Pulau Langkawi Warnings and Dangers

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Langkawi

• Blondiina's Profile Photo

by Blondiina Written Sep 10, 2004

You don't want to meet these little (or not so little) beasts while swimming! They cause a horrible burning feeling and your skin goes all red and swollen. But, if you are unlucky enough to get stung by one, use vinegar to ease the pain or ask locals for help. And remember, sometimes dead jellyfish can be found on the beach, but don't touch it, it can still sting you.

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Monkeys

by Imbi Written Jan 23, 2004

Be careful of these cheeky monkeys. They could be found by the road on different places. They are usually very friendly and you can feed then monkey-nut and they would be very happy. Don’t do anything to intimidate them, once upset it would be no more safety for you. They don’t hesitate to jump on you.

Monkeys, a REAL danger

by phil_uk_net Written Nov 2, 2003

I have written before about monkeys being a potential danger but now I can speak from experience. While island-hopping I saw many monkeys on the islands. Because people have been feeding them they have lost their fear of humans and associate people with food. One of the girls I was with offered me a crisp while we were on the beach having lunch. As I put my hand into the bag to take one, a monkey appeared out of nowhere and sunk its teeth into my fingers, drawing blood. I had no idea there were any monkeys nearby but they sneak up on you. Be careful if you have food and be especially careful if you have young children with you. Feeding any kind of wild animal should be discouraged as it adversely affects their natural behaviour.

Monkeys

Gecko

by Azri_Azmi Written Aug 18, 2006

Few areas in Langkawi are also being occupied with this species of gecko. I do not know what is the scientific name of this gecko. It is quite big, got different colors and make such a noisy sound. Local called it 'tokkey'.

Dispite its beautiful looks, this is a dangerous kind of gecko. Its bites. And to make it worst, if bitten, we had no choice other than to kill it because it will not release its bite.

So do not try to hold or catch it, only if you are the 'crocodile hunter'. And to add another info. about this gecko, I saw its once in Kuala Lumpur pet shop for a price of RM70.00.

The 'cicak tokkey' !!!!

Aggresive Monkey @ Seven Wells Waterfall

by Azri_Azmi Updated Nov 3, 2006

When I visited the Seven Wells Waterfall that day, I felt very thirsty and bought some beverages & snacks for myself to had it while driving back to Kuah. While walking from the shop, a group of monkey charges towards me from a far distance. They're really aiming for the plastic bag that I was holding. Tried to chase them away but they did not show any sign of staying out but yet they still keep on closer until the distant between myself and these aggresive monkey is just less than a metre away. Tried to use my leg to kick 'em and that action makes them more aggresive by trying to bite my leg and showing off their sharps teeth.

At last I managed to get away to my car which is about 50 meters away. Huh, yet 2 senior members of the clan still unsatisfied and stared at me although I am already inside my car. I took a picture of 1 of them that jumped on top of a 2 wheeled dustbin.

The tips here is, not to carry any plastic bag or bag by your hand. If you need to bring foods or beverages, use a backpack. And do not let your children closer to the monkey. They are cute but hell they are really aggresive.

This monkey looks kinda cute but very aggresive !!
    • National/State Park

• dfactor's Profile Photo

Water Buffaloes Rein Supreme

by dfactor Written Mar 17, 2006

Being the laid back island Langkawi is, the water buffaloes seem to have it their way with the roads here, especially those around the paddy fields. We ran into them a couple of them.
    So, keep your eyes peeled for them. Though the roads in Langkawi can be rather deserted at times, this doesn't mean you can drive around the island like a F1 driver.

Water Buffaloes Crossing

Driving at Night - Open Your Eyes Wide

by Azri_Azmi Written Jul 10, 2006

Well, as the road in Langkawi are being carved thru villages and paddy fields, you may need more concertration if driving at night. Buffalos and cows will just lying on the road at night and this may invite accident to those that are not familiar with the road and those that drive without full concertration. Buffalos being hit by car or motorcycle is not a rare case here in Langkawi, sometimes this accident happens involving fatility to both animal and human. To make it worst, not all road in Langkawi being covered with street light and as for buffalos, they are dark in color alright and you may not notice that they are on the road until you just a few meters away from 'em. So, tips for night driving, drive carefully and concertrate please.

• Motorcycle

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Divers Beware! Great White..er Orange Creatures!

by bpacker Updated Nov 8, 2004

More scary than the sharks at Pulau Payar are the noisy orange flotsam at the house reef.
    Easily recognisable in the ubiquitous orange vest, these gangly big creatures will not only insist on throwing their lunch packets at the hapless fish but applaud when the sharks go into a feeding frenzy.
    Stay away from these creatures if you spot them, you might get a chicken wing thrown in your face if you get too close to them.

Bpacker's Langkawi Page

swim away from these orange creatures!

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Beware of cattle crossing crossing the road

by bpacker Updated Nov 23, 2004

Please drive slowly and carefully in Langkawi island ! There's lots of water buffaloes and cattle over here and most of these creatures don't have any cow sense when it comes to road crossing.

Bpacker's Langkawi Page

%BBovine Jay Walkers

• boocik04's Profile Photo

Just put it on our account!

by boocik04 Written Oct 31, 2008

This happened to me when I returned the car I rented and the travel agent told me to put the car in the parking lot at the Langkawi Airport.

When I asked about the parking fee, the agent said "Just tell the cashier to put it on our account!".

This proved to be a load of crap because when I told the cashier about this, she told me that all tourists got conned the same way I did.

So, when you return your rented car at the Langkawi Airport, just leave the car in front of the Arrival / Departure entrance and refuse to put it in the parking lot.

Be warned!

by phil_uk_net Written Mar 13, 2003

When I was there in January the sea off Cenang beach was full of stinging jellyfish. At another beach on the north coast, near the Ibrahim Hussein museum, it was not a problem. I don't know if the problem is just with certain areas at certain times of year but be aware of this and seek local advice.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Danger of Tanjung Rhu

by SLLiew Updated Oct 12, 2006

Tanjung Rhu was a very beautiful beach for camping out before all the hotels were built. It has a lagoon and casuarina trees swaying in the breeze. Popular with local tourists.

There is an island that can be reached by wading at low tide. But when high tide comes, the current can be strong. And personally, I was almost swept into the open seas. A close call.

According to the locals, there are a few drownings every year. So be careful and do not swim or wade out alone or take unnecessary risks.

Calm, shallow but strong tidal current

• Beware of Car Rental Companies!

by dreadknight_731 Written Sep 18, 2009

Beware of Car Rental companies in Langkawi!!

Firstly, there's companies with permits and without. Companies with permit have 2 stickers on the car windshield so do not be cheated into paying extra for cars without permits.

Cars with permit come with insurance and cars without don't. You might also get into trouble with police should your car be without permit but the police should help you on this one.

Secondly, READ READ READ the terms and conditions on the rental agreement. One of the clauses states that they are allowed to claim up to 2000RM from you should the damages amount to 2000RM or less. Meaning should you get into an accident and the insurance company values the damages at 2000RM or less, you HAVE TO PAY. Yes it happens to cars WITH INSURANCE.

One company that you should take note of is ANGKALAND. They gave me lousy cars after lousy cars. Despite the good rate, I was at least expecting a working car. Cars frequently gave me trouble - the window was jammed, door locks were spoilt, lights in car spoilt, car boot unable to support by itself, tyres worn out etc. Don't be taken in by their cheap rates, they were dishonest and only interested in getting your money. Best to go to Kasina rental as recommended by others.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Beware of painful sea urchins

by SLLiew Updated Oct 17, 2006

When swimming, snorkelling or scuba diving, beware of running into the spikey sea urchins amongst the corals which will give a bad painful stink.

Even on some beaches, there are sea urchins near the coastline.

So wearing a T-shirt or long pants while swimming or scuba booties will prevent accidentally stepping on one sea urchin. They are dark in color, size of a baseball and called sea rambutans and so are easy to spot and avoid.

There are also giant sea cucumbers on the coastline but they are just slimy and are harmless. This is not the edible variety on Chinese cuisine. But used in Langkawi for medicinal oil lotions.

Monkey trouble

by phil_uk_net Updated Mar 13, 2003

Langkawi has a lot of long-tailed macaques roaming around. It was great watching their antics from a distance, or from inside a car.

Be aware though that they can be dangerous. The troop is looked after by a few adult males and in areas where there are humans they can get very aggressive.

On one occasion I tried to get close to a troop of about 50 monkeys to get some photos as they were raking around rubbish bins looking for food. The alpha male didn't like me doing this and came running towards me baring his teeth. Their teeth are large and, I have to admit, my heart started pounding. It was a scary experience. I backed away quickly, avoiding eye contact and he stopped coming at me.

They have attacked people before apparently and I would not like to receive a bite from one.

A foraging macaque
    • Photography

Instant Answers: Pulau Langkawi

Comments

Pulau Langkawi Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Pulau Langkawi warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pulau Langkawi sightseeing.

View all Pulau Langkawi hotels