Local food, Melaka

The Emperor Hotel.

Famosa Chicken Rice Ball: I Officially Love Chicken Rice Ball

by Aidy_p Written Sep 15, 2011

Chicken Rice Balls!!!

We were walking about Jonker Street and were pretty much famished as we left the hotel at 7.30pm. So by the time we got to Jonker Street, it was already 7.45pm.

We chanced upon this restaurant - lovely decor with traditional peranakan and chinese furniture decking the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Other than the rice ball and chicken, I really liked the chilli. Well mixed and deliciously prepared.

Chung Wah Chicken Rice Ball: Uniquely Melaka

by Aidy_p Written Sep 15, 2011

There's Always a Queue!

I would have liked to get a better picture of the shop but alas, I was rushing off and could only do a turn-around shot. It was lunch time and the crowd that had gathered turned us away from eating here.

Though it is said that the food can only be deemed so-so, it's truly like the mecca of Melaka. A must-try. After that, you can announce to others that you've been there, done that.

Favorite Dish: Specialty shop that sells chicken rice. I've ate their chicken rice twice so far - once we bought the chicken rice back to the hotel as we'd wanted to enjoy our meal in the air-con comfort.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Ole Sayang: Incredibly good Nyonya Food

by cochinjew Written Sep 14, 2011

Gerang Asam

The Seet family could count on four of their ancestors being Capitanes of Malacca during the Dutch administration.
    A family with long tradition, authentic nyonya food and served in a pleasant atmosphere under the kind glances of photos of ancestors. quick service. EXCELLENT FOOD
    and very good value for the money
    apart from a lone japanese tourist with her well worn guide book, all tables were taken by local families gorging on this great food

Favorite Dish: Chicken Serai
    Asan Fish
    Okra
    Blachan Kang Kong
    Chin chou with soya bean
    Sambal Tercing

• Aidy_p's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn Melaka: Es-sence Kitchen: Good spread though quality can be improved

by Aidy_p Updated Aug 2, 2011
    Customise your omelette

This restaurant is located in the Holiday Inn restaurant. As part of the stay, the hotel threw in breakfast.

There was local spread such as porridge and nasi lemak while for western, you have omelette, sausages and pancakes. Another counter served fruits and desserts.

Favorite Dish: I always love my food warm. So omelette gets my pick.

Restoran Peranakan: Nice decor

by sunshine_01 Written Jun 27, 2011
    Lunch

The interior of the restaurant is beautiful. We ordered food for two person: Ayam(chicken) buah keluak(RM11), 2 additional pieces of buah keluak @ RM1.50/pc, sambal prawn with petai(stinky bean)(RM10) and belecan kang kong(RM6). The sambal prawn is good and we really liked the chilli. The ayam buah keluak tasted average but we simply loved the nutty and bitter taste of the buah keluak.

Ban Lee Siang Restaurant: Satay celup

by sunshine_01 Updated Jun 27, 2011
    Ban Lee Siang

This is our first time eating satay celup. When we reached Ban Lee Siang, we noticed that there are 2 restaurants with the same name. We saw a notice put up on the right hand side of the restaurant, declaring that both the restaurants are run independently now. They no longer supply the satay sauce to the restaurant on the left hand side and they are the original Ban Lee Siang. We decided to eat at the restaurant on the right side.

The restaurant was very crowded on a Saturday night and we waited around 20 mins to be seated. We were shown to the table where the diners had just left. The pot of satay sauce on the table was not changed and the waitress simply top up the pot with more satay sauce. We were quite surprised because it is not so hygienic. We wondered how many customers had dined at the table before us sharing the same pot of satay sauce.

Well, since we were there... we thought we might as well "eat first and think later". We proceeded to take the skewers of food from the fridge and dipped into the satay sauce. The satay sauce used for satay celup is pretty diluted and slightly spicy. The waitress stirred the sauce from the bottom of the pot constantly to prevent it from burning. Overall, the skewers of food cooked in satay sauce taste quite good.

Donald and Lily's restaurant: So-so laksa

by sunshine_01 Updated Jun 27, 2011
    Donald and Lily's

After reading reviews about how good the laksa is, we decided to try the laksa at Lily's. The cockles were very small and the laksa seems overhyped; can't taste much of the spices. Nothing to shout about. The cendol has sago, cendol, red bean but it is quite watered down as compared to the cendol from Jonker 88. The shaved ice is a bit too coarse for my liking.

• daydreamer111's Profile Photo

RESTORAN CHUNG HWA: CHICKEN RICE BALL !!!

by daydreamer111 Written Oct 25, 2009

When it comes to food in the historical town that is melaka, there are few items of food that you must never miss. The must eat item such as cendol, satay celup and the most famous chicken rice ball in chung hwa restoran .

• dfactor's Profile Photo

Chinese food: Restoran Peranakan

by dfactor Updated Jul 19, 2009

What awaits you on the front door.

Though I grew up in Melaka, I only knew of this splendid restaurant after joining VT, I only have my fellow VTers to thank for. The setting of this restaurant is excellent, it brings you back to time, dining in one of the old shophouses in Hereen Street. Delicate carvings of flowers and birds adorned the waiting area of this restaurant.
    I'm not a foodie nor a food critique. But all I could say is, the food taste good, if not better than my mom's in Melaka. The entire dining experience in this restaurant is quite unique in Melaka.

Note: Reservations is necesary in the weekend. Rather odd operating hours though. Mon to Sun, 11am to 4pm (close at night, no dinner for you); Sat and Sun, 6pm to 9pm.

Favorite Dish: Cendol, Ponteh Chicken, Asam Fish and many more.

• dfactor's Profile Photo

Aunty Lee Nonya Food: Authentic Nyonya food, almost like my mom's

by dfactor Updated Jul 19, 2009

Assam fish, a must in this restaurant

A very small family-run restaurant, the setting in this restaurant could be improved. But this is not the reason why you are here. (If you want to dine in a nice restaurant in the town area, head to Peranakan restaurant on Heren Street). My Childhood friend comes here a lot, hence knows the owner. The main chefs are an elderly couple, due to the popularity of this place, they tend to turn down customers if they get too busy, or if they get too tired, I was told.

Hence, it is best to call up for reservation if you want to have a taste of authentic Nyonya food!

Favorite Dish: The Assam fish is a must, end your dinner with their cendol. I hardly think the Assam fish is any spicy, you can ask them to make it less spicy if you wanna.

• Capitol Satay Celup Restaurant: No More The Cheap Place To Eat

by magte Written Jul 13, 2009

Use to eat there when I am in Melaka. I am very surprised that the price had increased tremendously over the years. Now per stick is RM0.70. I remembered a few years ago the price is between RM0.40-0.50 per stick. Not a cheap place to go and enjoy anymore. As usual you have to queue up for at least half an hour. Come either very early or later at night. I would think there would be no reason for me to queue up anymore in this restaurant as it is getting expensive now and food is just average and nothing to shout about. There are just as good satay celup stores all around Melaka town. Local residents should agree with my view.

Still has wide variety of satay celup such as kangkung, quails eggs, squid, fishballs, meatballs, sausages and etc. However I noticed that the portion per stick had reduced to smaller piece. So it is not only the increased price but also you are getting less now. How sad!! Fresh tiger prawns and clams are not displayed at the refrigerator. The trick is you need to sit longer and eat more and hit their target, then only the indonesian workers will take out and place a few stick on your table. Even if your personally requested for tiger prawns, the workers will ignore you. They will serve you the 1st round of clam first. After you have eaten more, the 2nd round will be tiger prawns. It is the restaurant's owner way of rewarding the customers to spent more.

I don't think I will come anymore. Maybe I will try another stall at Teow Chew satay celup at Jalan Wong Kim Wee.

• Breakthrough Cafe: Authentic Peranakan Cendol!!!

by shinelle24 Updated Jun 5, 2009

Traditional Peranakan Cendol

Breakthrough Cafe is popular for their Traditional Peranakan Cendol which is very different from what you may find on the roadside. Very rich in flavour!!! It is only RM2 per bowl!!!
    Besides that, they have very good Nasi Lemak too!!!

Favorite Dish: Traditional Peranakan Cendol!!! The ultimate local dessert!!!

• SangAji's Profile Photo

selera idaman: don't miss the local fare on road trip to melaka

by SangAji Written Aug 19, 2008

selera idaman restaurant @ taman mini malaysia

on road trip to melaka, stop by taman mini malaysia n asean

fill up on local delicacies

and freshen up

and shop for local souvenirs

Favorite Dish: nasi gulai kawah ie rice n beef in local stew

the hotter the better!!!!

cool down with fresh young coconut juice

• mojo1980's Profile Photo

Restoran Ole Sayang: Good Peranakan Food

by mojo1980 Written Jun 28, 2008

Peranakan food is usually spicy. But there are other kinds of Home-cooked Nyonya food served here that is not spicy and yet delicious. A definate must-try.

Favorite Dish: Must try the tofu and the curry fish (See my pic)

• mojo1980's Profile Photo

Jonker Dessert: Chendol along Jonker Street

by mojo1980 Updated Jun 28, 2008

This shop sells different kinds of chendol desserts. The one I tried, and the one I overheard most ppl ordered, is Baba Cendol. The sweet brown sauce as the topping is thick and yummy.

Was there during my night walk along Jonker Street. The store is easily indentified, as there is a reasonable crowd.

Instant Answers: Melaka