Keluang Things to Do

Rows After Rows of Dragon Fruit Plants

Most Recent Things to Do in Keluang

Zenxin Organic Park

Front View of the Organic Farm

There are just too many things that are not grown organically now. So going back to basics is the healthy way, don't you think? Well, this organic farm located at the outskirts of Kluang, allows visitors to buy their own-grown vegetables and fruits.

The farm was huge, and other than growing their normal vegetables, the farm had also dedicated a large tract of land to the growing of dragon fruits.

To The Farm We Go

Here's What Kale (Kailan) Looks Like

Many times, you'd either buy your vegetables from the supermarkets, or if you're having a meal at the restaurant, all the vegetables would have already been prepared. But you should really make some time to see how these vegetables are grown.

It is hard work as the workers have to harvest these vegetables under searing heat. what's more, they have to do their harvesting within these greenhouse-like covering. Total killer! So learn how to enjoy your vegetables and also, know the hard work that these farmers put in for you to have food on your table.

Slaying the Dragon!

Rows After Rows of Dragon Fruit Plants

I was not a fan of dragon fruits and I believe that I had my first taste of it in the late 90s. I even tasted the fruit in Vietnam, possibly the world's largest producer of dragon fruits. Still, it did not rub me in a special way. But the latest batch of dragon fruit that I purchased from Zenxin Organic Farm in Kluang, Malaysia, really converted me totally.

I bought a bag of about six fruits back to Singapore at a cost of RM10, and this is the first time that I've seen dragon fruits with red flesh! So far, the flesh of these dragon fruits are more towards grey or dirty white. I understand that this is a natural colouring and what's more, the fruit was tremendously sweet!

Rubber & Bakery

by Aidy_p Written Apr 4, 2008
    So Much You Can Do With Rubber

Why in the world did I put these two words together? Well, I visited this place where there were row after row of rubber trees. Not something out of the ordinary as Kluang or to be specific, Malaysia is known for its rubber.

My colleagues and I walked around and we learnt from our guide that the rubber tappers start work at about 5.30am as they used their carving knives to make incisions along the bark of the rubber tree. This is to ensure that the latex would not dry up as the weather is much cooler in the early morning.

After that, we visited a bakery just next to the rubber plantation and they allowed us to eat whatever we wanted, and it was really whatever! Of course you can buy whatever you want too. All the cakes were so freshly baked.

Coffee Crazy

by Aidy_p Updated Apr 4, 2008
    Arabica Beans!

I've heard so much about the coffee at Kluang's railway station. But have you ever wondered where do 95% of Kluang residents get their coffee from?

Well, it's all local and the coffee that even the Johor Royal family drinks this coffee - Television Brand. When I stepped into the factory, I was still wondering if this is a big company after all as I've not heard of their brand of coffee. The factory get their coffee beans from all over, Indonesia, Brazil and even the Philippines.

They then cook it with butter and sugar. The smell of coffee was something that will mersmerise even non-coffee drinkers such as me. Also, the man-effort of cooking and grinding the coffee was tremendous and was definitely an experience to behold.

An Uphill Task?

by Aidy_p Written Apr 4, 2008
    Looking at Gunung Lambak from town

Just 5 kilometres from Kluang Town is the imposing 510m high Gunung Lambak. We did not get our feet dirty thought. But from the comforts of our tour bus, we caught sight of this natural grand dame.

Our guide mentioned that this mountain is a good weekend haunt for visitors who want to have a picnic, go under the waterfall, or just to catch a whiff of fresh air.

Toast of the town

by imstress Written Mar 17, 2006

This shop is so popular and it was featured in a tourism magazine with an article "Toast of the town".

This place is patronised by all races and people of all ages even though the boss is a Chinese.

Stop by for your coffee break at Kluang.

Soft boil eggs

by imstress Written Mar 17, 2006

Soft boil eggs are always on the menu of the local coffee shop.
    You could order the traditional soft boil eggs that goes very well with the toast.

Break the eggs into the plate, add a few drops of soya sauce and some pepper, stir well and slurp the soft boil eggs down.

Kaya Butter Toast

wholemeal burger toast

The shop serves 3 different types of toasts:

Round Burger Toasts (plain), Round Burger Wholemeal Toasts and Rectangular long plain white bread.

There is something unusual about their kaya toast. They uses those buns which are just like hamburgers while we eat the normal bread charcoal toasted in Singapore.

You could chose the plain ones on the healthier whole meal bread. My choice is the whole meal bread which has a nice texture and bite to it.

Will have to try the Rectangular long pain white bread next time.

One of the best Coffee & Tea in Malaysia

kopi, teh and teh O

Kluang has a shop which is famous for its coffee and toast. The shop is located just by the Kluang Train Station in Kluang Town.

The aroma of the coffee is so good and I have never tasted such a nice cup of coffee. We ordered a cup of tea because some of the locals prefer the tea to its coffee. My choice is still the coffee.

The owner revealed to bee (who brought us to this hidden place) that the coffee beans are specially choosen by them. They use pure de-husked coffee beans withoutout adding other beans or corn. They are then roasted to perfection before grinding and then served.

Seen in the photo are a cup of kopi (coffee with milk), teh (tea with milk) and teh O (tea without milk or translated as black tea)

Kluang Train Station

by imstress Written Mar 17, 2006

There is a signboard with a warning to all passengers and those sending them off not to board the train as the express train will leave the station in a minute. Do say your goodbye and hugs before you board the train.

A goods train have just arrived at the Kluang Train Station delivering some goods at the station. You may see the long trail of containers.

• bkoon's Profile Photo

Tea Rather Than Coffee?

by bkoon Written Mar 14, 2006

At the VT meet in Malacca on 11 Mar 06, Chia told me about his evaluation of the coffeeshops in Malaysia. He mentioned that one of his friends who is a Keluang local told him that the tea with milk at the Railway Canteen is better than its coffee.

To confirm it, Basil (Jen's hubby) ordered the tea instead of the coffee when we were there on 12 Mar. Indeed, the tea was great too, as good as its coffee.

Toast of the Town

by muddybok Written Dec 10, 2005
    Pages from MAS��� Going Places

This page covered one of my most recent coffee tasting trips to Kluang, Johor. Long before I write about this, Kluang Station canteen is already so famous and they can do with or without me writing about it.

MAS' Going Places wrote about it and SIA's most recent in flight magazine will be featured the coffee shop as well.

You may wonder whether the coffee shop is really live up to its name. Let me tell you, the whole coffee tasting experience I had here is quite difficult to fully describe. I may left out many other things that you must visit yourself to piece the missing parts.

Order Please

by muddybok Updated Sep 29, 2005

Orders

Sorry, the B2B portal for Kluang Station is not ready. And I don't think it will be up for this Kluang KTM joint. So you can either catch a midnight train from Kuala Lumpur or morning train from Singapore for a cup of strong coffee.

For Klang Valley folks, you're damn lucky because the joint is moving closer to your door step (but will be at premium price). Well, not so close. You still have to visit 1Utama New Wing for the new opening joint manned by the 4th generation (the nephew to Kluang Station Cafe's boss) this month (Sept '05).

The following are prices for Kluang Station cafe (Kluang Joint only):
    Wholemeal Round Toasts - RM1.00

The Coffee Shop

by muddybok Updated Sep 29, 2005

Kluang Station Cafe

Before I uncovered the secret of the coffee, I would like to share some experiences while coffeeing at Kluang Station Cafe.

First of all, the coffee shop had been classified as heritage together with the old train station. I feel the nostalgic feeling while sipping my coffee and the 2x2-inch net that made up of the upper portion of the coffee shop “wall” (boundaries) make me recall my grand-ma's kitchen at her old house.

The service - the staffs are very efficient in serving and make me feel very at home. You can order food and drinks in any common tongues and they will sure bring you the right stuffs.

I read this canteen will be so packed early morning when the first train stops by. It's like everyone is paying pilgrimage to the coffee shop every morning when they step out of the train.

Instant Answers: Keluang

Comments

Keluang Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Keluang things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Keluang sightseeing.