Baling Things to Do

Best Rated Things to Do in Baling

Kuan Yim Temple at the Hillside 1

by AngMimi Updated Feb 9, 2012

Front part of temple

The main attraction of Baling, the Kuan Yim Temple. The temple is inside a big cave with bats. Interesting statues of deities here and there which I don't know their names, anyway, just pray for good health and happiness (not a good prayer actually). Quite smokey from the burning joss ticks.

Come here to see the temple and admiring the limestone hill.

Fond memories, my late uncle and late aunt used to sell Satay over here during festivals, where there are singing shows, puppet shows and opera shows, held in front of the temple, but now they are built permanent stage beside the temple. We all at home will walk almost 2 miles to the temple, to see the shows and have a stick of satay to chew slowly while watching the shows.

Pak Cake Tong Temple

by AngMimi Written Feb 9, 2012

Beautiful temple

Another temple beside Kuan Yim Temple. Pak Cake Tong Temple. Climb the many staircases and admiring the limestone hill and enjoy the scenery - aah.. just beautiful.

People in Baling believed there's a big white snake hiding in the hill or caves. Once in awhile, the snake will come out and those people who see it will get richer buying snake number 606 in bettings. I wish I could see it one day..:-))

Meet my favourite Mr Monk

by AngMimi Updated Feb 1, 2012

Mr Monk

Looks like Mr Monk is not feeling well this year. He has to go for dialysis 3 times a week. Oh dear, what has happened to you. He looks thinner and older than before. My sister asked me, usually the dialysis needle poked on the arm but he, poked on his neck?? Strange.. well, to me, he got to work, he still need his arm to pray and bless people with his magic stick (Picture 3). Sorry, I have forgotten to tell you, Mr Monk is blind.

He may be blind but he still can remembered me. Heard my voice and he will say, You are from Sungai Petani. I dont know how he can recognized my voice, may be I talked too much to him. I never failed to ask him, how he is doing, but this time, Im a bit sad to see him in this situation.
    May Buddha blessed him, as he has blessed a lot of people including me and my family. Amen

Ask for Blessed yellow string for goodluck. Talisman and Buddha Statues can be bought here. (Picture 4 & 5)

Baling - Clock Tower

by AngMimi Updated Feb 1, 2012

Thats the famous Baling Clock Tower, built to commemorate independence of Malaysia in 1957. Hey, the clock is still ticking at the time I took this picture and the word "MERDEKA" means "INDEPENDENCE".

The tower is situated infront of Baling Mosque. There are a few nice gazebos built beside the clock tower, can relax here and drink coconut water before continue your visit to more temples in Baling.

River beside the Buddhist Temple

by AngMimi Written Feb 1, 2012

The KiLek Tree by the riverside

There is a river by the name of Sungai Ketil that goes thru Baling town. I remembered so much many Buddhist Festivals held at this Temple like Roy Kratung, Water Festival, Wesak, etc..

Anyway, I came here to pray the 4faces Buddha and make vow (Picture 4)

(Picture 5) Here is a tree, in siamese they called it "KiLek", take the leaves and boiled many times, cos its very bitter and we cooked the boiled leaves with coconut milk, spices and prawns. Its a very authentic siamese dish and I liked it so much.. :-))

Visit Baling Town

by AngMimi Updated Feb 13, 2012

Baling town

40 years ago, Baling used to be a cowboy town at night. Everybody sleep early, no electricity or water pipe at home.

In my picture, haha..the town looked so empty without much people , cars, all shops closed and so on.
    Its the second day of Chinese New Year, so mostly chinese shops are closed for a few days.

Kuan Yim Temple at the Hillside 2

by AngMimi Written Feb 9, 2012

Kuan Yim

Everyone from Baling and far will come to Kuan Yim temple for prayers and seek blessing. Thats why I am here every year.

Picture 1 - Statue of Kuan Yim

Picture 5 - Consult the Fortune Teller to see whats good and bad in the year of Dragon for you.
    RM 5 for each person.

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

Wat Parkthat (Thai Buddhist Temple)

by AngMimi Written Aug 25, 2011

Supposed to be the Oldest Siamese Wat (Temple) in Baling, Kedah..I can remembered the old priest in the old wooden temple.. The old temple is still there but closed. My uncle and aunt always took me and my sisters over here for prayers and thamboon (donations). Come before 12noon, where all the priests and monk will be there for prayers and you will be blessed too. When I was still a teen, I like to catch a glimpse of those goods looking young siamese novice monk, haha..well, thats old story..:-)

Now, you can see new beautiful temples with beautiful buddhas, a river behind the SiBin Hoot, where you can sit at the newly built staircase and dip your legs into the cool clear water. Nice.. I like this temple and I recommend everyone to come here when you are in Baling.

• Architecture

Middle of Nowhere Mansion

by AngMimi Written Feb 13, 2012

On the way back to Sungai Petani, we stopped at Tawar for awhile visiting my uncle and aunt form my mother's side.

Upon reaching the Tawar town, there's a mansion in Pink Colour, looked more like a cake in pink icing. :-))

• lukluk_wal_marjan's Profile Photo

Enjoy the cooling waterfall

by lukluk_wal_marjan Written May 6, 2006

The waterfall.....

About 20 km from the Baling town is a picnic spot which is famous among the locals. I was back to my mom's during the recent Labour day weekends.

The weather was so d**n hot that my sister and I decided to drive down to the Recreational Forest Lata Bayu. We are not going for a picnic but for a cool soaking & swimming at this scenic waterfall.

Since Sundays are schooling days for Kedah, they were not so many locals around. Nevertheless, I have still to park the car outside the main gate as there are families from outside of Kedah came over for a picnic.

I have been visiting this place since I was young and it never bores me. If you happen to be around this area, do drop by for a cooooooooooooool dip. No dress code, u can jump in with your shorts & t-shirts on. But 2 piece swim suit is a NO NO since this is a kampung area.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• lukluk_wal_marjan's Profile Photo

Hot dip @ hot spring

by lukluk_wal_marjan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Its time to go back when it is too hot to handle!

About 19 km from Baling town, located an improved recreational area i.e. Ulu Legong Hot Spring.

On the way to this remote area you will have the opportunities to enjoy the untouchable scene of a true kampung life.

Ulu Legong is uniquely located near an orang asli (aborigine) kampung. Previously, not so many locals are aware on the existence of this area. I dont remember exactly when was my 1st visit here. But those days, there are only 3 big square hot pool. Only the 3rd pool is bearable to our human skin. The 1st pool can be used to boil the eggs for your breakfast.

About 5 years ago the Kedah state government has made the area as one of the ecotourism spot. Since then, entering this area is chargeable at RM3 per person. Parking fee of RM1 is paid at the ticket counter too. There's also accomodations for those who want to overnite in this rural area.

Nearby the area, there is also a river call Sungai Angkat literally transalated as Lifted river. Across the river from the hot spring, a place for camping is provided for those who love to camp out here. There is a fee to this activity too. There's also children playground.

Changing rooms are available which is located next to the playground.

Since this is a hot spring and Malaysia is a humid country, the best time to visit the place is very very early in the morning or at nite.

I would advise you all to avoid weekends' nite as there are too crowded done. Come in the morning when u can enjoy fresh hot spring as this is the morning when the pool has just been cleaned.

• Eco-Tourism

Baling - Mosque

by AngMimi Written Feb 1, 2012

I do not know the name of this mosque, I might called it Baling Mosque. Very simple design mosque and situated behind the clock tower.

Baling mosque is quite popular in the daily newspaper when a dates tree bear fruits. Amazing, as sweets as from middle east. Hmm..I couldn't find that dates tree, I dont know how it looks like either. :-))

• chiabh's Profile Photo

Baling Clock Tower

by chiabh Written Dec 25, 2006
    the clock tower...

To commemorate independence of the country in 1957, a clock tower was built in the town... It is built in front of the town mosque against the verticle face of Bukit Baling... making it rather magestic... Btw, the clock is still ticking, after almost 50 years...

• yuet29's Profile Photo

Baling Hotspring

by yuet29 Written Aug 24, 2004

The water is sooo hot.. around 50 degree celcius..

There are more and more people in the midnight.. 1 to 2am in the morning, and it was a rainy night..

Morning is rather cool.. less people, fresh air and new filled pool.

• yuet29's Profile Photo

Bukit Hijau

by yuet29 Updated Nov 11, 2004

There is a beautiful waterfall in Bukit Hijau. Natural and relaxing.

Cool.

The waterfall is far better than hotspring.. In hotspring, it is always too hot to swim inside the pool.. only putting your leg inside.. but in waterfall is different.. we play inside the water and stand under the fall taking pictures and shouting as if we are back to the childhood. =)

Instant Answers: Baling

Comments

Baling Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Baling things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Baling sightseeing.