Muar Things to Do

• Hari Raya Celebration at Wetex Parade , Muar
    Hari Raya Celebration at Wetex Parade ,...
    by miss.k
    Ghazal Muar ( one of Malay Music )
    FEstival

Most Recent Things to Do in Muar

• suti's Profile Photo

folk dancing

by suti Updated Apr 20, 2007

after 9 to 5 work,at 8 driving to the town (jalan meriam) 2nd floor,all the womens gathering together dancing along with chinese & english tunes,sometimes even line dancing,malay zapin,india song.its wonderful,good health for the mamas.really enjoy. all the mamas or ladies must come for these exciting exercise instead of watching tv. ok? join us now!

• muddybok's Profile Photo

Coffee Tasting (Sai Kee 434)

by muddybok Updated Oct 5, 2006

.....anything say tea house

Muar actually have several good coffee factories and Sai Kee 434 & Hwee Jian are two of the more famous ones. You can simply hop into any coffee shop and asking for Kopi-Kow (thick) and if the coffee shop is using Sai Kee's Coffee Powders, you will sure to like it.

Most coffee shops here also serve steam/toast bread. If you see loafs of bread displayed in the glass cupboard, coffee tasting probably the most memorable thing for your entire trip to Muar. The cost for the coffee, bread and half boiled eggs are close to nothing.

If you intent to buy some Sai Kee Coffee, please use the address listed below.

Sai Kee Kopi Serbok Sdn Bhd
    34, Jalan Maharani, Muar, 84000
    84000 Johor, Malaysia
    Tel: 06-951 3828

• imstress's Profile Photo

Sultan Ismail Bridge

by imstress Written Aug 5, 2006

Sultan Ismail Bridge

Sultan Ismail Bridge is the gateway to highway 5 which leads you towards Melaka.
    The other direction will be back to Batu Pahat and Johor Bahru.

The bridge will bring you across the Sungai Muar and the Straits of Melaka.

We crossed the bridge in search of the famous Muar Mee Bandung.

The other direction will be back to Batu Pahat and Johor Bahru.

The bridge will bring you across the Sungai Muar and the Straits of Melaka.

We crossed the bridge in search of the famous Muar Mee Bandung.

• imstress's Profile Photo

Walk around the town

by imstress Written Aug 5, 2006

It will be interesting to walk on foot around the town of Muar.

Green, Pink, Blue and Yellow Streets - The street of Muar is colour coded. We walk around the street of Muar in search for a recommended coffee place after lunch.

It will be a very useful reference if you need to find your way if you are not familiar with this town. You could just meet your friend at a shop in the Yellow street.

Otak-otak

by muddybok Updated Jul 5, 2006

Otak-otak is made by mixing fish paste (usually mackerel) with a mixture of spices including chillies, garlic, shallots, turmeric, lemon grass and coconut milk. The mixture is then wrapped in a leaf that has been softened by steaming, then grilled or steamed.

My birth place, Muar is particularly famous for it.

Long before my peer is consists of frequent travelers or valid drivers, nobody knows where my hometown (Tangkak) is and often time I need to identify myself as someone from Muar (at district level). Then every one of them will ask me to bring otak-otak whenever I visit my parents/family back home.

• muddybok's Profile Photo

Fried Ghost (aka Yau Char kwai aka You Tiao)

by muddybok Updated May 1, 2006

Frying Ghosts

Whenever I see yau char kwai, I sure cannot resist but to buy some and eat them right away. It's best for coffee break, you can dip the fried ghost into your thick hot coffee and it sure tastes nice.

Chinese can find so many usage for yau char kwai, coffee companion for one; we dipped them into congee, into bah-kut-teh. I even see yau char kwai being used for yong-tau-foo. It's like an all-star, good-to-eat-at-all-time junk for me.

My creation, is to stuff sambal belacan or chili padi into hollow part of the yau char kwai as you bite on them, the same way like you pour chilies into spring rolls. It tastes like....hmmmm.... (cannot describe)

Please click into extra pictures and look out for uncle making yau char kwai, and they are hardly the thickness and length of 2 fingers sticking together. See what they become after the frying process. POWERFUL stuffs aren’t they?

What???

Color-coded Town of Muar

by muddybok Updated May 1, 2006

2 face corner lot

In Muar, the streets are all being color-coded. Doesn't matter what is your company trade mark color, so long your lot fall under green lane, you're green kind of thing. The advantage is if your friends are loss driving into the wrong street, you just have to ask them what color street they are at. Of course the tourist map must label the colors accordingly. May be i should propose that to Muar's authority. May be they already implemented the map. I don't know man.

Look at the old cinema building, since it fall into intersection for 2 different colors, it has to be painted like 2-face (in Batman comic/movie). The green color old Volvo however not falls into that color-coded order. It just parked there and I think it's funny with so many colors there.

Pre-War (or Post-War)... no need to argue

This one 1927, pre-war

One of the things that really attract visitors to this simple town are rows of well preserved pre-war buildings that still dominate the town's architecture. The age of most buildings can be easily identified since the dates of completion were cast on the buildings' exterior (middle top panel).

These buildings are the magnets, the drawing powers (together with the popular otak-otak) that drawn visitors to Muar and ones can easily recall the memories of the nostalgic yesteryears.

Bokman Begins

Bokman Begins

In the beginning ... (sorry, just want to stage my birth here)

Many of my friends laugh their heads off when they found out I was born in a car, trapped in traffic jam, then the car broke down at the toll booth on a newly completed bridge of Muar, namely Sultan Ismail Bridge. Some even compare my birth like Jesus in the manger, and me on the bridge. Well, at least I have an extraordinary birth.

Oh! The car is messy beyond description. If you ever seen someone vomit in the car, mine was worse than those. Since the car was wet and dirty and broke down, my mum and I together with my grandma were transferred into a taxi and continue to rush to hospital that is just 1km away from my birth place.

Next day, when everything was settle and my grandma took a pack of ang-pow to the neighbor (the one with the car broke down at jammed toll booth) who drove us to Muar. He was telling my grandma that he strike number the same day he sends us to Muar hospital. Luckily he won digits, else he will dislike me for dirty his car for very long time.

Note: The pictures are taken recently (except the b/w one), and being used to show the birth place. If you ever stand by the Tanjung and looking towards the bridge and the new mosque, you can visualize I was born there long...long.....long....time ago.

Bok's School for 2 weeks - Muar High School

by muddybok Updated Apr 22, 2006

School main block and assembly area

I schooled here for 2 weeks, 9 days to be exact. Technically, I can be considered as Maur-Hi drop out but I enrolled into higher learning education centre in Kuala Lumpur. I was booked by prefect** in Muar High School 7 days out of my 9 days study there with the records of late for classes. What do you expect from a student staying 25km away and rely on public transport to school.

Don't get me wrong, Muar High School is one of the best schools in State of Johor and reason why I stop going (I didn't quit my school actually, oh dear!!) was because I don't want to waste my life study our six form syllabus which is so irrelevant and inhuman (for me).

I really hate school prefect to the core. Who make them to book me for being late with my distance constraints and they themselves are late for classes in order to catch guys like us? Being in top classes all my life, almost half of my classmates are school perfects during primary and secondary school and they are just some kiasu teachers' pets.

Muar High School was established in 1904 and the majestic building built in 1915 is still standing. During the Second World War, the school was used as a Japanese concentration camp. Its alumni include national and state leaders, high-ranking government officials and industrialists, such as Tan Sri Osman Saat, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, Dato Seri Abdul Ghani Othman, Dato Chua Jui Meng, Rahul Doraisamy, Sathesh Narayanan, Adam Tee, Victor Yeo, Senthil Doraisamy and Triptipal Singh.

fact extracted from wikipedia

Royal Customs and Excise Building

Royal Customs & Excise Building

Situated along Jalan Maharani (where the purple buildings are), the Royal Customs and Excise Building is also one of the architecturally colonial buildings in Muar. Once an important landmark in Muar, it was built in 1909.

Masjid Jamek 2

Masjid Jamek 2 - Across the River

Sitting majestically and prominently across the Muar river is the second Masjid Jamek. It is a bigger replica of the original Msajid Jamek. This mosque was completed in 1999 and it can accommodate up to 5,000 pax.

You may be able to take a nice picture of the mosque from across the river when you visit the promenade area.

Masjid Jamek Sultan Ibrahim

by bkoon Written Jul 27, 2005

Also in the same area near the promenade and other colonial buildings, there is the Masjid (mosque) Jamek Muar. There are actually 2 Jamek mosques. This is the earlier one and the new one was opposite the other side of the river.

Actually, the first mosque was built in 1887 but later in the 1920s, the locals put forth a request to build this current mosque. And much later in 1999, the second Jamek mosque was built.

Muar Supreme Court

by bkoon Written Jul 26, 2005

As the interesting buildings are all cluttered together in the same area, I passed by the Muar Supreme Court too. The architecture, again, is very colonial in a neo-classical style (notice the decor on the walls). It was built ages ago in 1885. I read that it used to be a guest house belonging to Sultan Abu Bakar.

Muar High School

by bkoon Written Jul 26, 2005

Muar High School

Well, you must be thinking what is the big deal about the Muar High School and why am I writing something on it. In fact, the Muar High School is the first High School in Muar and the school building itself is very colonial. It is also one of the oldest school in Muar, being founded in 1902. Yes, is that old!!

I suggest you walk into the school to explore the buildings and architecture. However, please bear in mind that you need to seek permission at the guard post before you enter.

Muar High School is a premier school in Muar and for that matter, in Johor State. The Johor State Minister and some other successful personnel were educated there. Many kids from other districts also enrolled themselves into Muar High School due to its good reputation.

Instant Answers: Muar

Comments

Muar Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Muar things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Muar sightseeing.