Standing at 165.5m tall, the tower is a modern landmark in this old city, functioning both as a telecommunications tower and a tourist attraction... The tower's platform allows visitors to wnjy a breath-taking view that stretches from Gunung Jerai to the Straits of Malacca... It is the second tallest tower in Malaysia and ranked 19th tallest in the world...
This 3-tiered octagonal tower was built to keep all the royal musical instruments including the serunai (wooden flute), nafiri, gendang (drum) and gong, which are known as nobat... This 9-piece musical set encompasses three drums, a gong, two flutes, two instruments called the cheng-cheng, and a trumpet-like instrument called the nafiri which produces the haunting strains of nobat music...
Right now, there are only a handful of these orchestras left in the country... This tower, however, is closed to the public... In order to view the nobat, visitors must obtain permission from the State Secretariat...
An audience hall, it was built in 1735 by the 19th Sultan of Kedah, Sultan Muhammad Jiwa Zainal Adilin Muazzam Shah... The building was refurbished in 1896 after it was damaged and destroyed in attacks by the Bugis armada in 1770 and again when Siam attacked in 1821... It was used for installation ceremonies, official ceremonies and state council conferences from 1905 until 1973...
The Golden Jubilee Park in Alor Star was built in commemoration of the Kedah Sultan’s golden jubilee celebration in 2008... The park took seven months to be completed, was designed with a beautiful landscape comprising a golden jubilee landmark, sculptures of Kedah’s rulers, fountains, a mural wall, man-made lake, jogging track and skating rink...
The 20ha park showcasing the history of the Kedah Sultanate dating back some 1,000 years ago is utilise as a recreational park and was opened on August 5, 2008...
The 20 metre-high golden jubilee landmark with five "keris" (daggers) represented Tuanku Abdul Halim’s 50-year reign... The landmark also contained 28 engraved stones representing the history of the Kedah’s 28 rulers since 1,000 years ago...
The park also had ample facilities including a children’s playground and picnic benches with a large parking space to accommodate 3,000 cars at a time...
There are several places around Gunung Jerai with the name Batu Hampar. This Recreation Park can be reached easily from Yan. Just outside Yan there is a junction where you take right to Batu Hampar. The falls are not spectacular but the stream is nice and quiet.
A trail leads to a few small, but pleasant waterfalls. We visited the place during the dry season, during the monsoon the water flow will be bigger.
The Balai Nobat, houses the sacred instruments of the Royal Orchestra, played only during royal ceremonies of inaugurations, weddings, and funerals."
Although this 18 metre-tall and 5 metre-wide building is closed to the public, its interesting to know that its sole purpose is to house the royal musical instrument set known as the Nobat. The Nobat is played only by the Royal Orchestra during royal ceremonies including inaugurations, royal births, weddings, and funerals. It is believed that the Nobat originated from the Hindustani culture centuries ago when one of the brothers of the then ruling Sultan made a visit there.
This nine-piece muscial set is comprised of three drums, a gong, two flutes, two instruments called the cheng-cheng, and and a trumpet-like instrument called the Nafiri, which produces the haunting strains of nobat music.
As a state museum, it houses a large collection of Kedah's historical, culture, and royal heritages. The collection includes early Chinese porcelain, artefacts from the archaeological excavations in Lembah Bujang (Bujang Valley) and a fabulous pokok bunga emas or 'gold tree' produced as a tribute to the Thais.
The museum is also a research centre on Kedah's civilisation. Before the present premise was built in 1936, the museum - officially opened by the then Kedah Mentri Besar Tan Sri Tunku Ismail Tunku Yahya (Tunku indera Setia), on February 3, 1957 - was located in the Balai Besar (Grand Hall).
Like the Balai Besar, the present state museum building radiates a stylish integration of local and Thai architectural aspects.
Gunung Keriang is a limestone outcrop in the middle of flatland of padi (rice) fields in Alor Setar. It just seem to come out of nowhere with no surrounding hills or other formations. Just 10 minutes drive from downtown Alor Setar. It is very accessible and part of the hill area have been developed as a recreation area whereby juggle tracking and camping are the most favourite activies of its visitors. You can practically drive right to the foot of some climbing routes. Cave explorers would find Gunung Keriang an added adventure that is worth an experience. The history (legend) of Gunung Keriang is quite an interesting one. It is reputed to be alive and rotates every year until the English pegs it.
The wooden attap house was bought by Mohamad Iskandar when he wanted to marry off his children. It was built in 1900. When he bought the house, the house has only one room with no electricity. It has wooden flooring and the ceiling was made from white cloth. Mahathir was born here on 20th December 1925. He lives there until he was married and moved to his own house in Titi Gajah. Even then Mahathir will always commute to this house to visit his mother.
A visit to Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad's birth place will give you a different perspective of the life of this revered leader. He was born in Alor Star on Dec 20, 1925 at No 18 Lorong Kilang Ais, off Jalan Pegawai. His home has been seen as a historical building and was restored by the National Archives in 1992.
When visiting this place, you will be able to view items from his childhood to his schooldays to the time he became a doctor. There are photos, furniture and other household items. You can even take a look at his old bicycle!
it open on monday to saturday from 9 a.m to 6 p.m.
"Pekan Rabu" which literally means Wednesday Market which is located in the middle of Alor Setar is well known among the local population and tourists from outside Kedah. The business complex is not only the pride of Malay entreprenuers in Kedah but also the pride of all Malay's in Kedah. Moreover the fourth Malaysian Prime Minister, Tun Dr. Mahathir, once was a trader in Pekan Rabu. Most tourists visiting Alor Setar make it a point to shop around at the Pekan Rabu Complex.
The complex costing RM 3.2 millions and was built in 1975 and renovated in 1995 with cost RM 6.5 millions. Phase 2 complex was built in 1990 with cost RM 2 millions. Pekan Rabu complex has 347 stalls with a variety of business and it has become one of the important landmarks of Alor Setar.
This shopping Complex which is situated at Jalan Tunku Ibrahim was officially opened on 25th February 1978. Prior to the construction of this complex, the traders did their business in open building with no walls and trading stalls were not properly arranged and scattered.
you can find all thing like local food, cloths etc.
Located towards the back of the Kota Setar Palace complex is the Balai Besar. Its initial purpose was as a Balai Rong Seri or Balai Penghadapan (audience hall). Built in 1735 by the 19th Sultan of Kedah, Sultan Muhammad Jiwa Zainal Adilin Muazzam Shah, this was a lovely building with wood pillars, roofs and flooring. Unfortunately, the building was badly damaged in 1770 when the Bugis armada attacked the place, and ruined even further by the Siamese in 1821.
It was, however, refurbished in 1896 to prepare for the weddings of the reigning Sultan’s children. Besides weddings, the Balai Besar was also used for official ceremonies and other royal events
The Paddy Museum is an important tourist attraction in Kedah as the state is known as the Rice Bowl state of Malaysia due to its important economic contribution to the country. It honours the history, culture and significance of paddy farming in Kedah and is dedicated to the hardworking and simple paddy farmers, whose blood, sweat and toil have contributed to the objective of achieving self sufficiency in the rice industry.
The Paddy Museum opens daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. It closes for Friday prayer from 12.30 to 2.30 p.m. on Fridays. Admission fees are RM3 for adults and RM1 for children while school groups are charged RM1 per person. Each camera brought in will be charged a RM2 fee.
Officially opened in 1912, this state Mosque is an architectural landmark as it is one of the largest and grandest mosques in Malaysia. Built in the tradition of the Moorish architecture, it has numerous arches and columns that are an epitome of grandeur.
The Zahir Mosque occupies a site of approximately 124,412 square feet. Its center hall (Prayer Hall) measures 62 x 62 square feet and is surrounded by verandahs of 8 feet wide with 4 mezzanine areas. Each mezzanine area is roofed by a dome. The main dome is located at the north-eastern part of the mosque building. It is one of the grandest and oldest mosques in Malaysia. The state of Kedah's reading competition is held in the premises of the Mosque.
The Menara Alor Star is the world's 19th tallest telecommunication tower and also the 2nd tallest in Malaysia. It stands at a height of 165.5 meters and involved a construction cost of RM 40 million. Besides serving as a state-of-the-art telecommunications tower, the Menara Alor Star offers the public a chance to enjoy a panoramic view of the landscape that stretches from Kedah Peak to the Straits of Malacca, also as tourist attraction as well as recreational centre for art and cultural activities. The Tower in many ways portrays the progress made by Kedah in today's modern and sophisticated technological era.
Located towards the back of the Kota Setar Palace complex is the Balai Besar. Its initial purpose was as a Balai Rong Seri or Balai Penghadapan (audience hall). Built in 1735 by the 19th Sultan of Kedah, Sultan Muhammad Jiwa Zainal Adilin Muazzam Shah, this was a lovely building with wood pillars, roofs and flooring.