Eastern Pewter, Johor Bahru
It takes a master to make sure that every detail is properly emphasised. The final product is something that you'll be proud to display at home. The guide mentioned that there should be at least a pewter ware in each household.
Hmm, I'm still looking for it.
Once the mix is ready, the pewter is then poured into various moulds. Here, we see that they have made moulds of a couple of small picture frame. These are done with minimal effort.
The more intricate the pewter ware is, the more skillful the professionals have to be. You definitely can't have shaky hands if you want to be in the business.
This pewter company promises that their pewter ware comes with 97% of tin. So how about the other 3%? Well, to ensure that the tin hardens, a percentage of copper is thrown in.
What I did not expect when I scooped up a ladle-full of tin was that though it was liquified, it was tremendously dense. Was I surprised? You bet!
It was a really an educational tour for my colleagues and I. As much as we have heard about how pewter wares are being made, it's a whole different thing when you go through the entire process of how its done.
It all starts with pure tin, but tin cannot exist on its own as its too soft to be molded into your beautiful vases and tableware.
We visited a pewter factory just outside of Johor Bahru, here they make the pewter and have a huge shop which sells all different souvenirs made of it.
There is also a shop here where they make Batik, you can watch them making this, and then buy some if you would like.*