A-Ma Temple, Macao
the local deity of Macau is the Taoist Goddess Matsu which they call am-a and this local macanese temple was built in 1488 by the local macanese fishermen as the goddess Matsu was the Goddess of Fishermen and then the Portuguese Landed in the 15th century here, due to miscommunication, the that the the Name of the territory was Ama Gau and hence they renamed it Macau. The Ama Temple is one of the popular stops for tourists and inside the temple are series of classical Chinese architectural treasures, Stone Lions, a large Statue of Matsu, the Zhengjiao Chanlin Hall, the Hall of Avalokitesvara and a lot more. There are also various souvenir stals beside the temple complex.
admission is free and the temple is open from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm everyday
The A-Ma Temple was an interesting sight that we visited at the end of our daytour through Macao.
The temple dates back to the year 1488 and it was very interesting for me to walk through it and enjoy the great views of Macao from there, as the temple was built into a hill.
In 2005 the A-Ma temple was listed by the UNESCO as a world-heritage.
A-Ma Temple is located on the southwest tip of the Macau Peninsula. Built in 1488, it is one of the oldest and most famous temples in Macau. Tthe temple is dedicated to Matsu, the goddess of seafarers and fishermen.
The first Portugese sailors landed on the coast near the temple and on asking the name of the peninnsula were told Maa Gao, the name of the temple. It has been called Macau ever since.
The temple became listed on UNESCO World Heritage List in 2005.
The temple has been built into a steep hillside and provides beautifuls views as well as a place to worship and meditate.
Not much to see here, temples here and there, take pictures all you want. don't forget to buy souvenirs outside, theres this small store (near or under a tree at the park), the price is not that bad and the quality is good compared to others
There's a lot of old buildings here in Macao, the oldest of which is known as A-Ma Temple which dates back to the Ming Dynastry (1368-1644).
It's beautiful and still very much in use, filled with throngs of followers and even more monks.