Vientiane Favorites

• Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Vientiane

A Must in Vientiane (entrance 5000k) That Luang

by l_joo Updated Jul 11, 2007

A Must in Vientiane (entrance 5000k)

Favorite thing: A Must in Vientiane (entrance 5000k), visitors must pay 5000kips and 2000kips for bicycle parking before you go in. That Luang (Royal Stupa) is the name, it is worth go in with 5000 kips, the shining golden stupa is so beautiful.

Abandoned Cinema

by l_joo Updated Jul 10, 2007

Abandoned Cinema

Favorite thing: Abandoned Cinema, almost all cinemas in Vientiane are left empty like this, I saw more than just one. I think nowadays nobody bother to pay money to cinema, DVD at home with karaoke and self strip naked dancing...

Tuk-tuk

by l_joo Updated Jul 10, 2007

Tuk-tuk

Favorite thing: Tuk-tuk will cost you 20000 kips if you are not local, 5000 kips if you are local. I learnt the lesson after 2 or 3 times. So I get myself one 10000 and one 5000 note ready in hand, and I wave the Tuk-tuk and I bargain with him. Not a perfect idea but at least I need not pay additional 10000 kips.

• l_joo's Profile Photo

Vientiane mosque (only one)

by l_joo Written Jul 9, 2007

Vientiane mosque (only one)

Favorite thing: Yes, Vientiane mosque (only one), I saw this in the town center at the main tourists street. I went into the mosque to inspect the interior in near disbelief. At night I saw an old man, Indian muslim man, he walked to a Pakistani restaurant, with his white muslim hat on. I saw him sitting alone inside the restaurant, only one customer that evening.

Old Coffee shop of Laos-Chinese

by l_joo Written Jul 6, 2007

Favorite thing: Old Coffee shop of Laos-Chinese is where I enjoy the coffee 5000kip per glass (come with a glass of tea). They serve coffee together with free tea, you can drink the tea as much as you can. The young lady that served us coffee is a Laotian-Chinese, she said her family lived in Laos in the last four generations. She can speak a little broken Chinese Mandarin that she learnt from school.

Internet cafe

by l_joo Written Jul 1, 2007

Favorite thing: This tip is built in Vientiane's Internet cafe (main tourist street), average speed, not as fast as the Internet cafe in Thailand. Right now I'm sitting here to waste time for the 5.30 pm bus to the Thai border and NongKhai.

Vientiane is BEST for tourists !!!

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Watch the kids!

by thedouglas Written May 20, 2007

Favorite thing: These fond memories were from a small village where we stopped for a stretch and smoke - two little ones sitting out the front watching the big event for the morning - and the other group of mirror admirers!

The group of children spent ages looking at themselves in the shiny bumper bar! The things we take for granted!

• stedeb's Profile Photo

Booking accomodation in advance

by stedeb Written Jan 8, 2007

Favorite thing: The one place in Laos we had trouble finding accomodation was VN. Yes we could find very budget types but we had budgeted on $US20. We looked at several hotels and guest houses under $US20 and found several that were very dirty one told us yes we have 3 twin rooms and after we let our driver go he then said sorry I only have 2 rooms available(cant remember the name of htel sorry)!!!
    The Vayakorn staff gave us the name of 2 hotels to try both within walking distance from them. We also spoke to and saw a lot of back packers arriving daily without accomodation and having the same problems we had.
    If I was to visit VN again I would consider booking my accomodation before I went we spent several hours looking for accomodation. We never had this problem in any other place.

Lao Traditional Dress

by muddybok Updated Jun 8, 2006

Sweet!!

Favorite thing: She is a model for one of the photoshoot out. As usual, I like to aim at anything beautiful. Also add into my traditional costume collection album.

The costume some how quite similar to those that you see in Thailand. In fact, the Indo-china as a whole is quite closely related. Be it foods, local customs, transportations, wars in the past and etc.

Private Stupa

by muddybok Updated Mar 31, 2006

R.I.P.?

Favorite thing: I learned that it has been fashionable to keep ashes in some of these stupas for those who are rich.

It doesn't just apply to the big Buddha or monks. Anyone can afford one, can own one and be placed in one of those wats.

That reminded me of some loan sharks live near my old house owning great looking houses & sport cars. Only people who are earning an honest living like me will drive an old junk and renting a simple apartment.

• Hewer's Profile Photo

Laid back

by Hewer Written Mar 2, 2006

Heng Boon Rd, Vientiane

Favorite thing: Vientiane is a quiet city and is very different from other capitals in South-East Asia. It's probably the only place I'd be game to rent a car. Everything is fairly tame and it doesn't have the fast moving, chaotic pace.

This photograph is of Heng Boun Rd. at 5:30pm on a Friday afternoon. This road runs parallel to the Mekong four blocks back and would be considered one of the major roads in the city center. This should give you an idea of how relaxed the traffic situation is there.

• Hewer's Profile Photo

Healthy eats...

by Hewer Updated Jan 13, 2006

Illegal fruit vendor?

Fondest memory: I observed an unusual but heart-warming scene when I was in Vientiane. I was walking down a little side road next to That Luang when I passed a large elementary school. It must have been lunch time because it was very noisy in the playground. I observed three small kids (can't have been older than 8 or 9) dart out of the school gate and then sneak down the road to this vendor and his cart. They all had their wallets out and seemed to be making a few purchases. As I got closer, I noticed that it wasn't candy or chocolate, but fresh fruit and raw vegetables(!) The kids promptly hurried off with their purchases and cooly slinked back into the school. It was quite a comical scene but I was more surprised than anything else. I sneaked out of school a couple of times to go to the shop when I was that age, but I never bought anything near as healthy as that. I thought it was great to see and something I won't forget. I'd be thrilled if my kids were sneaking off to buy fruit and veggies :-)

by muddybok Updated Jun 24, 2005

Beer Lao

Favorite thing: There is only one beer that can be found in Laos, with the exception of a few hotels and expensive restaurants in Vientiane. Beer Lao is one of the best, if not the best beer in Asia - that's what all expatriates say who live in Laos.

TheBeerOrg, Georgia, USA
    Straw with fully diminishing head. Mild corn and malt aroma. Sparkling body, tiny bubbles. Dry and astringent. Better than most US pale lagers. Could taste the rice in this one, but it was not bad.

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

Namphou

by Blatherwick Written Apr 2, 2005

Namphou

Favorite thing: The namphou is in the middle of the central square in Vientiane. The fountain in the middle is a common meeting point and a good reference if you are ever lost. There are many restaurants with terraces where you can enjoy a dinner or a couple of drinks.

• beornot2be's Profile Photo

Cheapest Internet in Laos (Vientiane)

by beornot2be Written Feb 16, 2005

super cheap internet

Favorite thing: WOW!!! i was chocked...its even cheaper than China.
    So here is the deal:
    its 2000 kip/hour (0,2 usd) and its a bit far from the center.

Compared to the north of Laos, where internet can cost you up to 700 kip/min (42 000 kip/hour , 4.2 usd)
    700 kip/min (Undomxai)
    150 kip/min (Luang Prabang)
    300 kip/min (Vang Vieng)
    *33,3 kip/min (Vientiene)

So the place can be tricky to find
    If you walk on the right side onThat Luang Rd. (embassy road) towards the stupa, you will see a small sign "Hi-Speed Internet 2000 kip/h" just before "KOLAO Motors"
    follow the small signs pass a school, and at the "Japanese Language Center" turn left...

Fondest memory: i will miss the cheap internet.

Instant Answers: Vientiane

Comments

Vientiane Favorites

Reviews and photos of Vientiane favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vientiane sightseeing.