Pulau Langkawi Things to Do

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Go Island hopping in Langkawi

by bpacker Updated Apr 4, 2011

104, er, no 99 mini-langkawi islands

Do you know that there are 104 islands in Langkawi and only 99 can be seen during high tide? I'm not kidding. Just look at the map! There are that many islands and you'll get to see them if you arrange for an island hopping tour. Even if you don't dive, it's something not to be missed as each of these little isles are pockets of protected little sactuaries containing lovely flora and fauna. If you're really lucky, you'll even get to see frolicking dolphins in the waters..

Here's just some of the better known islands:

->Pulau Dayang Bunting (Island of the Pregnant Maiden), so named as it is shaped like a pregnant lady. There's also a lake in the centre. Avoid drinking the lake waters at all cost if you're a guy ! Apparently, anyone who drinks from it can get impregnated, haha.

->Pulau Singa Besar

->Pulau Kaca, Pulau Segantan, Pulau Lembu and of course Pulau Payar ( diving sanctuaries )

Contact details for a 3day island hopping tour can be found in the link.

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Dicover Langkawi's beaches

by bpacker Updated Nov 23, 2004

Sun kissed Pantai Kok Beach

Well, since this place is an island, there's no lack of beautiful, private beaches all over the island! But think twice about sun-bathing in the buff, this simply isn't practiced here at all. Do it and you'll scare all the monkeys away. Anyway, if you're there, do look out for the most beautiful strip of sand at Pantai Kok Beach and the unusual Black Sand Beach.

Eagle Square

by catkin Written Sep 19, 2004

Eagle square

This impressive statue of a Brahminy Kite is the symbol of Langkawi and it looks out across the bay greeting visitors as they arrive by the many ferry boats
    According to local legend Langkawi derives its name from Helang meaning eagle and kawi meaning reddish brown.

Summer Palace

by catkin Written Sep 20, 2004

Summer Palace Gardens

The summer palace at Pantai Kok was built as a film set by 20th Century Fox for the film Anna and the King starring Jodie Foster and Chow Yun Fat.
    It as a representation of a Thai palace. Here you will find props which were used in the film and you can even have your picture taking wearing one of the costumes.

Underwater world

by catkin Written Sep 20, 2004

Lion fish

If its raining then Under water world at Pantai Cenang is a great way to spend an hour or so. There is a walk through tunnel with large fish, small sharks and stingray as well as many tanks of beautifully coloured tropical fish.
    In a small garden outside you will find a pool of koi carp and some short clawed otters.

Explore the islands

by catkin Updated Apr 4, 2011

around the isalnds

We wanted to have a day sailing round the islands so as we were staying near the Royal Langkawi Yacht club we stopped to enquire about sailing trips from there.
    A company called Sunsail operate from there and you can hire a sailing boat to sail yourself or like us you can hire a sailing boat with a skipper.
    For 1200 RM we had the 35 foot sail boat to ourselves (4 of us) for the whole day, a skipper, lunch, soft drinks and beer. To make it a bit more special we took our own sparkling wine.
    We had a wonderful day lazing on the deck in the gloroius sunshine taking in the scenery. We saw some flying fish but the dolphins eluded us.

Mangrove tour

by catkin Updated Sep 21, 2004

Sungai Kilim reserve

The mangrove tour was quite an unforgettable experience. We chanced to arrange this trip through a taxi driver we had one day and it proved to be successful.
    We were picked up at our hotel and taken to the Sungai Kilim mangrove reserve where we boarded our own boat. After putting on our life jackets we set off on our adventure stopping first at a fish farm where we were shown how to feed a sting ray by hand. After this stop we headed off through the mangroves and to other points of interest along on the way. The boat passed through what they called the crocodile cave-there are no crocs here though but there were a few bats!
    From here we went on to the highlight of the trip-the Eagle feeding. It was amazing to see these beautiful birds swoop down to get their fish. There were so many of them too!
    Next port of call was a visit to the bat cave! I must admit I am not fond of bats and the thought of walking through this cave got the better of me and I chickened out!
    The trip ended shortly after this with a set lunch at the restaurant in the Mangrove-the Barn Thai.
    It was a great morning out!

Langkawi cable car

by catkin Updated Sep 21, 2004

Going down!

This cable car is not for the faint hearted! I have never in all my life seen a cable car rise so steeply!
    The cable car leaves the Oriental village and rises steeply up Mount Machinchang. The views, if its clear are spectacular and worth the ride. I am not really keen on heights but it had to be done. As you rise up there is a feeling of complete quiet and motionlessness-it might have had something to do with the fact I daren't move.
    Whilst we were up at the first station I decided I couldn't go across to the second station as it looked way too scary!. The wind was getting stronger too and I could see the cars swaying more!
    The cable car operates daily from 10.00am, but it is dependant on the weather so it is usually best to ring before you set off especially if you have to travel a way.

Hornbills

by catkin Written Sep 21, 2004

Oriental pied hornbill

Each day at low tide the rocky outcrop on the beach by our hotel became the focus of our attention to watch the many hornbills feeding from the rock pools.
    Having only ever seen hornbills in zoos I found them fascinating. They are quite comical birds and rather ungainly when they walk about.
    They did not seem to mind my presence and I managed to get quite a few photographs of them during my stay on Langkawi.
    Hornbills are very common in this area and there are several species of them-the ones I saw most of were the Oriental Pied Hornbill.

Fish farm

by catkin Written Sep 21, 2004

Sting ray feeding

Our first stop on the mangrove tour was the "Hole in the wall" fish farm. Here we were shown how to feed a sting ray by hand.
    We were also shown a horseshoe crab and some other fish called trivali feeding. They were so quick and voracious it was amazing!

• Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo

Night Market

by Azri_Azmi Written Nov 2, 2006

Walking along night market

Night market is very popular here in Malaysia and Langkawi also has many night market being scheduled everyday in few dedicated areas around the island.

The full schedule of Night Market in Langkawi as follows :-

Monday = Ulu Melaka
    Tuesday = Padang Wahit, Kedawang
    Wednesday = Kuah Town
    Thursday = Temoyong, Bukit Malut & Kuala Teriang
    Friday = Ayer Hangat
    Saturday = Kuah Town
    Sunday = Padang Matsirat

Its a perfect place to taste varieties of local foods.

• Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo

Telaga Tujuh / The Seven Wells Waterfall

by Azri_Azmi Written Nov 2, 2006

The entance

The most popular waterfall in Langkawi. A good place to bath in cold and clear freshwater. Its also a perfect place to do a light jungle tracking as this waterfall are having 7 stages of waterfall from top to bottom passing beautiful and green natural rainforest canopy.

At the entrance, there are few stalls selling foods & beverages and also stalls selling souvenirs.

Becareful of slippery stones while walking on rocks and also be noted that beside human, monkeyc clans are everywhere. They are very aggresive in persuing plastic bag containing foods, they will chase who ever walking with plastic bag and try to steal it from you. Carefully chase them away as they do have sharp tooths.

• National/State Park
    • Adventure Travel
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• Tattugran's Profile Photo

Pantai Pasir Hitam or Black Sands Beach

by Tattugran Written Nov 7, 2005

the old jetty

One of the more famous stretches lies on the north coast. Pantai Pasir Hitam or Black Sands Beach was apparently turned black by an angry Mermaid frustrated by a fisherman who stole her magic ring. The colour actually comes from mineral deposits and has become more white than black in recent years. Swimming is mediocre and there are no facilities.

• Blondiina's Profile Photo

Sunset dinner cruise

by Blondiina Written Oct 8, 2004

Dinner on board

We went for a sunset cruise on a catamaran. It was a pleasant experience. Beautiful sea, saltwater jacuzzi, grilled meal made by a crew member on board, free drinks and fruits on the deck watching the sun go down. Crew was very friendly and made the experience even more nicer.

• Tattugran's Profile Photo

CABLE CARS

by Tattugran Updated Nov 1, 2005

oh dear.....so far up......!!!!!

well as most of my close friends know .I am so scared of heights.......so I didnt go up here....but I did stay on the ground and got some "lovely" pictures of Verne and a new Vter and friend Steve as they went up hahahahah

(I "borrowed" some of Grump1's pictures since I didnt go up the top)

Instant Answers: Pulau Langkawi

Comments

Pulau Langkawi Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Pulau Langkawi things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pulau Langkawi sightseeing.

View all Pulau Langkawi hotels