Places to eat in Laos

Most Viewed Restaurants in Laos

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

Sabai Sabai: Local & International Dishes

by Avieira67 Updated Jan 21, 2015

I don't know what I ordered for dinner, but it was a meat dish with fried aubergine and vegetables. It was served with sticky rice. To drink, I ordered Lao beer. For dessert, it was banana pancake.
    I have found this small charming restaurant offering a good ambience, service and quality.

• GenuinelyCurious's Profile Photo

L'Elephant, Luang Prabang: Delightful French-Asian fusion

by GenuinelyCurious Updated Apr 4, 2011

L'Elephant simply shouldn't be missed. It is such a delight for all the senses from visual display and ambience, to taste of course. The food uses a variety of local ingredients powered by french technique and the price can't be beat.

Favorite Dish: Check the attached menu. The fried dried beef with river seaweed was particularly toothsome

• Makphet: Eating for a cause.

by winga Written Sep 5, 2010

The restaurant is run by Friends International (www.friends-international.org). It helps the integration of adolescents by teaching them to cook and wait tables. The food consists typically of Lao dishes very tasty.

• Mekara Restaurant: Excellent local restaurant - Nong Kiau/Nong Khiaw

by SteenKR Written Nov 28, 2009

About 100 meters after the bridge coming from Nong Kiau Village you'll find an extremely nice restaurant on the left hand side of the road. Mekara sure doesn't look like much but serves delicious Lao dishes of all kinds suitable for everyone.
    The owner, Dyane, speaks great English and is a very friendly and glad person, which adds to the experience. He runs the restaurant with his wife and mother - none of which speaks a word of English but both carrying big enough smiles to make you forget the language barrier.
    During my one month in Nong Kiau I had dinner at Mekaras five or six times and breakfast twice. Always tasty and wellprepared and tasty meals.

Favorite Dish: I couldn't point our one specific dish that I prefer.

• Hiking and Walking

• magor65's Profile Photo

Would you like a sandwich?

by magor65 Written Jul 31, 2008

A baguette with 'what you wish' inside seems to be very popular with foreigners in Laos. The sandwiches are usually made in food markets and at some places they also serve coffee so you can have a full breakfast or lunch without wasting much time or money.
    The most common ingredients for your sandwich can include: roast chicken, eggs, tofu, tomato, cucumber, lettuce and mayo. You may consider the hygienic (or rather non-hygienic) aspects of the dish, like dirty hands, unwashed vegetables, dust of the place - but who, coming to Asia, would worry about such things?

Would you like a sandwich?

• magor65's Profile Photo

Restaurants with ambience

by magor65 Written Jul 31, 2008

You won't find many restaurant tips on my pages. It's not that I don't like eating out, on the contrary - I love it. But I must confess I'm very conservative or even suspicious about the things I eat. No seafood for me, please! I know that tasting local food is part of discovering a new country, but I can't conquer my inhibitions. My sister-in-law looked at me with horror when I ordered spaghetti carbonara in Laos. So not to get on her nerves I usually had fried rice with vegetables, of course washed down with lao beer and I was perfectly happy.
    What I looked for when we were picking out where to eat was the ambience rather than food. Luang Prabang has lots of atmospheric places. Our favourite ones were riverside restaurants with a view on the Mekong. Sitting at a table shaded by trees, away from the street noise, drinking excellent cold beerlao and eating my vegetarian rice I was thinking : 'what a wonderful world'.

a restaurant with ambience fried rice and beerlao

• LakeFever's Profile Photo

The Bakery on the main drag.: Food In Luang Prabang

by LakeFever Updated May 9, 2008

We were out with some friends we met on the slow boat over from Thailand. After spending a couple days on a boat together it was good to sit down for a well put together meal. The place was full and drinks were flowing. Food looked decent all around but did proove to be one of our most expensive meals in all of Laos.

Favorite Dish: Well I had the burger....seemed like one of the only times we were able to get good beef......well, something hearty anyway. The bun was fresh which is a large component of any good burg.

• Beer Tasting

• KPP: KPP - the place to be!

by Jaktim Written Oct 23, 2006

KPP is a local restaurant in Vientiane where the food is fantastic...whether you want western soup, pizza, pasta or traditional Lao dishes. The food is always served up with a smile from one of the charming waiters. It only cost about $2 for a meal.

Favorite Dish: Probably pizza...very tasty...pastas also good.

• Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• sengta's Profile Photo

Blue Lagoon Restaurant, Luang Prabang, Laos: A mixture between swiss and Real Lao kitchen

by sengta Written Oct 19, 2006

A balanced mix of eastern and western deli-cacies are awaiting you at our café. You will find Laotian highlights and Swiss classics as well as tender local beef and a large variety of delicious snacks and fresh salad creations

Favorite Dish: Fish Choumkong ( Roll Fish with lemon grass cream sauce.

• Desert
    • Museum Visits

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

Offered at bus stops: Rats

by SurfaceTravel Written Aug 28, 2006

Every time the bus stopped in Laos, vendors would appear shoving their ware through the bus windows. We actually saw cooked rats on a stick, and other people buying and eating them. Sorry to say, we never worked up the nerve to try them.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

River front restaurants: Go to the river!!

by easterntrekker Written Jun 15, 2006

If you aren't staying on the Mae Khong river , do yourself a favour and make your way their for dinner.

There are so many little resturants all the way along. Down one end there is a cute bar / restaurant popular for watching the sunset.

Favorite Dish: We loved the fried shrimp and beer. How can you not . A huge serving was with couple of beer cost about $4.00. Unbelievable!!

We ate right across the street from the Beau Rivage Mea Khong Hotel and had great seats for the sunset!!

A bar restaurant with a view
    • Seniors

• RosieMolly's Profile Photo

L'Elephant Brasserie: Overpriced French Food

by RosieMolly Written Jun 5, 2006

We had been advised to eat at L'Elephant by friends who had been there the previous year.I had onion soup and Coq au Vin.daryl had 1/2 dozen snails and the local fish.With 2 glasses of the house wine our bill came to $46 USD.Very expensive by Lao standards and all over the food was uneventful and ordinary

• neogary's Profile Photo

Nam Ou Guesthouse and Restaurant: Great View of Nam Ou River

by neogary Written Apr 7, 2006

This restaurant in Muang Khua is hidden from the main road. As i arrived late at night in Muang Khua, i had some difficulty locating it, but after some kind help from the locals, finally managed to locate this nice family-owned place.

Favorite Dish: The fried yellow noodle is one of the best i've had in Laos, really tasty, or maybe i was hungry, haha.

Signboard of Restaurant @ main road Narrow path leading to restaurant Signboard @ restaurant Restaurant as seen from the river bank

• largerama's Profile Photo

Cafe Croissant D'Or: As French as France in Vientiane

by largerama Written Mar 7, 2006

Very open and garden-like setting, the cafe is a tranquil place to sit and have a coffee, breakfast or lunch. The pastries, bread and coffee are very French and everything is French.

Favorite Dish: Try the Pan de Chocolat

• dimitrib's Profile Photo

Riverside stalls: Mekong foodstalls Vientianne

by dimitrib Written Nov 4, 2005

Order fried or steamed fish with sticky rice, or any of the amazing dishes served here. You would generally order 3 plates for 2 persons, but the food here is so tasty and cheap that I ordered and ate 3 plates for myself. Have large Lao beers with your meal.

The kitchen here is a mixture of Lao and Issan (Thai). Not to be missed!

Favorite Dish: Chicken larb, a spicy mixture of marinated chicken with steamed vegetables, rice and Nam Prik, a hot sauce.

Laos Hotels

9 Reviews - 10 Photos
Luang Namtha Hotels
24 Reviews - 84 Photos

Instant Answers: Laos

Comments

Laos Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Laos restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Laos sightseeing.
Map of Laos