Local food, Melaka

• Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo

Nasi Ayam Special Restaurant: The Best Malay Style Chicken Rice in Melaka

by Azri_Azmi Updated Jul 29, 2006

Nasi Ayam Special Restaurant Lorong Pandan

This restaurant is a well known restaurant for a chicken rice malay style. I think we can catagories this chicken rice here in Malaysia to 4 main categories that represent 3 major races in Malaysia plus the 'mamak' chicken rice. The owner now is having 2 branches and i think it will expand to many more branches as the number of customers keep increasing. One is situated in Jalan Bachang (a bit difficult to park your car as it is closely next to the main road) and another branch is at Jalan Lorong Pandan. Staff are friendly and neatly in uniform. Place is clean and good arrangement of table.

Chicken Rice offered :- i) Normal Chicken Rice at RM3.00 ii)Special Chicken Rice at RM5.00. The only different between this two meals is the Special Chicken Rice comes with more potion of chicken and rice, kinda like an XL size of chicken rice. Taste is so superb and the sauce (chilli) that goes along with this rice is unique with its own identity taste. I notice that they mix this sauce with soup/chicken stock.

They also are offering varieties of local dishes, satay and the famous 'Otak - Otak Kempas'.

Favorite Dish: Special Chicken Rice, the potion comes with this menu is just right for an adult. Tasteful sauce and soup. They even pour 2 type of oil during preparation, can't figure what oil, sesame + fish oil maybe on top of the chicken & salads that makes this dish taste delicious.

• dfactor's Profile Photo

Chinese food: Restoran Peranakan

by dfactor Updated Jul 19, 2009

What awaits you on the front door.

Though I grew up in Melaka, I only knew of this splendid restaurant after joining VT, I only have my fellow VTers to thank for. The setting of this restaurant is excellent, it brings you back to time, dining in one of the old shophouses in Hereen Street. Delicate carvings of flowers and birds adorned the waiting area of this restaurant.
    I'm not a foodie nor a food critique. But all I could say is, the food taste good, if not better than my mom's in Melaka. The entire dining experience in this restaurant is quite unique in Melaka.

Note: Reservations is necesary in the weekend. Rather odd operating hours though. Mon to Sun, 11am to 4pm (close at night, no dinner for you); Sat and Sun, 6pm to 9pm.

Favorite Dish: Cendol, Ponteh Chicken, Asam Fish and many more.

• ukirsari's Profile Photo

El Chico's and many seafood stalls Medan Portugis: Fresh seafood nearby the beach

by ukirsari Updated Mar 11, 2008

fried prawn (c) ukirsari

Favorite Dish: Fresh prawn fried with butter and served hot with steamed rice. And Bok who always asking about "chilli padi" [small green chilli diced and added soy sauce in it] make me try to add this sauce in my seafood and ... it's sooooo delicious!!!

• ukirsari's Profile Photo

Hawkers stalls at Medan Portugis: Seafood party :)

by ukirsari Updated Mar 11, 2008

stir-fried seafood with veggie (c) ukirsari

Favorite Dish: Again, there are so many seafood stalls along Portuguese Square. From Peranakan [Strait-born Chinese] to Portuguese - Malay style. One of them is fried snapper with onion and tomato. Added with chilli padi sauce. Truely delicious :)

88 Antiques & Cafe: 88 Antiques & Cafe

88 Cafe...

The restaurant is sort of part of the antique historial show piece of historical Melaka... The interior of the restaurant is cool with exhibits of the nyona heritage... There are bits and pieces of nyoya artifacts on display together with chairs and tables of bygone days...

Favorite Dish: The restaurant is noted for its nyona delicacies... with the nyona assam laksa, ice kachang (or ABC)... It is have a good variety of nyona cakes for sale...

Hoe Kee Chicken Shop: Hoe Kee Chicken Shop

Hoe Kee Chicken Shop...

The restaurant is just across the bridge from the Stadthuy... on the left side of Joner Street... It is very popular restaurant and you will always see people queuing up during lunch and dinner time...

Favorite Dish: The speciality is of course chicken rice... The restuarant service both "ball" rice as well as normal rice in plate or bowl... Besides chicken, there are also other side dishes such as barbeque pork, stir-fried vegetables.... and not to forget the chicken "spare parts" as well...

• mary2u99's Profile Photo

Best Cafe Chin How Kopitiam: Best Cafe

by mary2u99 Updated Mar 20, 2007

Sambal sotong, pickel and sambal belachan

We were very hungry after the 2 hours drive from Kuala Lumpur so we walk around to look for some local Baba Nyonya restaurant. We found this Kopitiam very near to Jonker Street. We were looking for another restaurant but could not find it so we decided to have our lunch here instead

The food was delicious but then we were very hungry and its reasonably price to and the owner was very friendly and recommended us some dishes.

Favorite Dish: We had Sambal sotong (squid cooked in chili), Ayam pongteh( Chicken cooked with potato), Cincaluk omelette (omelette cooked with salted small shrimp). Asparagus Belachan (asparagus cooked in shrimp paste), Fried chicken.

I enjoy the home made cendol( shaved ice serve with gula melaka, coconut milk and pandan jelly).

The meal cost RM83.50 for 5 adult and one child.

Restoran Famosa Chicken Rice Ball: Restoran Famosa Chicken Rice Ball

Restoran Famosa...

Melaka is note for its chicken rice with a difference... ie the rice comes in the shape of a ball... but of course, you can also ask for the normal plate of rice...

Favorite Dish: Of course, as the name suggests, the main dish is chicken rice... with the chicken steamed, roasted ro barbeque... you can also order side orders such as chicken "spare parts", stir-fried vegetables etc to go with the chicken...

• cs_zee's Profile Photo

Kedai Kopi Chung Wah

by cs_zee Updated Oct 18, 2007

Hainanese Chicken Rice Balls

Another chicken tice old-timer. Chung Wah still has a couple of old marble-top tables and chairs. The rice balls are shaped while piping hot. Tastewise, the rice is rather salty and bit mushy. It hasbeen said that the rice is better then Hoe Kee's.

Favorite Dish: - Hainanese Chicken Rice Balls -

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Restoran Peranakan Melaka: Local Baba Nyonya Food

by aussirose Updated Jan 27, 2013

Restoran Peranakan, Melaka Malaysia

We were hot, tired, hungry and thirsty.....but I had to find a Baba Nyonya restaurant.

I spied the word 'Peranakan' and this restaurant looked nice and cool so we ventured in. The following link explains what Peranakan or Baba Nyonya food is - Peranakan Cuisine

I'm glad we did because the food was awesome and the beautiful ornate surroundings were a pleasure to look at whilst waiting for our meal. I can't remember what we had but we shared everything and it all was sooo yummy! :o) Please have a look at the other photos to experience the full ornate charm.

I totally recommend the Restoran Peranakan.

• MilKy83's Profile Photo

88 Jonker Dessert: Best Chendol I've ever tried!

by MilKy83 Written Dec 2, 2007

The Chendol and the red beans are fresh.. the ice is like sand.. real smooth.. not stingy with the cream, milk/ santan and most important of all the tasty Melaka palm sugar that makes it so speacial!

Favorite Dish: ABC

3 Chendol cost RM5

• imstress's Profile Photo

Aunty Lee Nonya Food: Aunty Lee Nonya Food

by imstress Updated Oct 27, 2006

Aunty Lee is a small home cooked Nonya food restaurant.

This restaurant have less than 10 tables and advance reservation must be made.

We ordered Assam Fish, Fried Chicken, Nonya Chup Chai and Duck & Salted Vegetable soup which only cost RM61.

You must try their Chendol which is RM2.50 a bowl. This is one of the best Chendol we have tried in Melaka. It is comparable to Jonker St 88.

Favorite Dish: Assam Fish
    Chendol
    Every dishes is good!

• imstress's Profile Photo

Patty Moon (Moon Luck): Chee Cheong Fun

by imstress Written Oct 27, 2006

Everytime I come to Melaka, I will not give my favourite Chee Cheong Fun (RM2) a miss.
    I could eat a few plates of the Chee Cheong Fun and never get tired of it.

The Hong Kong Style Chee Cheong Fun is made on the spot with fresh ingridents.

I love the char siew ones as it gives a salty taste to the plain flour. The sauce that goes with it is so tasty. Fried onions are sprinkled on top of the it along with delicious grinded shrimp powder.

Other than Chee Cheong Fun, the char kway teow, staty cehlop, wanton mee, satay, samabal stingray are all worth a try.

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Sun May Hiong Satay House: Dang! Where's my pork satay??

by bpacker Updated Mar 16, 2006

The elusive pork satay

Now, way before the big Melaka VT meet, I dreamt of eating the pork satay in Melaka. It was reputed to be good and they were known to serve unmentionables like intestines to go with it. So armed with an old address I went and attempted to lead a group to find it. We set off, confident in the knowledge that it was at the end of old Jonker street. And by the time we walked there, hot and tired and bothered, it wasn't there! It was only a couple of days later, that I found out from Chin where it was. Apparently, it was so bloody hidden that only the locals knew where it was. Just listen to the directions..go to donald and lily's laksa shop. Look across the street. You'll see a row of shophouses. Walk there. You'll see the shop with one lone stove and a really old uncle. Confused? I don't blame you if you are. I have a rough idea where it is though and I will write a full review when I am done testing. In the meantime, just take it from my friend Chin, that the satay is not bad. You'll be piled with a big plate of satay the moment you sit down and payment will be dependent on the number of sticks counted in the end!

Other helpful tips:
    -There's a teensy weensy sign at Heeren House
    -It's somewhere behind Heeren House ( beyound a huge car park)
    -Don't bother calling the satay house, they are better selling satay than giving directions
    -Go to Orang utan Gallery ( the place with the picture of a big monkey) and sit down at shop beside it called eha! . Sip a drink while you curse at the bad weather. After your sanity has returned, ask the owner where to find the damm satay shop.

All pictures are taken by my friend, Chin

• yeikloen's Profile Photo

Along Jalan Ong Kim Wee: Satay Celup...!!!

by yeikloen Written Jun 29, 2003

Satay Celup

This is something that you can only find in Melaka as far as I know till now...!!!, How you do it, is to dip your skewel into a boiling satay sauce. Come in a few varieties, prawns, cockles, pig's stomach, deep fried devil (yau char kwai), pig's ear, pork, taufu, meat ball, and many many more.

Instant Answers: Melaka