately our Bus had a Breakdown so we had to wait for some hours until it was repaired. By the time we waited, most of the travelers took the chances to know each other’s travel experiences in Laos. The conversation was lots of fun. So there was no bore. Travelling in Asia needs extra nerves and psychologically flexibilities. No stress no hurry. If you like to travel this way you must have lots of patience because anytime unavoidable circumstances can happen that might disturb your travel. *
    Along the Riverbanks of Xieng Kok there are some boatmen waiting for the passengers already. There were two ways of water transportations: by slow boat and speedboat. Hungry for more adventure, we chose the risky way of travelling across the famous Mekong River. Since there was no fixed amount at this time we tried first to deal with one of the Boatmen. After a certain time of business talks we were able to handle the fare. With 6 people we took the dangerous mode of transportation which is the speed boat. Because it is very fast( my Boyfriend told me almost 200km/hr? Oh such Daredevils!) and risky, there were several accidents already that happened with this kind of transportations That´s why it is discourage by many not to do. But usually where danger is and when it is prohibited the more you crave for it. As saying goes “no risk no fun”. Although my boyfriend lost his cap which was blown by the speedy wind and the strong impact caused by the wind as the boat swift like a racket shocked me down deep to the lowest part of the boat as if my cheeks were slapped and pushed back in the opposite direction. The experience was a success ;-) I covered my face and tied up tightly with my Turban so that I can breathe normally while the boat speeded up. Due to the rushing winds it seems as if my ears were undergoin through a loud "Car Wash" Maschine because of the loud motor noise. It was for me a scary adventure! After three hours ride we reached Huay Xai safe, undamaged and healthy but deaf, tired and hungry.

boatmen on the riverbanks repairing their boats. no risk no fun! slow and speedboats waiting for us ;-) At the end his headcap was blown away! scary smile....afterall such risky ride!
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Ban Xiangkok

Comments

Ban Xiangkok Travel Guide
Map of Ban Xiangkok