The "Senado" square is paved with a wave-patterned mosaic of coloured stones, created by Portuguese experts.
From the main road to the church of St. Dominic, the pavement extends to the ruins of St. Paul's, making the heart of the city a pedestrian paradise.
More than S. Paulo ruins, this square is, for the Portuguese, the real visual reference of Macao.
St. Dominic's Church, in Senado's square, dates from the early 17th century.
It has an imposing facade of cream-coloured stone with white stucco mouldings and green-shutted windows. Inside, white pillars support a flat ceiling and apron balconies trim the walls. The great baroque altar contains a cream and white statue of the Virgin and Child and a painting of Christ. The church has a fine collection of exquisitely-carved ivory and wood saints.
St. Dominic's Church has a violently dramatic past. In 1644 a military officer who supported the Spanish against the Portuguese was murdered at the alter during Mass.
In 1707 the Dominicans sided with the Pope against Macau's bishop in the Rites Controversy. When local soldiers tried to enforce an excommunication order on them, the friars locked themselves in the church for three days and pelted the soldiers with stones.
In 1834 the monastic orders were suppressed and for a time the church was used by the government as barracks, stable and public works office.
St. Dominic's Church was renovated in 1997 and opened to the public with a museum, on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor. The museum shows paintings, sculptures and liturgical ornaments that illustrate the history of the Roman Catholic church in Asia.
The project of Kun Iam Ecumenical Center designed by a Portuguese Architect, Cristina Rocha Leiria, was planned for construction by Macau Government in 1997, while preparing the transition to Chinese sovereignty.
The big Kun Iam statue, of 20 meters suffered several modifications, but it keeps an oriental look according to the eyes of an European.
This church stands on the site of a chapel founded in 1558, the first to be built in Macau.
The history of the present building is explained on a plaque by the door: "Built in 1638. Burnt in 1809. Rebuilt in 1810. Burnt again in 1874. Repaired in 1875". However, there is a cross in the churchyard bearing the date of 1636. Another fire forced to another restoration in 1930 and further work was done on the facade and tower in 1940.
St Anthony is the Portuguese protector of marriages so the members of the Portuguese community selected this church for their wedding ceremonies. The sight of flowers was the base for the Chines name: Fa Vong Tong (Church of Flowers).
Standing in Lotus Square next to the Forum, the large sculpture of "Lotus Flower In Full Bloom" presented by the State Council of China in 1999, marks the return of sovereignty of Macau to China.
The sculpture, made of gilded bronze and weighting 6.5 tons, is 6 meters high and the diameter of the flower is 3.6 meters at maximum. The major part is composed of a stem, petals and pistil, with a total of 16 components. The base of the flower consists of 23 pieces of red granite.
The lotus flower, which is in full bloom, symbolizes the everlasting prosperity of Macau.
There are three layers of red granite at the base, which are in the shape of lotus leaves, signifying the Macau Peninsula, Taipa Island and Coloane Island.
The former Portuguese governor's residence became in 1999 the official residence to the President of Regional Government.
No visible transformations were made, and the Portuguese colonial look is clear.
One of the best examples of Portuguese colonial architecture, the old St. Raphael hospital is now one of the biggest Portuguese diplomatic representations in the world.
Its actual look comes from a reconstruction in 1939.
It must be a pleasant place to go in a hot day, this shady garden.
Supported in a myth (the shipwreck of Camões, the top Portuguese writer of ever, in Macao's coast and his struggle to save the manuscript of "Lusiadas") this garden has a remarkable example of Portuguese cobblestone walkways surrounding Camões statue.
Sorry we were there under a strong rain...
Mount Fortress was built by Jesuits as part of the construction together with the college and the Church of St. Paul's in 1617-26. Those cannons were only used once when the dutch invaded Macau in 1622. This 10,000 sq meters areas was the principal military defence structure of Macau. Today, it is a public park with great views of the Macau City.
Great Views, Don't miss..
Chapel of the St. Michael is a small church situated in the middle of St. Michael Cemetery. It is a small hill with landscape catholic cemetery, beautiful and classical European styles cemetery. The Chapel was built in 1875 colored in green and white. It has beautiful stain glass window that allowed natural sunlight from outside.
Hac Sa means black sand in Cantonese. Hac Sa Beach is the largest natural beach in Macau, located southeast of Coloane Island. You will find the sand in mixture of colors between grey, black or brown. It looks dirty on the water, actually it is a clean beach for swimming. While I was there in 2005, there were several housing development facing the beach. On a clear day, you can see Lantau Island from the beach.
This is my favorite place to visit in Taipa, Macau. There are 5 typical green houses with Macaunese architectural styles. The two houses to the east are used for receptions and special exhibitions, the other three houses to the west permanent collections. They were the residence of high superiors and rich macanese families. This museum is opened to public on 5 Dec 1999 to showcase the lifestyle, the way of life in the 20th century.
Opening Hours: 10am-6pm.
Senado Square is the centre of the former Portuguese colony It is a beautiful square with Portuguese pavement and Mediterranean and European style architectural buildings. There are boutique shops, restaurants, offices, etc in the square. Avenida de Almeida Ribeiro street is the street through the square all the way to the Ruins of St. Paul's.
This church was built by 3 Spanish Dominican priests in 1590. The facade is painted yellow with green wooded doors. In 1644, a military who supported the Spanish against the Portuguese was murdered during mass in the building. In 1707, the Dominicans sided with the Pope against the Macau's bishop in the Rites Controversy. In 1834, the monastic orders were suppressed by government. The church was used as barracks, stable, and public work office.
Currently, it is not only a Church, but a museum with history and culture of Catholic Churches in Asia.
Lou Lim Leoc garden is a famous Chinese garden in Macau. It was a residence and garden of a wealthy Chinese merchant named Lou Kau in the 19th century. It inherited by his son, Lou Lim Leoc in 1906. Due to the family's fortune declines, it was sold to the government in 1974. The government has restored the park as an attraction till today.
This is classical Chinese garden with a large Pavilion surrounded by lotus flowers, landscaped gardens, and groves of bamboo. You can enjoy the views of lotus flowers with Chinese pavilion through the zigzags bridge across the pond.
Opening Hours: 6am-9pm.
Beautiful garden !! Don't miss...
Rua do Visconde Paco de Arcos, Macau, Macau Region, China
Good for: Couples
I've been fortunate to stay in both the Wynn and Encore suites as well as Wynn Club level apartments...more
Last year we spent two nights at the Venetian as the Wynn was booked solid. Suffice to say, it was...more