Places to eat in Melaka

Most Viewed Restaurants in Melaka

Seri Nyonya Restaurant: Nyonya Food in the company of Joan Marbeck

by cochinjew Written Nov 8, 2008

What a pleasure it was to have lunch at my favourite restaurant in Malaysia with Joan Marbeck, a Malaysian, who is an expert on Kristang the language of the Eurasians of Malaysia. she is also an excellent cook and an erudite judge of the cuisine of her city to which she has dedicated so much time and energy.
    I introduced her to Chef Bong and they had a discussion on what is to be had for Lunch and a veritable feast followed. Joan later emailed me to say that Chef Bong was an excellent interpreter of Nyonya cuisine and that we might hold a dinner there when we meet in Malacca next year for a conference on disappearing languages of Asia.

Favorite Dish: There were six of us eating and the total bill for lunch was only 230 MYR.. less than 40 Euros. for this incredible meal. I bought the nyonya cookbook which was on sale at the restaurant featuring Chef Bong of course.

• aalayaa's Profile Photo

limau cafe: attractive cafe

by aalayaa Updated Aug 30, 2008

it was a really hot day, and we stopped at this cafe to cool down. i love the interior! it has some mixed up decoration on the wall and on the ceilings. some magazines and travel books are available to be read there. the waiters were friendly and they served fast.
    and internet connection is available too there, but not free.

Favorite Dish: we didn't eat anything there, we just had some cold drinks.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Famosa: The place for chicken rice ball

by muratkorman Written Jun 6, 2008

I wasn't that impressed with chicken rice ball as I was expecting something extraordinary. I should never raise my expectations. Anyway, the only attraction of chicken rice ball is the shape of rice coming in balls rather than in a bowl. It is easier to eat, but no difference than plain rice. If you still want to eat chicken rice in a different way, try Famosa restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Chicken rice ball

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

Capitol Satay Restaurant: A different way of Satay

by muratkorman Written Jun 6, 2008

Celup Satay is a different method of preparing satay. The conventional way is to grill the satay sticks on charcoal and then serve them with the sauce. This method requires a boiling sauce heated by an oven below and the raw satay sticks are dipped into the sauce until they are ready to eat. Capitol is the most famous in Melaka as it is the third generation of the family running the restaurant. You have to wait for the queue until a table is free for you to sit. The cooking place is in the middle of each table and they are heated by gas ovens. After the table is cleaned and the oven is set, the waitresses pour down the satay sauce to boil. While waiting, the customers fill their trays with various satay options. Although it is quite hot when you sit on the table, it is a fantastic feast. Service is friendly and quick. The prices are very reasonable.

Favorite Dish: Satay !!!

Delicious Here we are The queue is inevitable

Hotel Puri: Breakfast at Hotel Puri

by cochinjew Written Dec 18, 2007

when you stay at Hotel Puri, the breakfast buffet is complimentary. I had gotten up just before they were closing the service .

Favorite Dish: Omelettes, cereal, various breads were on the offer, but i settled for a croissant and a cup of coffee. the omelettes are made to your order

Seri Nyonya at Hotel Equatorial: A trip to just taste Nyonya Food

by cochinjew Written Dec 18, 2007

How can I describe my feelings to be at one of my favourite restaurants in Malaysia: seri nyonya restaurant with its Chef Bong. I called and made sure he would be there and got there for Lunch before taking the bus to KL.
    I am even begining to recognize the regulars there, not bad for someone who lives on the other side of the world

Favorite Dish: I usually ask Chef Bong for a recommendation and he suggested that I try a new item on the menu
    for drinks I had Air Lychee Assam Boi
    otak otak spicy mackerel pattie mixed with secret spices and grilled in banana leaf with long life leaf 3.80 ringitt
    the main dish was: ayam cili padi petai marinated chicken fillet cooked with birds eye chili and fragrant wild bean paste
    Every time I am anywhere near Malaysia, I will make sure I come here.
    Thank you Chef Bong and his assistant Yenny
    the price is very reasonable for the elegant surroundings. my lunch was only 25 malaysian ringitts about five euros..

chef bong with his assistant Yenny ayam cili ohtak ohtak

• harish_mikael's Profile Photo

Ben No. 6 (Portuguese Square): Don't Miss the Crab dish

by harish_mikael Written Dec 16, 2007

It is dinner at the seaside. This restaurant is one of the many Portugeuse food stall in the square. You can have your seafood serve at your table near the seaside and windy environment. The hawkers style dining set beside Lisbon Hotel, Melaka

Favorite Dish: black papper crab, cuttlefish fritters, otak-otak (grilled fish paste) and grilled fish ala- Portuguese

• pres_16's Profile Photo

Chicken Rice Ball: Restoran Famosa

by pres_16 Written Dec 13, 2007

Roaming around the mall in Melaka Sentral, I was so happy to find this restaurant since we missed the chicken rice ball at Jonker St. during our Melaka side trip.

Favorite Dish: try the Chicken Rice Ball, Steamed chicken, Roasted steamed chicken

steamed chicken w/ chicken rice ball roast chicken

• Dutch Harbour Cafe: Going Dutch In Garden Cafe

by traveller_addict Written Oct 26, 2007

It is unbelievably different. Relaxing while drinking a thirst-quenching Caribbean Perrier Mocktail in a gorgeous garden. I can smell the roasted coffee and my buddy Espresso Segafredo is on its way. One thing I really love this place is the place. Very nicely done. To add its uniqueness, it is located by the river. You can choose to sit by the river and also in the garden. I chose the garden because of the green plants around me. The smooth Jazz music is playing and we are surrounded by attentive and friendly staffs who never forget to smile.
    The main dining area(historical building) is nice. Posters portraying Holland are on the wall. Tulips, The Hague,etc. One poster is very interesting as it shows the different coffee shops in Amsterdam. What captures me is 2 clocks that show both Malaysian and Holland local times. That is creative. Bathroom is absolutely clean.

Favorite Dish: In terms of the food, My favorite food is Pepperoni Pizza and Beef Croquette. The pizza is so good and I can finish it up by myself. Only available in 1 size(12"). RM22 only(No tax though). It is so tasty.Just have to wait around 20 minutes but it is worth waiting.Cheesy and nice pan dough.The croquette is beautifully served on a plate with a bread. Very hot in the middle but very tasty. It is like a nugget but long(about 6 inches).I also had Cassava Fries as a starter and it different. Not oily and you should try this. Not many places offer this.
    My favorite drink is Caribbean Perrier mocktail. It is mixture of Grenadine at the bottom(red color), fresh orange juice and Perrier. Got a little cute umbrella with a hotel-standard garnish.Price wise,it is average. Mineral water RM2. Fresh fruit juice RM5.I forgot about the cheese cake that I had. I had Mississippi Mud cheese cake(RM8) and it is rewarding. Worth buying.

Garden Dining Area at Dusk The Garden Dining Area The Bar and the Kitchen The Rear Entrance The Pepperoni Pizza

• julia687's Profile Photo

Bamboo Hut Bisto: Good selection of food

by julia687 Written Oct 15, 2007

Nice atmostphere, I was eating on my own and several of the staff stopped by for a friendly chat which was quite nice without being too invasive. The menu was very mixed - somthing for everyone, they had local dishes like Laksa, pizza, steak, vegetarian dishes. What I had was very nice!
    It was pretty reasonable - I had a starter, 2 huge beers and a pizza and it came to about rm80 (about £11) and they boxed up the rest of my pizza as I couldnt eat it all which was rather nice!

Favorite Dish: I forget the proper name but they are a starter - Bali Kebabs or Bali skewers or something like that - its lamb i think cooked on a lemongrass skewer, served with peanut satay sauce - super yummy!

• Singles

• elainetan7906's Profile Photo

Tart Tart Shop: Tart Shop.. Yummy!

by elainetan7906 Written May 27, 2007

This is a special Tart shop i found in Melaka. I have order Durian Cheese Tart, baked banana tart, ABC (Mix Shaded Ais with Peanut) & Cendul (Shaded Ais with Green Jelly). The tart is really fresh and nice. You must try it.

No Name: Satay Celuk - Lok Lok

by elainetan7906 Written May 25, 2007

If you are Malaysia, you should be familiar with the food called "lok lok", they put the food on a stick, and you dip it into the boiling water, and you can eat it with peanut, sweet & chilli sos..... but in Melaka, you may find this in a special way, which is you boil the stick of food directly in the peanut sos which is boilling hot...you may call that sos "Satay sos"...its taste just marvelous....One stick cost only RM0.40....it is really cheap! You must try when you are here..

Banyan Garde Cafe: Nyonya Laksa

by elainetan7906 Written May 25, 2007

This is quite interesting place, in front of the shop, they sell food, in the shop, they sell souvinior.. not bad ha...

I've tried the Nyonya Laksa here, quite good, but not as salty as i like..but the aroma is great!

Chong Wah Shop: Chicken Rice Ball

by elainetan7906 Written May 25, 2007

This is the specialty food in Mallaca. They make the chicken rice in a ball format. Quite interesting, but if you like the rice dryer, you might not like this, because in order for it become a ball, the rice are quite soft and sticky. The rice not bad, but chicken a bit too soft that day! overall is good....oh ya... you must try the "Air Limau" Lemon Juice.. it is really tasty.. especially on this hot hot day!

• chiabh's Profile Photo

Thye Lai Coffee Shop: Machap Baru - Thye Lai Coffee Shop

by chiabh Updated May 18, 2007

The noodle stall is located at the front and within the coffee shop... it is a typical small village coffees shop where the villagers will gather and gossip or catch up with the latest news...

Favorite Dish: The stall is famous for its noodles... especially good is the noodle with braised pork (the hakka char yoke)....

noodle stall at thye lai....

Melaka Hotels

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Harbour Inn
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Melaka

Comments

Melaka Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Melaka locals.
Map of Melaka