Macao Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Macao

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Bring Appropirate Attire for the Season

by machomikemd Written Oct 7, 2014

Macau is located in a Semi-Temperate Area and has 4 seasons (but it never snows here during the winter) So Bring approprate gear for the season. During the Summer Season and Fall Season is also the typhoon season, so when visiting during these seasons, I would suggest you just bring T-Shirts more so the light colored ones as to somewhat deflect the heat instead of the dark colored ones which absorb heat. Also Bring Jeans and or walking shorts or cargo shorts so that you will be more comfortable and not feeling heavy when walking around. Bring a small umbrella (portable one) or a water repellent jacket for the sudden rain showers and the occasional Typhoons during summer & Fall time so that you would not feel drenched and sun block too if you don't want to get a tan or be sunburned while walking around the humid heat. Lastly, don't forget carrying sun glasses and a baseball cap too.

• Hiking and Walking

• Do not plan a quick trip through the border!

by captnosweat Written Sep 22, 2008

While traveling in S.E.Asia last fall, I decided to spend a few days in Macau, to see the new construction and visit the heritage sites. Under Macau, Orbitz listed a number of hotels on the bay, shown on their map as 1 mile from the center of town, in a neighborhood called Bihai. When I arrived, I went through customs, called the hotel, and was told to get a cab from the ferry terminal. At the terminal, I entered Chinese customs and was detained for several hours for unexplained health inspection. This teaming worker border crossing has no provision for foreigners. Luckily, I had arrived very early, was able to call the hotel, cancel the reservation, walk back to Macau, and check in at another hotel. I e-mailed Orbitz, as their 800 number does not work overseas. I called Orbitz to inform them of the error on their site when I got home. When the charge showed up on my MerrillLynch Visa account, I requested it be removed. Orbitz said that the booking was self booked, and they would not remove the charge. I called the Bihai hotel, and they confirmed the reservation was cancelled and no charge was made. I believe Orbitz’s policy is dishonest. So much for the safety of on-line bookings!

• chuck_taylor's Profile Photo

Warning: Some locals might frustrate/offend you

by chuck_taylor Written Dec 27, 2007

I experienced this mostly on the Ferry Terminal as a lot of Mainland Chinese go through this place. They will cut into queue just because they're in a hurry. It felt like this was way to common for other people to care and tell them off. There was a guy who walked right into my trolley and bags which slipped off my hands and dropped to the floor just because he was hurrying to get his food. He looked at my baggages and took his tray and walked away. I figured theres no point in arguing:P

Instant Answers: Macao

Comments

Macao Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Macao warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Macao sightseeing.