The best sightseeing point of Macao before the construction of TV tower was Penha hill, occupied with a chapel built in 1867 in place of a former chapel from the 17th century. Nearby there's a replica of Lourdes cave, and an image of the holy Virgin.
The first chapel was founded in 1622 by the crew and passengers of a ship which had narrowly escaped capture by the Dutch. The chapel served as a point of pilgrimage for sailors embarking on a hazardous voyage. The chapel was completely rebuilt, along with the Biship’s Palace in 1837. It is open daily from 9am to 5:30pm.
This is a beautiful church located on top of a hill giving a bird's eye view of Macau Tower and Taipa. Many Hong Kong movie/TV studios use this church as a backdrop. The chapel was completely rebuilt, along with the Bishop' s Palace in 1837. It is open daily from 9 am to 5:30 pm.
Located on the top of Penha Hill on the Southern part of Macau, Penha chapel can be visited and in front of it a courtyard offers some fine views of Macau and Taipa.