Unique Places in Negeri Johor

view from the observation tower...
    by chiabh

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Negeri Johor

Fauna: Frogs

by bpacker Updated Apr 4, 2011

Name:Poisonous Rock Frog
    Family : RANIDAE ( difficult word for typical frog)
    Species : Rana hosii
    Characteristics: Green and brown pattern on its body , found near fast-flowing waters and waterfalls.This specimen was found in the root of a tree @ Lubuk Tapah Base Camp, Endau Rompin National Park, about 10m away from the clear, cool river flowing from Takah Tinggi Falls.

Before going to Endau Rompin, I never had a keen interest in frogs. In my mind, they were all green and yucky since they ate flies. I changed my mind after photographing them though. I was chilling out with a coffee one night after dinner when some young group members shouted excitedly near the river. I hurried over and and saw it...There it was, a brightly coloured frog and under the torch light, it shone like an emerald in the crevice of a tree! I closed in for a macro shot and showed it to the rest later. After all the oohs and ahs, we concluded that it was a tree frog because of the circular disc on its feet but we were wrong. He turned out to be a poisonous rock frog and not a common tree frog ( color/markings). Thank goodness we didn't touch him..

Poisonous Rock Frog, Endau Rompin Poisonous Rock Frog@Endau Rompin

Fauna: Butterflies and Moths

by bpacker Updated Apr 26, 2006

Ever wondered the difference between moths and butterflies? I thought I knew the difference till I went to Endau Rompin National Park. Despite my belief that Butterflies are brightly-colored and Moths are dull-colored, it looked like the opposite over here. The Moths have bright splotches of blue and gold on their wings and the butterflies were black in colour with simple yellow dots. Guess they're easier to tell apart by looking at their bodies. The moths have plump, furry bodies while their counterparts have smooth bodies.

If you identify any of the species over here, pls write to me.

Butterfly with a smooth body Moth with a furry body, Taman Negara Furry-bodied Moth, Taman Negara

Fauna:Dragonfly

by bpacker Updated Apr 25, 2006

Tyriobapta torrida

There are lots of dragonflies in Endau Rompin National Park. The more common ones were the red dragonflies that flew near the river. But the one that really caught my attention was the blue one with gossamer wings. After I took a macro of it., I discovered that there were gold specks on its wings.

Fauna:Fish

Malaysian Mahseer
    Tor tambroides
    Kelah

Lots of large-scaled fish known as the 'kelah' can be found in Endau Rompin. These buggers are highly prized due to its delicious taste and appearence . I saw the same fish at Taman Negara, Pahang and was told that it could grow up to 1/2 m long and weight up to 7kg!

Kelah, Takah Tinggi, SonyDSC7, MPK dive casing

Fauna:Flat-Backed Millipede

by bpacker Updated Apr 20, 2006

Name: Polydesmidae Platyrahchus species (Flat-Backed Millipede)
    Where: Lubuk Tapah Base Camp, Endau Rompin

If you think about it, some millipedes have the look of a prehistoric monster. Just take a look at this armoured critter I saw in Endau Rompin! The squared segments caught my eye and I can't resist taking a macro shot of it. I decided that it was a millipede after zooming into my pictures.The distinctive paired limbs gave it away..Well, you wouldn't think I would put my nose close to this critter would you?

Prehistoric Monster in Endau Rompin

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Fauna: Centipede or Millipede?

Name: ? Millipede
    Where: Endau Rompin, Lubuk Tanah Base Camp

At the first glance, I thought this was a centipede. It had that look, long and widely-spaced limbs, and a glossy body, fiery-red in colour. I left it well alone, knowing that it had a really nasty bite. It was only after looking at my photograph that I realised it was a millipede. How did I know? The millipede's distinctive paired limbs on each body segment gave away it's indentity!

Fauna: Birds

Magpie Robin
    Copsychus saularis
    Murai(Malay)

Though the Magpie Robin is nearly extinct in Singapore, many of them can be seen Endau Rompin. I saw it many times while strolling the camp grounds and was surprised to find it quite sociable. These little creatures did not even flinch when I went nearer to take a closer look. And when it lifted its head to sing, I immediately knew what led to the demise in the population*. The song it warbled was melodious and I was entranced for a little while.

*Somehow, being friendly and talented in the song department is only good for the Idol competition, sucks if you're a bird!

Common in Endau, Rare in Singapore

Fauna:Leaf Frog?

by bpacker Updated Apr 18, 2006

I was just walking around the rivers' edge @ Endau Rompin when I spotted a small brown leaf on a green palm. To my surprise, the 'leaf' stirred and I went in for a macro shot. I still didn't know what it was until I enlarged my picture 48x. It sure looks like a frog doesn't it? I reckon it might be a leaf frog and not a tree frog since there are no disc on its feet..

Pls write to me if you know the name of this creature.

Flowers or Fungus?

by bpacker Written Apr 18, 2006

Not all fungi is similar in Endau Rompin, Johor. Fungi differ in shape, size and even colour. Take some time to look at the different fungi, you'll be amazed by the variety and beauty.

White flowery fungus growing on the underside of a log.

Flora:Mushrooms

by bpacker Updated Apr 18, 2006

A yellow cap in the greens, growing on decomposing greens.

Mushroom, Endau Rompin

Flora:Bracket Fungus

by bpacker Updated Apr 18, 2006

A tiny spider finds refuge amongst purple fans on a log. These fans are known as bracket fungus - they're tough, woody and they grow on the trunks of dead trees.

Bracket Fungus with purple fringes

• muddybok's Profile Photo

Rayner's Rock, Pulau Dayang

by muddybok Written Jul 8, 2005

The roaring powerful surf may frighten you when you’re near the Rayner's Rock. But rest assure that this site will change you perspective after the dive.

The visibilities between the rocks are always perfect & you’ll like the push-pull effect created by the surf when you’re diving between those rocks.

Come year end, there is very high chance to spot manta & whale shark at Rayner's Rock.

Rayner's Rock, Pulau Dayang
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Beaches

• ngcsc's Profile Photo

The city of textile

by ngcsc Written Jan 24, 2005

Have you ever seen any city in Malaysia full of colorful textile hanging along the street more than 500 meters distance?

The northern part of Johor, in a city called Tangkak has a street-long textile seller. This is the largest textile city in Malaysia, even the people from Singapore will drive all the way up north to buy the beatiful textile

Textile street

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo

a special tree

by Wild_Orchid Updated Oct 19, 2004

On the beach at Kuala Rompin, I came across this lone tree, standing majestic on the beach. It looks stark as the sun set. It reminded me of VT-er Benazer's Tree with Flowers in Cyprus. Of course his tree is prettier and mine is a little sadder and starker

a lonely tree

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo

More sunset at Kuala Rompin

by Wild_Orchid Updated Aug 25, 2004

Take a slow stroll from your villa to the poolside and along the way, take in the sunset as evening falls on Kuala Rompin. Feel the waves lap lazilly at your feet and listen to the sound of silence.

Another day is over and soon it will be dinner time! Your tummy asks, what's for dinner?
    :-)

Drop by to take a look at the turtle hatchery which is located near the beach equipment hut. It's the square thing on my pics.

evening falls at the Summerset@Rompin

105 Reviews - 231 Photos
Pulau Sibu Hotels
31 Reviews - 48 Photos

Instant Answers: Negeri Johor

Comments

Negeri Johor Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Negeri Johor off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Negeri Johor sightseeing.
Map of Negeri Johor