Pulau Langkawi Warnings and Dangers

by gdilieto

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Langkawi

• Swim in Pantai Cenang

by ottobrigal Written Dec 21, 2012

Boat and Jetski in Pantai Cenang. They operate close to the beach, don´t care about swimmers.
    This morning, a boat towing a banana past me twice when I swam in front of Melati Tanjung.
    It came very close, so I turnt and just before I reached the shore, it came again with power to the beach, stoped 2 m away. I told the beach boys about there dangerous act, but the answer was`
    We do it many years, nothing happen. Don´t want to be the first.
    I called the Police, someone should come at 2.00 pm, nobody came.
    This is my last holiday after 12 years on Langkawi island.

• hcosgrave's Profile Photo

Car hire on Lankawi

by hcosgrave Written Jun 1, 2010

Be very carefull of the many car hire places in all of the resorts on Lankowi. I hired a car in Pantai Chenang last November. Most places assured me that they included full insurance cover in the price. However, when questioned closely, they admitted that only damage to the hire car was covered. In other words if you make a mistake and cause damage or injury to any person or thing you will be personally liable for damages. In the case of personal injury this could be ruinous.
    I insisted on full insurance cover and paid the extra premium (as I recall about RM7- per day) which gave me third party cover. Even then the car hire company "forgot" to include the additional insurance receipt when giving me the car hire papers and I had to go back next day to insist on getting it. Curiously when I walked in to the shop next day the lady immediately said she had forgotten it and meant to send it to my hotel "later"!

We found driving on Lankowi a delight with no traffic to speak of and everywhere within easy reach, just watch out for the car hire companies.

• Stepwalk's Profile Photo

Monkeys are wild animals

by Stepwalk Updated Apr 23, 2010

Be careful when dealing with the wild monkeys as they can be very spiteful and dangerous. If you approach them slowly and feed them from your very tightly held bag then you should be fine but do not attempt to be aggressive with them in order to subdue them: they will only retaliate!

• Beware of Car Rental Companies!

by dreadknight_731 Written Sep 18, 2009

Beware of Car Rental companies in Langkawi!!

Firstly, there's companies with permits and without. Companies with permit have 2 stickers on the car windshield so do not be cheated into paying extra for cars without permits.

Cars with permit come with insurance and cars without don't. You might also get into trouble with police should your car be without permit but the police should help you on this one.

Secondly, READ READ READ the terms and conditions on the rental agreement. One of the clauses states that they are allowed to claim up to 2000RM from you should the damages amount to 2000RM or less. Meaning should you get into an accident and the insurance company values the damages at 2000RM or less, you HAVE TO PAY. Yes it happens to cars WITH INSURANCE.

One company that you should take note of is ANGKALAND. They gave me lousy cars after lousy cars. Despite the good rate, I was at least expecting a working car. Cars frequently gave me trouble - the window was jammed, door locks were spoilt, lights in car spoilt, car boot unable to support by itself, tyres worn out etc. Don't be taken in by their cheap rates, they were dishonest and only interested in getting your money. Best to go to Kasina rental as recommended by others.

• boocik04's Profile Photo

Just put it on our account!

by boocik04 Written Oct 31, 2008

This happened to me when I returned the car I rented and the travel agent told me to put the car in the parking lot at the Langkawi Airport.

When I asked about the parking fee, the agent said "Just tell the cashier to put it on our account!".

This proved to be a load of crap because when I told the cashier about this, she told me that all tourists got conned the same way I did.

So, when you return your rented car at the Langkawi Airport, just leave the car in front of the Arrival / Departure entrance and refuse to put it in the parking lot.

Be warned!

• gdilieto's Profile Photo

Danger: Aggressive Monkeys

by gdilieto Updated Apr 30, 2008

Even though the content of this tip has already been pointed out in many other reviews in this forum, I will add my contribution in spreading the voice of what is definitely a real danger for tourists.

Especially to foreigner visitors, who might be seeing them for the first time, the monkeys found in many tourist spots all around the island will appear cute and sweet in their incredibly human behavior. Unfortunately they can also be aggressive and harmful, especially when they are hungry and you happen to come around eating or carrying food and drinks. Be careful, put your food and drink away and avoid any approach or contact. Their teeth and their nails are very sharp and if you get scratched you shall undergo anti-rabies treatment. It is not a bad idea to get anti-rabies shot before traveling if you plan to stay long in the island and it is definitely a wise idea to be careful when approaching or being approached by these cute but potentially harmful animals.

• Beaches
    • Eco-Tourism

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo

DO NOT CARRY PLASTIC BAGS !!

by hassan_abu Written Dec 15, 2007

monkey

PULAU DAYANG BUNTING

Please do not carry plastic bags when walking around the island, especially during the walk up to the Tasek Dayang Bunting. This is because the monkeys at the island thinks that these plastic bags contain food items and will snatch it away from your hands. When they do, just let go off the bags and let them take it away. These monkeys can get rather hostile, with their super sharp teeth and claws. I have seen one monkey ripping open a can of Milo drink with his claws and teeth.

• aberacadabra's Profile Photo

Car hire

by aberacadabra Updated Nov 8, 2007

Car hire touts will approach you the moment you set foot on Langkawi. Before handing over any cash or driver's license, make sure the vehicle you are about to rent is in good condition. If Hertz or Thrifty were there, it would have been virtually hassle free, but because reputable car hire companies aren't there - exercise caution. We approached what looked to be a respectable looking car hire kiosk near the entrance to the Jetty and rented what was supposed to be a new looking proton car after being shown a photo of it. After paying the car rent for 2 days, to our horror, the final product looked like an assortment of rusted car parts on the verge of falling apart, literally. The boot was held shut by a piece of jute rope, a plywood board in place of non-existent backseats and the speedometer was not working. What was even more ridiculous was the bastards refused us a refund or a replacement with the excuse of having no more cars. It was a nightmare driving that rustbucket in the afternoon rain.

Be careful when renting cars in Langkawi, especially at the Jetty Point where we got ripped off.

• Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo

Aggresive Monkey @ Seven Wells Waterfall

by Azri_Azmi Updated Nov 3, 2006

This monkey looks kinda cute but very aggresive !!

When I visited the Seven Wells Waterfall that day, I felt very thirsty and bought some beverages & snacks for myself to had it while driving back to Kuah. While walking from the shop, a group of monkey charges towards me from a far distance. They're really aiming for the plastic bag that I was holding. Tried to chase them away but they did not show any sign of staying out but yet they still keep on closer until the distant between myself and these aggresive monkey is just less than a metre away. Tried to use my leg to kick 'em and that action makes them more aggresive by trying to bite my leg and showing off their sharps teeth.

At last I managed to get away to my car which is about 50 meters away. Huh, yet 2 senior members of the clan still unsatisfied and stared at me although I am already inside my car. I took a picture of 1 of them that jumped on top of a 2 wheeled dustbin.

The tips here is, not to carry any plastic bag or bag by your hand. If you need to bring foods or beverages, use a backpack. And do not let your children closer to the monkey. They are cute but hell they are really aggresive.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • National/State Park

• peetum's Profile Photo

ferry to penang

by peetum Written Oct 20, 2006

IF you are going to penang from langkawi - be sure to bring a jacket. if you are prone to getting sea sick, then get some sea sick tablets. The waves are rough and the ferry swings back and forth. Nothing scary, but you'll see a lot of people puking along the way.

Better route : take the 1 hour ferry to kuala kedah, and get a cab to penang. journey time is almost the same. it takes and 1.5hr from kuala kedah to penang and costs 140rm. Also the ferries to kuala kedah are frequent, whereas there is only 1 ferry to penang every day.

• Spa and Resort

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Beware of painful sea urchins

by SLLiew Updated Oct 17, 2006

When swimming, snorkelling or scuba diving, beware of running into the spikey sea urchins amongst the corals which will give a bad painful stink.

Even on some beaches, there are sea urchins near the coastline.

So wearing a T-shirt or long pants while swimming or scuba booties will prevent accidentally stepping on one sea urchin. They are dark in color, size of a baseball and called sea rambutans and so are easy to spot and avoid.

There are also giant sea cucumbers on the coastline but they are just slimy and are harmless. This is not the edible variety on Chinese cuisine. But used in Langkawi for medicinal oil lotions.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Avoid buying marine and coral products

by SLLiew Written Oct 17, 2006

Many abundant shell and marine products and souvenir on sale in Langkawi.

Most are imported from nearby Thailand or Philippines. But such products deplete the corals and underwater marine life. So why not buy non-marine products. Perhaps coconut shell carved products as coconut trees grow fast.

• fengshui's Profile Photo

Driving at night

by fengshui Written Oct 16, 2006

We were driving back to our chalet at Berjaya Langkawi Resort from Kuah town using the alternative route towards Padang Mahsirat. The usual route through Cenang Beach was longer.
    The was no street light along the alternative road becoz there was road upgrading work along the whole route. There were too few warning signs or reflective warning lights. And the rain made our trip worst! It was pitch dark! My hubby had to switch on the car's headlights.
    We were so worried that we were lost! No direction signboard too! And we were on high alert for the roaming cows which were famous on Langkawi!
    So next time if u r in Langkawi, stick to the main road although alternative route saves u time!

Danger of Tanjung Rhu

by SLLiew Updated Oct 12, 2006

Calm, shallow but strong tidal current

Tanjung Rhu was a very beautiful beach for camping out before all the hotels were built. It has a lagoon and casuarina trees swaying in the breeze. Popular with local tourists.

There is an island that can be reached by wading at low tide. But when high tide comes, the current can be strong. And personally, I was almost swept into the open seas. A close call.

According to the locals, there are a few drownings every year. So be careful and do not swim or wade out alone or take unnecessary risks.

• Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo

Gecko

by Azri_Azmi Written Aug 18, 2006

The 'cicak tokkey' !!!!

Few areas in Langkawi are also being occupied with this species of gecko. I do not know what is the scientific name of this gecko. It is quite big, got different colors and make such a noisy sound. Local called it 'tokkey'.

Dispite its beautiful looks, this is a dangerous kind of gecko. Its bites. And to make it worst, if bitten, we had no choice other than to kill it because it will not release its bite.

So do not try to hold or catch it, only if you are the 'crocodile hunter'. And to add another info. about this gecko, I saw its once in Kuala Lumpur pet shop for a price of RM70.00.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Pulau Langkawi

Comments

Pulau Langkawi Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Pulau Langkawi warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pulau Langkawi sightseeing.

View all Pulau Langkawi hotels