Ban Pak-Ou Transportation

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

To Pak Ou caves by boat

by call_me_rhia Written Sep 14, 2002

the little boat across the Mekong

At the end of Pak Ou village, on the Mekong shore, it's easy to negotiate a ride by boat across the Mekong. The boats are very small and unsteady, but for the 3 minutes it takes to go across it's feasible: just cross your fingers and don't balance yourself. Local people normally ask for 5000 kip each way, per boat.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

To Pak Ou by jumbo

by call_me_rhia Written Sep 14, 2002

the road to Pak Ou

While most people get to Pak Ou by boat from Luang Prabang, I decided to go by jumbo - which is basically a tuk-tuk - and stop to see two minority villages on my way there. The road is not paved, so it's only recommended if it's not raining - if it does it turns into a muddy slippery track which could become dangerous in some spots, since there's no fence between you and the waters of the Mekong down below. This trip is very scenic: it takes about 50 minutes to get there and costs about 10$. You'll find jumbo drivers along the main street in Luang prabang, and it's really easy to negotiate a ride.

Instant Answers: Ban Pak-Ou

Comments

Ban Pak-Ou Transportation

Reviews and photos of Ban Pak-Ou transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ban Pak-Ou sightseeing.