Bukit Fraser Off The Beaten Path

• Off The Beaten Path
    Banded leaf monkey, nursing
    by bpacker
    Munia, pausing for the briefest second

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Bukit Fraser

Asian Fairy Bluebird

by bpacker Updated Dec 28, 2006

The Asian Fairy Bluebird of Happiness?

While we were at the Gap Resthouse, the group split to explore the old bungalow while I stayed outside to look around. Good thing I did, I spotted this handsome blue creature perched on a tree, waiting to be photographed. it deserved its whimsical name - Asian Fairy Bluebird . There was something magical about its glossy, iridescent blue feathers! It reminded me of a little fairy tale I read as a child, the Bluebird of Happiness (L'Oiseau bleu, 1908) and I made a little wish before it flew away.

Type:Asian Fairy Bluebird
    Sound:Click here to hear this magical bird whistle
    Video:Click here to see the bird in its full glory
    Where:Near the Gap Resthouse, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia

Photography Note:I was lucky to photograph this striking blue male. It flew away before I had a chance to tell anyone about it. The female, I was told, isn't exactly that striking. It's a paler blue.

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Burung Hantu Rimba ( Birdy Ghost of the Jungle)

by bpacker Updated Dec 12, 2006

The Cuddly Ghost of the Forest

Now, when my birding friends and I planned for this trip to Frasers' Hill , all we wanted to see were birds. We certainly didn't plan on any encounters with the supernatural kind. Yes, we certainly didn't expect to see a ghost in the forest and was quite delighted with the find actually. This ghost wasn't the least bit scary. Far from it, he was brown, cuddly looking and sage-like. Too bad his name in Malay , Burung Hantu Rimba , loosely translates to 'Birdy Ghost of the Forest ' !

Type:Burung Hantu Rimba, Brown Wood Owl
    Where: Hemnant Trail
    Sound :Click here to hear the owl hoot

Photography Tip: Our group was bloody lucky to see this animal in the daytime. We were just trooping down a short trail that was near the Ye Olde Smokehouse when we saw this lovely creature up on a tree.

Photo Credit: This photo is taken by my friend, Mithilesh on the Panasonic FZ30.

Dusky Leaf Monkey

by bpacker Updated Sep 9, 2006

Of all the monkeys I saw in Fraser's Hill, this little fella with the white rings around its eyes was the cutest one of all. It looked as though it had permanent white spectacles so it was a like a Elton John primate.

Type:Dusky leaf monkey
    Scientific Name:(Trachypithecus obscurus),

Lesser Yellow Naped Woodpecker

by bpacker Updated Sep 9, 2006

We saw this woodpecker most of the time when we were at Fraser's hill. More common than the Greater yellow nape.

Type:Lesser Yellownape,
    Scientific Name:Picus chlorolophus
    Where: common in fraser's hill

Magpie Robin

by bpacker Updated Sep 9, 2006

While this is a fairly common bird in singapore and malaysia, it was only over here that I realised that only the juveniles have little bits of white near their wee beaks ( gabe). also there's a tendency for them to look blow-dried, you know, fluffy and all.

Type:Oriental Magpie Robin,
    Scientific Name:Copsychus saularis
    Where: common in fraser's hill

Black Throated Sunbird

by bpacker Updated Sep 9, 2006

Beautiful little bird, while the ones in singapore are either olive or crimson, the ones over here in fraser's hill, pahang, have a iridescent black-blue bib.

Type:Black-throated Sunbird
    Scientific Name:Aethopyga saturata
    Where: Ye olde Smokehouse

White Bellied Swiftlet

Festooned to the ceiling

We discovered lots of nesting swiftlets and as daft as I was, I thought that the nest that were made by these little sods were edible. ( In case you're wondering, yes, I'm chinese and we eat everything, including bird spittal. But we love deluding ourselves by giving the dish tamer names. In this case, the spit of the bird is known as bird's nest). Well, the other birders kindly told me otherwise, this one was not made of edible spit but of twigs, mud and branches. These little nests were festooned to the ceiling with little chicks in them. Guess I won't be eating these.

Type:White Bellied Swiftlet
    Scientific Name:(Collocalia esculenta)
    Where: Telekom Loop

Orange Bellied Leafbird

Orange Bellied Leafbird, Fraser's Hill, Pahang

This handsome bird was posing for us near the Ye Olde Smokehouse. Must admit, its belly did not look particularly orange to me. Perhaps it decided to go blond for that day..

Type:Orange Bellied Leafbird
    Scientific Name: Chloropsis hardwickii
    Where:Fraser's Pine Resort, Fraser's Hill, Pahang
    Sound: Click here to listen to the bird sing.

Grey Chinned Minivet

by bpacker Updated Aug 15, 2006

Grey Chinned Minivet (Male)

I spotted this scarlet beauty after I had tea at the Ye Olde Smokehouse. Truly a joy to behold, the male is striking red in colour and the female is a striking yellow. This vain male flew very close to us to pose for a shot and I was glad to get a clear shot of him.

Type:Grey Chinned Minivet
    Video:Click here
    Sound:Click hereto hear a series of chirps.
    Where:The foliage behind Ye Olde Smokehouse

Photography Note:While it is a joy to look at the bird, it's a headache to get a sharp focus of this little red gem. It's only 18cm and loves to make short flights while foraging for flying termites.

Blue Nuthach

File Pix

If there is one important lesson about birding, it's that birds have particular characteristics. If someone says that they've spotted a sunbird, try to look at the flowers first, they might be suckling on the nectar. If it's a bloody woodpecker, it might pecking away on the trunk and if it is a nuthach, chances are it might creeping up and down the tree trunk. When my team mates first spotted this bird near the Ye Olde Smokehouse, I looked futively at the branches to no avail. Later when I spotted what its characteristics, I had no difficulty locating it on a tree trunk at Guthrie's.

Type:Blue Nuthatch
    Video:Click here to see the cute bird creeping up the tree
    Scientific Name:Sitta azurea expectata
    Where:Guthrie Bungalow

Mountain Imperial Pigeon

by bpacker Updated Aug 14, 2006

OK, this shot sucks but it's the best I can do when I'm kilometres away from this creature! The mountain imperial pigeon is one of the biggest pigeons around and honestly, it looks more like a squat hen on top of a tree!

Type:Mountain Imperial Pigeon
    Where:Jalan Air Terjun
    Video:Click here to see this pigeon nibbling on some fruit
    Sound:Click here to listen to the pigeon make a low coo.

Chestnut Capped Laughing Thrush

Chestnut-Capped Laughing Thrush

Over a month ago, I photographed the white-crested laughing thrush in Singapore and it had white pompidou hair-do. Its cousin in Fraser's Hill, on the other hand has a chestnut cap and though it is not half as showy, it does have a bright chestnut vent ( that's ass in birdspeak for you). Both of them do have a loud call that sounds pretty much like someone laughing. Funnily enough, their laughing call intrigued one jazz musician so much that he recorded a jazz flute ensemble with them!

Type:Chestnut-capped Laughingthrush
    Sound:The call of the Chestnut sounds a lot like its white-crested cousin.
    Scientific Name: Garrulax mitratus
    Where:Pusat, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia

Cuckoo Shrike

Cuckoo Shrike , swaying on a branch

I've spotted this bird quite a number of times near hotels ( Pine Resort / Jelai Highland Resort ) . Quite a handsome fellow with a smart grey plummage.

Type:Javan/Malaysian Cuckooshrike
    Scientific Name: Coracina javensis larutensis
    Where:Fraser's Pine Resort, Fraser's Hill, Pahang

Photo Note:Mithilesh and I chased this bird from Fraser's Pine Resort to Bungalow Glen. Yes, all for one good shot of this bird.

Banded Leaf Monkey

Gotcha! Banded Leaf Monkey, Fraser's Hill

Unkownst to many, Singapore is also the home to a sub-specis of the Banded Leaf Monkey. Since it is fast approaching extinction, I must admit that I have never seen any of these monkeys in Singapore. So when I saw one in Fraser's Hill, I got excited even though it belonged to another species. Unlike the sad monkeys in Singapore, the ones in Fraser's seem to be happy and thriving. I saw many pregnant adults and young banded leaf monkeys and even caught a snapshot of a nursing mother. Here's one of them looking extremely surprised to be photographed.

What:Banded Leaf Monkey
    Sound:Click here and scroll down to hear the monkey's chatter.
    Where: Fraser's Hill, Jelai Highland Resort /Telekom Loop

Photography Tip:Honestly, I didn't do anything to scare the monkey - I was more than 50m away. This shot was taken with a teleconverter.

Long Tailed Sebia

Long Tailed Sebia

This ubiquitous bird at Fraser's Hill is pretty much like the mynah in Singapore. Noisy, pesky and forever rummaging in rubbish dumps for scraps of food! Still, it has a beautiful long tail and worth a second look.

Type:Long-tailed Sibia
    Scientific Name: Heterophasia picaoides
    Where:Everywhere, anywhere, particular around rubbish dumps!

Instant Answers: Bukit Fraser

Comments

Bukit Fraser Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Bukit Fraser off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bukit Fraser sightseeing.