The State Secretariat Building -- also known as Bangunan Sultan Ibraham -- is a massive gray building that dominates JB's skyline. It's communist-style architecture don't fit in with the Islamic motif abundant in the rest of the city. It was built in from 1936 to 1939 and officially opened in 1940.
This structure houses the Chief Minister's office and State Assembly hall. During WWII this was used as a Japanese headquarters prior to their invasion of Singapore.
Admission is free.
The building was built in 1940 and is located on a hill called Bukit Timbalan. Its columns and pillars are designs of Saracenic architecture. The building, which is a symbol of progressive and modern Johor, commands a magnificent view of the Straits of Johor. Visitors may find the Grand Hall particularly interesting. The whole building covers 11 floors above the ground and it houses 46 government offices and departments. During World War II, the Japanese occupied the building as a fortress and a store dump when planning attacks on neighbouring Singapore.