Luang Prabang Restaurants

A happy man with his beer Lao.
    by IreneMcKay
    Luang Prabang
    by lotharscheer
    Luang Prabang
    by lotharscheer

Most Recent Restaurants in Luang Prabang

The Pizza Restaurant: Extensive range of toppings

by Willettsworld Written Apr 22, 2010

This large and very popular aptly named pizza restaurant is located right in the middle of the main restaurant area on the main road through the old town. I had a pretty good ham and mushroom thin Italian style pizza and a beer for 54,000 kip. All the usual pizza suspects are on the menu along with an extensive range of toppings plus you'll also find several Lao and SE Asian dishes as well.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Nazin Indian Restaurant: Good spicy food!

by Willettsworld Written Apr 22, 2010

This restaurant is located on the main road in the town along with other restaurants and art galleries and such like. It's run by a couple of Indian guys which is always good to see in an Indian restaurant as then you know that the food will tend to be of a high standard. One guy comes from Pondicherry whilst the other comes from Madras and after chatting with them for a little while about India, my meal of chicken madras, rice, naan and poppadums arrived and was very good, if slightly on my tolerance of spiciness!

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Snack stalls: Near the tourist information office

by Willettsworld Written Apr 22, 2010

There are several snack stalls selling all kinds of tasty treats along the road that leads down towards the river from the Tourist Information Centre. Here you'll find barbequed meat such as sausages, pork and chicken as well as grilled fish. There are also some stalls opposite the Tourist Information Centre that sell French baguettes with happy cow cheese, salads and Nutella and peanut butter spreads.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Joma Bakery/Cafe: Excellent cakes!

by Willettsworld Written Apr 22, 2010

There's another Joma Bakery in the Laos capital, Vientiane, which I also went to, and I came here for lunch and had a slice of apple crumble, which evoked my taste buds from home, and a coke for 24,000 kip. Their extensive menu covers everything from breakfast to dessert and you could eat every meal here and not be disappointed. Portions are generous and many dishes are accompanied by a hearty salad. Dessert is sublime and highly recommended.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Chansavang guesthouse.: Great for a quick snack.

by planxty Updated Feb 18, 2010

Meal. Chansavang guesthouse, Luang Prabang, Lao.

I wandered in here for a quick snack one afternoon, and it proved a reasonable choice. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am in favour of being able to see the kitchen, and in this place the kitchen comprises two gas rings and a fairly small working area set up on the verandah of the guesthouse with a few tables and chairs for the customers. The hygiene standards appeared excellent. Although the menu is not vast, it offers the usual Lao and Western standards and I opted for an omelette which was served promptly and was perfectly well cooked (see photo).

I know it is difficult to review a restaurant on something as basic as an omelette but on the basis of this it seems as good an option as any.

Favorite Dish: The omelette as mentioned in the main text.

• vayastra's Profile Photo

Lao Lao Garden restaurant

by vayastra Written Jan 19, 2010

The Lao Lao Garden is located on the Southern side of the Mount Phou Si, at the cross point between Chao Siphouan and Phousi roads. By feet, it is about 10 minutes walk from the main street (Sisavangvong). They decorated the venue wonderfully, there were big xmas tree, and small lightings here and there, a few torch...hence, so romantic :)

very idyllic and lovely place to hang with your friends.it's an alfresco restaurant, where tables tumble into a hilly, candle-lit garden and what a lovely surprise ; they als have several wood fireplace table, we could sit gathered circling a fireplace, real one while having their wonderful barbecue choices. And as its name contain the word "Garden" so it definitely in a real garden restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Their best offer are the Special Barbecue package and Special Bucket Cocktail in very reasonable (read: ridiculously cheap) prices. Ginger tea and Ice Lao Coffee.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Atsalin restaurant.: Late night munchies.

by planxty Written Jan 5, 2010

Atsalin restaurant, Luang Prabang, Lao.

Most of Luang Prabang shuts down relatively early. The bars will shut at 11:30 at the latest to allow tourists home before the midnight curfew (see seperate tip), and many restaurant will shut earlier than that. Allow me to share a real insiders tip with you. I am not suggesting you break curfew but I happened to live very close to this place and one of the nights I visited (New Years Eve) the curfew was lifted anyway.

This place really is a locals hangout and a very good way to eat like they do. In the several times I have visited I have only ever seen two other Westerners there. I have never worked out exactly how the menu works. I was there one night, quite late, and there was a full menu available yet another night, arriving much earlier, I was informed that there was only noodle soup available, albeit in a number of varieties. This appears to be the speciality of the house and it is remarkably tasty, although my personal favourite is the duck with steamed rice which is excellent.

Be aware though that if your tastebuds don't run to spicy food that this place caters for people who do and the food can be a bit spicy, especially if you add the condiments to the soup. If you want the food a little less fiery, ask for "bo pet" literally No spicy".

A word to the wise. If you really need a last beer before bed you can get one here if you eat, although don't say I told you so.

Favorite Dish: As above, the duck with steaqmed rice.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Khen Kaern Food Garden.: Sort out the larder.

by planxty Written Jan 5, 2010

Khen Kaern Food Garden, Luang Prabang, Lao.

Location, location, location, and this place has a superb location on the Nam Khan river with delightful views. It also has an extensive menu. When I say it has an extensive menu, it does but unfortunately most of it does not appear to be available. Admittedly, in my quest to eat exotic things I was ordering pretty strange things like wild venison and buffalo sausage but I think it was my fourth attempt when I managed to secure myself some some Luang Prabang sausage, very popular locally.

It was at this point that things went really downhill. I ordered some sticky rice to go with it. You have to remember that sticky rice is the absolute staple of Lao cuisine, it is ubiquitous, well ubiquitous bar this place. When the meal eventually came, it was served with steamed rice, and the young waiter explained they did not have sticky rice. I was dumbfounded. If you imagine an Irish kitchen without potatoes or an Italian kitchen with no pasta you would be getting close. The meal was OK although I have eaten much, much better in this city.

Perhaps chef was just having a bad day but I would give this place a miss when there are so many other really good options around.

Favorite Dish: I only had the Luang Prabang sausage and rice which was adequate but not exciting.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Ancient House?: Very fine breakfast.

by planxty Updated Jan 3, 2010

Restaurant, Ban Visoun, Luang Prabang, Lao.

This charming little place may or may not be called the Ancient House and there is no sign to advise you. The reason I say this is that on the menu there is a small selection of local dishes which they group under the title "Ancient House" food, although whether this refers to the restaurant name or the style of cooking I have no idea.

The majority of the menu is given over to breakfast and beverages, which it would appear to specialise in, and they do it extremely well. At home, I never eat breakfast but I have adapted my eating habits somewhat in this climate. I cannot eat in the heat of the day, so I tend to have a latish breakfast (well, I am in no hurry) and then eat again in the cool of the evening.

The restaurant is tiny consisting of three small tables set outside and you just watch the world going past in that relaxed Luang Prabang way. People wh have been there will know what I mean.

I opted for the set breakfast #3 which comprised of a well cooked plain omelette a whole warm baguette with btter and jam, a cup of the excellent Lao coffee and a plate of fresh fruit. Very filling and very tasty and, in the way of this country, ridiculously cheap, the bill coming to 20,000 kip which equates to about £1:60 sterling. What more can I tell you?

An excellent breakfast choice in a city with many of them.

Favorite Dish: The breakfast as described above.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Donesavanh restaurant.: Lovely riverside location.

by planxty Written Jan 3, 2010

View, Dhonesavanh restaurant, Luang Prabang, Lao.

The main draw here is the lovely riverside location (see photo) and it appears to be extremely popular with Lao locals. Indeed, when I visited on a Saturday lunchtime I was lucky enough to get recently vacated table, affording the view shown, which appeared to be the only free table in quite a large establishment.

Service, which can be a little sketchy in Lao, was prompt although I was somewhat surprised when the waitress informed me there was no Beer Lao, which is more a national institution than a national drink, so I opted for a (Singaporean) Tiger instead.

I cannot eat heavily in the heat of the day here so I opted for a Luang Prabang salad, as the name suggests, a local delicacy. Surprisingly, after a week or more here I had not sampled it, such is the huge array of wonderful food on offer. The salad consists of assorted leaves, tomato, boiled egg and cucumber with what the locals refer to as mayonnaise but is really more of a vinaigrette in consistency made to a specific local recipe. If you ask me nicely, I'll give you the recipe as I have it!

On paper, or should I say in cyberspace, this sounds like a fairly average egg salad but it really is much tastier than that. The reason for this is the leaves, many of which are only indigenous to this region. Whilst the recipe would work with mixed leaves I could get at home, it really wouldn't taste half as good. Although it was a huge serving, it was light and exactly what was required.

Getting to the place is a bit of a trek, involving a walk over a slightly rickety bamboo brisge. Apparently in the wet season a free boat is provided! Just a comment here. The bridge passes over a "stream" which was almost dried up and stagnant when I was here and, shall we say, a bit ripe. Do not let this put you off as there are no bad odours in the restaurant itself.

Recommended.

Favorite Dish: The local Luang Prabang salad, as described above.

• Wine Tasting

• planxty's Profile Photo

Chindarak Restaurant: A decent little place.

by planxty Written Jan 1, 2010

The photo shows the Chindarak restaurant although you would not know it was called that as there appears to be no sign. In fact, it looks like an annexe of the adjacent travel agency. However, reataurant it is with the usual Luang Prabang mix of Western and Lao food, all the standards.

I stopped here a few times for a beer or a coffee (the Lao coffee here is very good), and the only time I actually ate here was a breakfast of scrambled eggs, a baguette and coffee, which is a pretty standard offering in these parts. Although a simple meal it was well prepared and very tasty. The service is a little slow, but that is the norm in Lao so it is not really a criticism.

If you are in this street it is worth a visit although for Lao food I would recommend the nearby Adsilan (see seperate tip) which is truly excellent.

Favorite Dish: I only actually ate once, as above and the breakfast is good, as is the coffee.

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

The local specialty and pride of Laos:: Beer Lao!!!

delicious beer lao

On my daily search for local specialties I just couldnt miss the one and only, the great taste of the golden drink of the gods: BEER LAO
    It is really good stuff and also available as a stronger version: Beer Lao dark.

Nothing better against the heat than a cool Beer Lao ;-)

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

Streetkitchens:: grilled Mekong fish, frogs and more....

by tremendopunto Updated Jul 11, 2008

In the evening and nights the streetkitchens heat their fires and start some really good cooking! There is something for every taste, from rice and chicken to fried mekong fish to frogs or whatever else your heart might wish....Great taste for little money.

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

Streetkitchens:: Baguettes stalls on every corner

by tremendopunto Updated Jul 11, 2008

drive in baguette street stall

Another great thing you will see all over indochina - as well as Lunag Prabang in this case - are street stalls with delicious baguettes on every corner. A huge choice of things to put on it, every baguette gets customized according to your wishes. Cheap food with a great taste. Go for it!

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo

Restaurant terraces along the Mekong:: Enjoy the food with river panorama

by tremendopunto Updated Jul 11, 2008

Enjoy your food with the Mekonr river panorama

For the best panorama view try one of the many restaurant terraces along the Mekong River. Enjoy your delicious food along the beautiful river - the best for your tongue and eyes ;-) Everything tastes even better with such a view.

Instant Answers: Luang Prabang

Comments

Luang Prabang Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Luang Prabang restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Luang Prabang sightseeing.

View all Luang Prabang hotels