Luang Prabang Transportation

LONG DISTANCE BUS SERVICE TO VANG VIENG
  • BUS STOPOVER FOR MEAL BREAK TO VANG VIENG
    BUS STOPOVER FOR MEAL BREAK TO VANG...
    BUS STATION DROP OFF.. LUANGPRABANG

Most Recent Transportation in Luang Prabang

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Luang Prabang International Airport [LPQ]

by xuessium Written Nov 18, 2007

LuangPrabangAirport

The airport isn't very big and looked rather old....none of the luxuries of the big International Airports.

You embark and disembark right on the tarmac and walk right into custom clearance. Folks needing visa-on-arrival will have to purchase 1 there and then. There is only 1 luggage belt in Arrival. Wait patiently for your luggage before you exit the Arrival Gate. An officer will tear away your luggage identification tags before you could exit (I suppose it's some security thing) and they are quite particular about it. Thereafter, you'll exit the Arrival Gate and walk right into a carpark with a money exchanger on your right.

The Departure Hall is just next to the Arrival Hall but it's bigger with 1 small cafe and 1 very small shop. Remember to pay your Airport Tax and grab a receipt to show for it before entering customs.

The airport is generally served by 2 airlines: Lao Airlines and Bangkok Airways.

It is about half an hour from the Town centre via Tuk Tuk (US$5).

• Business Travel

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Getting to Luang Prabang from Singapore

by xuessium Written Nov 17, 2007

LaoAirlines

There are no direct flights.

From Singapore, make your way to Bangkok. There are 2 airlines flying into Luang Prabang directly from Bangkok: The more expensive Bangkok Airways and the more economical Lao Airlines.

Journey is 2 hours each way. Airplane used is the ATR-72, with propellers and with 2 stewardesses on board.

Meals are simple, and served efficiently. Don't expect any form of entertainment except for the inflight magazine....and there is no duty-free shopping.

Curiously enough, on both flights, me and my mate are the only Asians!

You can buy Lao Airlines tickets in Singapore via their agent, Maple Aviation:

• Business Travel

• andie1304's Profile Photo

Luang Prabang to Kunming, China

by andie1304 Updated Apr 29, 2007

There is a long distance bus service that plies between Vientiane and Kunming in Yunnan, China. This bus makes a stop in Luang Prabang. I boarded the bus in Luang Prabang and the trip to Kunming took 30 hours.

It was one of those sleeper buses, which are very common in China. Everybody has his own bunk bed in the bus and it is a pretty comfortable way for long distance travel. The only drawback for passengers taking a bed on the upper deck is that there is often not much head room and one has to remain lying down for the entire journey. I'm not complaining. I prefer lying down to not being able to do so when I'm extremely tired on a long journey.

The name of this company is called "Tongli" (in Chinese). Their so-called "office" is a restaurant in Luang Prabang. The place is on the same road as the long distance bus station for buses coming from Vientiane. If you make your way to the long distance bus station from the city, you will arrive at this restaurant before the bus station. It's on the right-hand side of the road and is marked by a sign with some Chinese words by the road.

The hall of the restaurant is raised above the ground. It appears to be a lazy place in the day without much activity. You can probably find some Chinese people sitting around, chatting, watching TV or napping. The restaurant is where the northbound buses from Vientiane make a dinner stop late at night. There is a bus stopping here every night. The estimated arrival time in Luang Prabang is around 10 or 11 pm. This can be later, depending on the road conditions from Vientiane. So, be prepared to wait.

This place doesn't seem to be known by most locals. I bought my ticket from the lady boss herself. She spoke Mandarin, and probably a little Lao.

The bus company has another office in Vientiane. That is at the long distance bus station where buses depart for Luang Prabang. This one is easier to find and people working at the bus station can probably point you to it if you ask them.

• Tedsocoa's Profile Photo

Local transport in Luang Prabang

by Tedsocoa Updated Mar 31, 2007

The best way for visiting LUANG PRABANG and around the city is to rent a bike. You'll see much more than on a tuk tuk or song-tew, it's quiet and for one USD a day you have a lot to see.
    Every one does it and you can rent them at almost every hotel or guesthouse.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Eureka!!! A ONE day boat to Luang Prabang!

by thedouglas Updated Mar 28, 2007

Complete with Beerlao!

After our last holiday, and taking a 2 day boat from Luang Prabang back to Huay Xai, and having more than a few mishaps, we were rapt to find this fairly new service.

A package arrangement with River Hill Hotel in Chiang Saen includes Laos visa, overnight accommodation and breakfast prior to the trip, transfer the 40km or so to Chiang Khong to catch the boat, transfer across the border, and onto the boat at Huay Xai. A very large packed lunch was also available from the hotel for 150Baht. There was also a bar on the boat, selling Beerlao, soft drinks and other snacks.

The one day trip was very easy - and smoothly run - until a passenger fell in the water! This caused some delay, whilst he was "retrieved" safely into the boat. The result of this was travelling in the pitch darkness for more than 1 hour at the end of the trip! We were very impressed with the navigational skills of the skipper.

First Class Bus

by thedouglas Updated Mar 11, 2007

First class transport

With the aim of keeping our itinerary flexible, we had no reservations for leaving Luang Prabang during our recent holiday. However, this resulted in a somewhat longer visit, due to limitations in transport. The increased number of tourists and the cessation of the fastboat service meant that the pressure was on airlines, slowboats and buses to get people to and from Luang Prabang.

We took a first class bus to Vientiane - which took a day's wait to get a booking. This bus cost about $1.50 more than the ordinary air conditioned bus, and included lunch.

The trip was very mountainous, slow and arduous and the airconditioning hardly rated, at least on the top - nor did lunch. So, message is, don't delay a day, and pay the big bucks! for the first class bus! Be aware if you are tall, that a front or aisle seat is highly desirable. The seating is allocated when you buy tickets.

Another small mentionable, was on the first stop into the trip, we noticed a plain clothed man with an AK47 amonst the passengers. There were soldiers placed periodically along the road as well. Apparently, there had been some shootings aimed at tourist buses over the past few months. We had no problems, nor felt threatened during our trip.

Fast boat? - I don't think so

by thedouglas Updated Mar 10, 2007

Brace yourself!

AS OF FEBRUARY, THIS MODE OF TRANSPORT TO AND AWAY FROM LUANG PRABAND HAS BEEN CANCELLED. This has caused a large amount of congestion in other services, and planes were booked out for several days.

We did not use this method of transport to or from Luang Prabang! We flew in from Bangkok - and decided to leave by slow boat - which I will address in another loooong post! The fast boats are absolutely deafening to those around, and can be hear coming from a long way off - and then as they depart. I can only imagine what it must be like for the passengers - none of whom looked enthralled.

I also can't imagine that they actually see anything. Every time I saw riverkill in the water, I just imagined the whole spectacle and smellacle of hitting one in one of the fast boats! We subsequently saw debri from these boats in the water, and wrecked ones in villages we entered - enough to convince us that the stories of weekly crashes are true.

• muddybok's Profile Photo

Boat Across Mekong

by muddybok Updated Jan 9, 2007

Boat

If you're visiting Pak Ao Cave by tuk-tuk or Jumbo to Ban Pak Ao village. I cannot remember how much I paid for a return trip, but quite low price.

While you're taking the boat across the river, please do not stand up right or you may risk losing your balance and bring everyone else (if not your own belonging + cameras) into the river.

• Photography

• stedeb's Profile Photo

Travel Agent

by stedeb Written Jan 1, 2007

We used a travel agent called Treasure Travel Laos to book a day trip to the caves & waterfalls. We also booked their 3 day Phonsovan trip which we felt was excellent value we paid $US90pp which included mini bus & driver, 2 nights accomodation with breakfast, guide for our 2 days on the plain of jars then drop off in Vang Vieng. The owner of the company Mr Sisombat Douangvilaykeo was very helpful and requested we give him feedback on his company. We were very happy with the service and told him so. His office is in the main street of Luang Prabang.

• National/State Park

• stedeb's Profile Photo

Take a bike

by stedeb Written Dec 30, 2006

I hired a push bike for the day for $US1, once I had mastered driving on the left, we drive on the right here in Austalia I had a great time. It is so easy to ride up and down the tiny streets waving to people as you go bantering with the boat drivers who are trying to sell you a boat ride even though you are on your bike!!! I discovered the trick is when entering a main road from a side road is to stick to the edge of the road going into the traffic and as soon as it clears head over to the correct side of the road!! the only thing I couldn't master was roundabouts I was okay to go straight through but to turn left several times I lost my huband as he managed to do the correct thing but I just kept going!!! it was so much fun and believe me I havent been on a bike in years!!! but would recomend doing this. There are plenty of places that hire bikes some are more upmarket than others I just took the standard bike but some do have fancy moutain bikes for a bit more money. Photos to follow

• From Thailand to Luang Prabang, Laos in 1 Day !

by JakiDL Updated Nov 14, 2006

There is a faster and still affordable way to travel from Thailand into Laos and Luang Prabang. We booked a package deal through a travel agents in Chiang Rai and spent one night at a hotel in Chiang Saen, then traveled from there to Chiang Kong to catch the 'luxury' boat from to Luang Prabang.

The boat journey took 10hrs and was covered in 1 day, rather than 2 days on the uncomforatble, cramped slow boats, or 6hrs on the life-threatening speedy boats. Our boat had comfortable seats, a dinning table and a uncovered sun lounging area. We saw the alternatives and they looked terrible.

We only stumbled across this 1 Day option by chance. These luxury boats are available, but i think are usually run as private tours. You can book the package we took directly through the Chaing Saen River Hill Hotel http://www.chiangsaenriverhill.com

Our package did include a night at the hotel, but i think you may be able to book the boat trip only. We loved sleepy, green Chaing Saen though and the hotel was great.

The road-travel time was no more than if we had caught a bus directly from Chiang Rai to Chiang Kong as we originally thought we would have to do. For us, this was difinitely the best option by far.

For more info on our journey down the Mekong river and pics of the boat, take a look at our blog. Link below.

Airport and transport away

by thedouglas Written Aug 8, 2006

Tiny little airport

Lao Airlinesis the national carrier and monopolises most flights into Laos. We flew with Bangkok Airways, and had our usual great flight with them. The airport is very small, but was remarkably efficient when we landed. We had our visas already stuck in our passports, having purchased them in Oz, and we were processed through very quickly.

Exiting the terminal (barely big enough to call it this!), we were ushered to a waiting jumbo, and taken into town in this airy transport.

• Durfun's Profile Photo

'Pit-stops' of the VIP tour coaches

by Durfun Written Jun 29, 2006

Stocking up on snacks

This is an example of the settings you'd encounter where the tour coaches stop for buying refreshments and to have roadside snacks.

Amongst the most popular purchases (most travellers were foreigners) were Oreo biscuits and Pringles, two things I suppose most Westerners are familiar with, and hence consider a 'safe' bet!

• National/State Park

• shintarojon's Profile Photo

Luang Prabang to Vientiane

by shintarojon Written May 23, 2006

(last date took the bus - Dec. 16, 2004)

Southern bus terminal, Luang Prabang to Vientiane

Bus fare - 70,000 kip
    Travel time - 8 hours

departure time : 7:30 p.m.
    arrival time - 3:45 a.m. (next day)

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

If you take the slow boat - take a book and food

by thedouglas Written Apr 23, 2006

If you take the slowboat, its 2 days full travel to either Vientiane or Huay Xai - and, while the scenery is beautiful, you really can't amuse yourself gawking at this all day. So, take a book. We didn't, although I caught up on my trip diary entries, I would have preferred a good book to absorb myself in.

Also, make sure you take FOOD - our boat sold drinks, but no food available, and there were no stops on our day 1 trip!

Instant Answers: Luang Prabang

Comments

Luang Prabang Transportation

Reviews and photos of Luang Prabang transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Luang Prabang sightseeing.

View all Luang Prabang hotels