Kun Iam Tong Temple or the Temple of Goddess of Mercy is located at Avenida do Coronel Mesquita in Macau. It was constructed in the 13th Century. The temple is one of the oldest and the wealthiest Chinese temples in Macau.
The round table made of granite complete with four chairs where the first treaty of trade and friendship between the United States of America and China was signed in 1844 are located behind the temple. The temple has a lovely garden with a lovely fountain, vegetation and strange looking trees. Admission to the temple is free.
Leal Senado (Loyal Senate in Portuguese) is located at Senado Square in the heart of Macau. Leal Senado building has been list as World Heritage Site by UNESCO. It was the seat of Macau government when Macau was a Portuguese colony before 1999. The building was constructed in 1784. It is a fine example of Portuguese architecture in the Far East. Today it is the home of the headquarters of Institiute of Civic and Municipal Affairs and also houses a library.
The heart of Macanese Tourism. Here, you can shop, eat and rest. You'll find boutiques, pharmacies, restaurants, post office, souvenir shops, church etc all squeezed into this little square. The swirling tiled pathway and the grand Iberian style of architecture give a nice and sophiscated European feel to the overall image of the location.
The Ruins of St. Paul is basically a facade of the Cathedral of St. Paul. It was built in the early 17th Century by Jesuits. It was at one time the largest Catholic church in Asia. Today it is a great tourist attraction and is one of the most famous landmarks in Macao. The Ruins of St. Paul was designed as World Heritage Site by UNECO in 2005.
At 338m above ground, Macau Tower is the 10th tallest tower in the world. Gaze down at Macau and take awe at the view from 2 observatory decks - the enclosed air-conditioned one on the 58th storey and the open air one at the 61st storey. There is a rotating restaurant on the 59th as well.
Entry fee for 1 adult is 70 patacas (circa May 2005)
(Photo attached below, courtesy of the folks at AJ Hackett)
Given as a gift to the Territory government by the Chinese Central government, the monument is casked as a Golden Lotus - the symbol of post 1999 Macau. Would be interesting to drop by and take a shot or two, simply for the novelty of it. Tour buses full of mainland tourists always make a point to stop here.
Everyone flocks here. You might as well.
The facade of an old cathedral that was destroyed in a fire almost 100 years ago. Today, it is the symbol of Macanese Tourism.
There are staircases behind the facade, allowing you to climb all the way to the "windows" and take a view. Come in the evening and you will see the facade lights up beautifully.
Also, take a look at the museum of sacred arts behind in a below road-level chamber. One wing contains Catholic artefacts while the other wing showcased bones and skulls of prosecuted believers of Catholicism in the early days.
This is one beautiful church right in the heart of the shopping hub of Senado Square. Recently renovated, both the exterior and the interior are beautiful and is well worth a visit while doing your shopping in Senado Square.
Admission is free.
See Macau from Monte Fort, which is located on a hill. From its vantage position, you could get a 360 degree view of Macau as you walk around the Fort. Wonderful place for panaromic photography. See the many cannons which were intended for the defence of Macau during its early days. Hop into the Macau Museum which is part of the Fort while you are there.
Standing proud off the waters of Macau, along Avenida Dr. Sun Yat Sen, the Statue of Kun Lam & Ecumenical Center is fast becoming another symbol of Macau. Critics has claimed that the statue does not resemble the typical Chinese deity look of the Boddhisattva Avalokishvara or "Guan Yin" - the Goddess of Mercy & Compassion (afterall, it was designed by a Portuguese lady) Folks have wondered whether this is the Virgin Mary or the Kun Iam.
Nonetheless, this is the tallest bronze standing statue of Kun Lam, in the world.
Admission to the centre is free, and it is great spot to see the Macau Tower and catch some sea breeze.
All that remains of the greatest of Macau’s chruches is its magnificent stone facade and grand staircase. The church was built in 1602 adjoining the Jesuit College of St. Paul’s, the first Western college in the Far East where missionarie such as Matteo Ricci and dam Schall studied Chinese before serving at the Ming Court in Peking as astronomers and mathematicians. The church, made of taipa and wood, was brilliantly decorated and fiurnished, according to early travellers. The facade of carved stone was built 1620-27 by Japanese Christian exiles and local craftsmen under the direction of Italian Jesuit Carlo Spinola. After the expulsion of the Jesuits, the college was used as an army barracks and in 1835 a fire started in the kitchens and destroyed the college and the body of the church. The surviving facade rised in 4 colonnaded tiers, and is covered with carvings and statues which eloquently illustrate the early days of the Church in Asia. There are statues of the Virgin and saints, symbols of the Garden of Eden and the Crucifixion, angels and the devil, a Chinese dragon and a Japanese chrysanthemum, a Portuguese sailing ship and pious warning inscribed in Chinese.
The original church was built by Spainsh Augustinian friars in 1586 and taken over by the Portuguese three years later. The present building dates from 1814 and has a spacious interior with three aisles separated by colonnades. The marble-clad high altar contains a statue of Christ carrying the cross. It is said that when this statue was taken to the Cathedral by Church authorities it would mysteriously return to the altar of the church. In commemoration the procession of Our Lord of the Passion (Nosso Senhor dos Passos) is held every year on the first Sunday of Lent. The statue is taken to the Cathedral for a night and next day is carried through the streets where the Stations of the Cross are set up, and, attended by the clergy and hundreds of citizens, is restored to St. Augustine’s. When the Augustinians were expelled in 1712, the Passos procession was cancelled. It was a time of food shortage and the local Chinese associated the two events. They asked that 'the man with the cross' walk the streets again and when the Church agreed the shortage ended. Among the people buried in the church is Maria de Moura, a romantic heroine who 1710 married Captain António Albuquerque Coelho in spite of his having lost an arm when attacked by one of her unsuccessful suitors. She died in child-birth and is buried with her baby and António’s arm.
The first chapel was founded in 1622 by the crew and passengers of a ship which had narrowly escaped capture by the Dutch. The chapel served as a point of pilgrimage for sailors embarking on a hazardous voyage. The chapel was completely rebuilt, along with the Biship’s Palace in 1837. It is open daily from 9am to 5:30pm.
Built 1617-26, Monte Forte occupies 21,000 square feet in an irregular quadrangle with bastions at each corners. It contained barracks, cisterns and storehouses capable of sustaining a siege of up to two years. Constructed by the Jesuits of chunambo on granite foundations, with brick gauardrooms and cannon housings, the fort was part of a complex together with the college and church of St. Paul.
The cannons commanded very wide fields of fire, covering the Inner and Outer Harbours and the Chinese border. The guns were used only once, when the Dutch invaded Macau in 1622. A cannonball fired by a priest from Monte hit the invaders' powder key, creating total confusion in which the Portuguese and their African slaves drove the Dutch back to sea.
Today the fort is a public park, with fine views of St. Paul’s and the city. It is also used by the meteorology department to study the weather which is open for visitors to see the tracking charts and weather-watching equipment. There is a tourist information office at the entrance.
Opening hours :
May to September - 6:00am to 7:00pm
October to April - 7:00am to 6:00pm
Built 1637-38 on the highest point of Macau, by Captain of Artillery, António Ribeiro, it occupies 8,600 square feet in a rough pentagon, as dictated by the irregular terrain. The walls are of masonry and rise about 10 feet in a gentle slope, with two of the original brickwork turrest. It was designed to defend the border with China but because of its poistion overlooking the entire city, its chief value has been as an observation post. It contained barracks, a water cistern, ammunition and equipment stores, the commander’s house and a hermitage dedicated to Our Lady of Guia. The fort’s dominating feature is the lighthouse, built in 1865 and the oldest on the China coast. It is 52.5 feet high and has a light which can be seen for 20 miles in clear weather. Originally it was lit by paraffin, and changed to electrical power in 1909. Beside the lighthouse, there is a post where signals are hoisted to warn of an approaching typhoon. In earlier times storm warnings were announced form the bell-tower of the hermitage. There is a small chapel with a very simple altar, a few antique picutres and the remains of colourful paintings which once covered the ceilings and walls. At the entrance is a grave-stone stating in Portuguese : 'Here lies at this gate the remains of Christopher, by accident, for his body does not deserve such an honourable sepulchre'. Who he was and why he is buried here are both mysteries. One of the guardhouses is now a tourist information centre and cafe. It is opening daily between 9.00am to 5:30pm. A panoramic view can be seen through a coin operated telescope.
Rua do Visconde Paco de Arcos, Macau, Macau Region, China
Good for: Couples
I've been fortunate to stay in both the Wynn and Encore suites as well as Wynn Club level apartments...more
Last year we spent two nights at the Venetian as the Wynn was booked solid. Suffice to say, it was...more