Borneo Things to Do

the "walkway"

Most Recent Things to Do in Borneo

Check out the Graffiti

by theguardianangel Updated Jan 19, 2015

After dropping by the Jesselton Terminal, my friend and I spotted this ruins of a building infront of the Suria Sabah Mall. The posts are filled with colorful paintings which may look like vandalism to others but for us and to a few, it’s an artwork.

We had a moment to have a photoshoot.. then few people start taking pictures too. It's always cool to initiate something new (call that competitiveness).

Art Crimes pout as long as you can Love Art

Waterfront Esplanade

by theguardianangel Written Jan 2, 2015

I find this place very interesting! Everywhere I walk, there's something that catches my attention- flowers, trees, aroma of food from the restaurants. This place can provide anything you need- malls, park, (seafood, local, Indian) restaurants, hotel/s.

It's worth the very long walk:)

forgot the name of this mall

Handicraft Center

by theguardianangel Written Jan 1, 2015

The handicraft center is located past the central market when you walk from Jalan Sugut. It seems that this also serves as a souvenir place. The colorful things hanging around the shops are inviting but because I don't like spend much on this trip, I just looked at the shops from the outside but not entered even 1 shop so I don't have any idea how much the products cost. There are shirts, costumes, bags, post cards, etc. being sold.

Port View

by theguardianangel Written Jan 1, 2015

It kinda fascinates me when I travel and get a closer look how the locals earn their living. After a short stop in the Jalan Sugut (blue marlin mini park), we walked further and stopped for a while in the port to watch the locals catch fish, prepare the fish delivery, watch boats, birds, people...

There are also a few restaurants found nearby.

I like to catch 1..

Mini Park at Jalan Sugut

by theguardianangel Written Jan 1, 2015

This is a relaxing place to have a look at the bright sky and blue water. If you love photography or want to take a short break after a long walk, you can stop by the mini park located near the blue marlin statue. There are a lot of restaurants and souvenir shops found along the walkway. The central market is also nearby.

sunny day love these fishes! Central Market

Atkinson Clock Tower

by theguardianangel Updated Jan 1, 2015

Atkinson Clock Tower is the oldest standing structure in KK, built in memory of the first district officer who died of Borneo Fever in 1902.

My friend and I are lucky to be staying nearby this tower. The hostel where we stayed is just adjacent to the road where the Atkinsons Clock Tower is located. It’s a great view to see it during the sunrise and sunset. During sunrise, I imagine painting the view - when there are a flock of birds flying with the orange and white strips of cloud. It’s one of my peaceful moments in life.

My friend and I decided to have a closer look when he headed back to the hostel after wandering. Honestly, what’s more interesting when you get closer to the tower is the view.

What's good about it: No entrance fee:))

sunrise view from the hostel at night

Signal Hill Observatory Tower

by theguardianangel Written Dec 29, 2014

My friend and I are just walking around the city until we found ourselves in the footsteps of this tower. It’s a bit challenge for me to go upstairs since I started not to feel good (ate too muchxD) but when we finally reached the top, I sighed for a relief and for the great view of - almost the entire city, the nearby islands, the mountains, etc. There’s a small store located near the pavilion where you can buy refreshments while enjoying watching the sunset.

Great thing: No entrance fee:)

this is what I'm talking about! the entrance get ready for the trail

Jesselton Point Ferry Terminal

by theguardianangel Written Dec 29, 2014

This is the terminal where I thought there’s nothing much to see until we wandered around. If you love nature - water, wind, silence (not until passengers get off from the ferries), it’s nice to spend some quiet time here.. watch some divers, people, ferries come and go. It’s a short walk from the central KK, just past the mall. There are a number of restaurants with shaded seats outside and souvenir shops are found inside the terminal.

Sunny afternoon this is what we call the something to cool you;)

• Madasabull's Profile Photo

Ais kacang (Shaved Ice, and other stuff!)

by Madasabull Written Feb 21, 2014

Ais kacang (Iced Beans) is the weirdest drink, to me anyway. It was also in Brunei, and no doubt it will be in a lot of other countries too, but it did nothing at all for me, and made me feel sick at the first taste. My wife on the other hand, loved it.

My new Borneo friend told me it is also called ABC (Air Batu Campur) which literally translates to Crushed Ice Mix.

We had it at Tanjung Aru Beach, and if I had known that Ais Kacang translates as Iced Beans, I would have not ordered. I mean it was only a few pence, but if you don't like something.

It was shaved ice, sweetcorn, red beans, syrup, and jelly. I know! It even sounds horrid. But I am told that it is a real treat for the locals, and was originally created as a health drink many years ago.

It's not just beans and corn that is added, I am told they put all sorts of things in it, and call it a treat or health drink.

Even the straw was about a cm in diameter so you could get a red bean up it without it getting stuck. I have to stop here because I'm feeling sick just writing about it.

Tanjung Aru Beach

You can see the sweetcorn and beans, and jelly. Me and a local taxi driver who was a great guy.

Shopping

by Madasabull Written Feb 20, 2014

What surprised me about Borneo, was how built up it was. The city is large and modern, and there are loads of great places to eat and drink, and loads of great shops, including a large mall.

The mall has all the shops you can usually expect, and some that were a real surprise, like Kenny Rogers Roaster. I know, I had never heard of Kenny Rogers Roasters, but of course I had heard of Kenny Rogers.

It was nice to get in out of the heat in the mall here too. And it was really quiet, not at all busy for daytime.

• Disabilities

Jesselton Point Ferry Terminal

by Madasabull Written Feb 20, 2014

Jesselton Point Ferry Terminal is where you can get, a ferry, but there is also so much more here, as there are places to eat and relax, and you can book trips to islands, snorkeling, small cruises, and all kinds of activities from the dozens of small tour operators stalls here.

We found that the tours being pushed here were water based, and as this is the Ferry Terminal, it is only right I suppose, but there are lots of other tour operators in the town right near the Terminal, so you wont have to go to far to find the tour you want.

• Gay and Lesbian

Borneo Beaches

by Madasabull Updated Feb 18, 2014

It was nice to find a nice beach here, sand was a bit coarse, but the scenery was lovely, and there were some nice looking places to eat along the beach too.

This was the only place we really felt we could chill out for a bit too, away from the hustle and bustle.

We spent a good few hours here and I recommend the beach area if you have the time.

• Women's Travel
    • Beaches

Orangutan

by Madasabull Written Feb 18, 2014

Sadly, unless you get out into the jungle for a week or 2, you are unlikely to see a wild Orangutan. And at the same time, the jungle is the only place you should expect to see one in the wild.

I had not interest at all in visiting a zoo or hotel that had an Orangutan, as the thought of traveling all this way to do that would have grated on me for years, so instead with the short time we had, we enjoyed the city and surrounding areas.

There are still 10's of thousands of these ginger critters out there, so there is no rush, just give it more planning than we did, and allow a few weeks to take a trek into the jungle.

We did make the most of these Orangutan's in the pics below though :)

Sue Me
    • Adventure Travel
    • Singles

• river cruise, or anything in borneo

by sabina24 Written Feb 13, 2013

is it expensive to stay in danum valley rainforest lodge?

hi there we are visiting borneo for the first time, we are group of 4 friends and we would like to know what we could see and do, we have got 9 days before heading to Bali, please help
    we are goin this may 2013

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

Overnight in a Borneo Long House

by MikeySoft Updated May 17, 2011

One of the things to do in Sarawak Borneo is to spend overnight in a Long House. There are small tour offices on the road near the river in Kuching to arrange this. However, there were not too many tourists when I was there. I was along and the tour was very expensive for one person as they could not find anyone else to go. The guide book recommended going to the Sarawak Tourist Office to try to find a group.

I was able to arrange a trip with a local I met at the tourist office. It was still only me but the price was a lot cheaper. When I left, I jokingly said maybe we should invite the two girls in the office. When he picked me up the next morning, he asked if it was ok to bring two more people. I sand ok and he gave me a small (about 1/3 back) refund because he said it was cheaper per person when more people go. We picked the same two girls I saw in the tourist office, he went back to the office after dropping be off the night before. They seem very happy that they were able to join me. It worked out well and I had two nice UK ladies during the trip and to hang around with after we went back to Kuching.

We drive for a while, picked up food and supplies at a local market in a small village, and then took a long boat ride. It felt fantastic. All that was needed was some long bills to fly by, then a bunch did. :)

They had a separate small hut for us to sleep where the guide sleep with the locals in the main part of the long house. It was very early in the morning when the roosters would wake us. I said I wanted rooster for breakfast.

Most people only spend one night at a Long House but we arrange for two. We did things like experiencing the customs of the local long house people, hiking, local style fishing, and river rides. The experience was great. The second day he asked up if an additional small group could also come. We asked how many and about sleeping arrangements. He said the 4 French people would sleep where we did and we will sleep in the main part of the long house where he did with the owners of the long house.

It worked out well and the French people were there when we returned from our outing during the day. They seem jealous that we sleep in the main part with the long house people. It was warmer and quieter (less roosters' noise) where we sleep that night. The French had the same opinion of the roosters as I did and left early.

Anyway, I hope this helps and I recommend this experience to everyone.

The wild man and women of Borneo?
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

Instant Answers: Borneo

Comments

Borneo Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Borneo things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Borneo sightseeing.