Greetings can be a slightly complicated affair. ‘Selamat’ is the greeting word, but you must specify the time.
• Selamat pagi = Good Morning
• Selamat tengah hari = Good Afternoon (from noon to about 2pm)
• Selamat petang = Good Afternoon/Good Evening
• Selamat malam = Good Night
I did have a grumpy policeman on a train just say ‘Pagi’ to me one morning.
Some other greetings:
• Terima Kasih = Thank You – this is an important phrase to memorise.
• Sama = You are welcome. Sometimes they will say Sama Sama as a way of saying Thank You very much. They do not have the word for ‘very’ so they repeat a word to indicate this.
• Selamat datang = Welcome
• Apa khabar? = How are you?
• Khabar baik, terima kasih.= I'm fine, thank you.
• Selamat tinggal =Goodbye. Said by the person leaving
• Selamat jalan =Goodbye. Said by the person staying