A' Famosa, Melaka
Just like the "Red Square" reminds you of the Dutch colonial time, the Porta de Santiago is one of the main remains of the Portuguese colonial period over Malacca.
This was the main gate to the walled town. This ancient Portuguese town was built on the Hill of Saint Paul, protected by a powerful fort known as "A Famosa". The Saint James's Gate is the only remain of this fort.
Your visit to Melaka is not complete if you are not visiting the famous Portugese Monument the A'Famosa. There is no cover charge whatsoever to visit the A'Famosa. The effort that needed here is just to climb a few steps to visit the main building which is situated on the top of the hill. A must for all visitors and tourist.
The hallmark of Melaka and perhaps the most photographed landmark next to the Stadthuys. Built by the Portugese in 1511 as a fortress it sustained severe structural damage during the Dutch invasion. The Dutch had set to destroy it but timely intervention by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1808 saved what remains of A' Famosa today.
This building suffered the same fate as St. Paul's Church. The remains are the front facade of the fortress and two cannons. Nothing much left to see on this historical structure. It's merely a landmark of the glorious past.
A Famosa, or "The Famous" in Portuguese, is among the oldest surviving European architectural remains in Asia. Once part of a mighty fortress, this tiny gate (called the Porta de Santiago) is all that is left of a once-mighty fortress. In 1511 a Portuguese fleet arrived under the command of Alfonso de Albequerque. His forces attacked and successfully defeated the armies of the native Sultanate. Moving quickly to consolidate his gains, Albequerque had the fortress built around a natural hill near the sea. After remvoing the Portuguese, the Dutch renovated the gate in 1670, which explains the logo "ANNO 1670" inscribed on the gate's arch. Above the arch is a bas-relief logo of the Dutch East India Company. The fortress changed hands again in the early 19th century when the Dutch handed it over to the British to prevent it from falling into the hands of Napoleon's expansionist France. The English were wary of maintaining the fortification and ordered its destruction in 1806. The fort was almost totally demolished but for the timely intervention of Sir Stanford Raffles, the founder of Singapore, who happened to visit Melaka in 1810. Because of his passion for history this small gate was spared destruction.
The hallmark of Melaka and perhaps the most photographed subject next to the Stadthuys. Built by the Portuguese in 1511 as a fortress it sustained severe structural damage during the Dutch Invasion. The British had set to destroy it but timely intervention by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1808 saved what remains of A' Famosa today.
A Portuguese Fort in the valley of St. Paul's hill. Taken over by Dutch and used as one of the fortress of Verenigde Oost Indische Compagnie [VOC]. It's one of the "top models" in Old Malacca city, after the Christ Church.
Porta de Santiago known as A' Famosa.
the a'famosa fotress was built during the portugese rule over malacca.. take a step back to the glorious past visiting this site.. most of the structure have been destroyed by the dutch during their invasion.. only the etnrance still stands tall until today..
The only remnant left of the old Portuguese fort at this site, A'Famosa, is this gate on the south side of Bukit St. Paul. (St Paul's Hill)
Just follow the steps down the south side of the hill from St. Paul's church to reach the gate.
After the Portuguese captured Melaka, they built a fortress to defend themselves. The fortress, called A'Famosa suffered severe destruction during the Dutch invasion. What's left today is just the entrance walls, still well preserved till today
There are many historic places in Malacca. To name a few: A Famosa, the hallmark of Malacca. The Portuguese built it as a fortress in the year 1511, but it was damaged during the Dutch invasion. St. Paul's Church, or 'Our Lady Of The Hill', is a chapel built by the Portuguese. Christ Church was built by the Dutch in 1753. The Stadhuys, the official residence of Dutch Governors and their officers, was built in 1650. It is now a museum. Sam Po Kong Temple: The great Chinese admiral Cheng Ho was on his way from China to Malacca when his ship was hit by a storm. This temple was named after a fish that miraculously saved the admiral's ship from sinking. The fish mysteriously placed itself against a damaged hull! The Maritime Museum is worth a visit. So are the Dutch and Chinese cemeteries, the Portuguese Square, Hang Li Poh's Well, Hang Jebat's Mausoleum etc.
Build by the Portuguese in 1511 as fortress, it sustained severe structural damage during the Dutch invasion.
This fortess was first constructed by Alfonso de Albuquerque in 1512. Now all that remained was the Dutch East India Company's coat of arms used by the Dutch during their takeover in 1670.
A'Famosa is a Portuguese fortress built in 1511 and destroyed during the Dutch invasion. The stone gateway standing at the bottom of St. Paul's Hill is all that's left.
A famous landmark in Malacca, a small ruins of a former fort. There is a painter there selling his paintings.
The only remnant left of the fort built by the Portuguese in 1512. Both the front and back have carved reliefs, making it very interesting.