Pulau Tioman Warnings and Dangers

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Tioman

• FOotFetish's Profile Photo

Mosquitoes/Files (Big Bummer!)

by FOotFetish Written Oct 19, 2003

I can't emphasize enough how these irritating bugs are being such a nuisance during my trip.
    When I'm eating, seems like a dozen hundreds of files will come circulating around my food and my head and everywhere! EEKS!
    Mosquitoes.....gosh* they suck ya blood at night especially if you are making your own sweet dreams.

Body Insect Repellent is a MUST!

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo

Ouch! that hurt

by Pete.Gibson Written Sep 19, 2005

hey fella

Now this may sound like a stupid warning, But don't wear sandels when doing the Jungle trail, it is real jungle! we stopped to look at some Monkeys in the high branches ... Only I stopped in the middle of a line of Soldier Ants ...And Boy do they Bite!!!!!

• Hiking and Walking

• muddybok's Profile Photo

Beware of Falling Coconut

by muddybok Written Mar 7, 2005

Beware of Falling Coconut

It's not strange to see these signs on some coconut trunks. Well, not everyone who walks under these beautiful palm trees knows the danger of doing so.

Isaac Newton sure glad that he wasn't discover the law of gravity under the coconut trees. People from tropical countries may be the first to discover the gravity theory, but they never live to tell or prove it. Just kidding!!

• Adventure Travel
    • Water Sports

• dont be fooled by locals fr Juara Village, Tioman!

by hannalogan Written May 20, 2006

My incident lately was totaly being lied and duped as we were given such an information to alter our own understandings and beliefs.
    We arrived by boat fr Salasng to Juara with the idea of going to a particular beach on the south of the jetty...a travellers den that we were recomended..actually thru out our journey fr the islands in Thailand and also few plp and operators we met in East Malaysia Islands...
    so very excited as we heard so much of this chilled out place...also seen the posters all over the Parhentians and Pang Ngan..
    BUT the moment we landed in Juara the locals there seems not giving us any help or info towards this place...I was amazed and knowing that they are on the same village after all!!!?
    Anyways we headed towards this red colored building and ask again and the respond was that its been closed and there is no other resorts or chalets over the southern side..and they are obviously trying to sell us their rooms.....WHAT happened to the freedom of choice!!?Hey..its impossible that its closed down...to what I ve been told its where most travellers hang out in Juara!!
    And some of these plp are so rude and arrogant when the talk to you...makes you just wanna leave but we were so tired as the boat ride was a little rough and cost us a bomb!!
    So getting late and we got a room somewhere near the jetty.....
    FIRST thing the next day is to walk to the south end..looking for our intended 'spot'......and as to my suspicion...the chalets is still there runing with a few travellers hanging around!!!!Such a nice place totally different from the entire village,,,mixed of Thai and Malay....no wonder its been an envy towards the villagers...and the plp runing it arent Tioman locals...cool boys definately been around the island scene for a while...
    We quickly took all our bags and get a new room there...even we were duped for already paying 4 nites over the North end...
    So BEWARE and NOT to be fooled by the stories the create....as it seems I ve met a lot more innocent travelers facing the same situation...

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Dying corals

by xuessium Updated Jul 17, 2005

I have heard from friends who had visited Tioman in recent years for diving that the corals have suffered greatly from the heavy tourists traffic and quite a few areas have died or are dying away. I trust these friends as they are passionate divers and they all wish to see a revival of the ecosystems in Tioman.

• Arfah's Profile Photo

All public phones need telephone cards

by Arfah Updated Aug 22, 2005

None of the telephone booths accept coins.. so bring along telephone cards. Well, you never know when you need to call someone!!! You can purchase this at participating shops (look for the labels "telephone cards sold here" or just ask?) or go directly to Telekom shops. There are 1/2 shops that sell telephone cards but may not have the value you required!!!

One of the place that sells telephone cards is Salang Pusaka Resort.

• Arfah's Profile Photo

Those with mobile phones

by Arfah Updated Aug 22, 2005

Good news to those using Celcom (013/019) coz you're still connected to the world outside through your mobile phones...other mobile phone line providers...sorry...no coverage at all...

Those using prepaid plan...reload your airtime before going coz it can be really challenging looking for prepaid cards there!!! They're sold like "hot cakes"...

• elainetan7906's Profile Photo

Trigger Fish - Chebeh Island

by elainetan7906 Written Sep 12, 2004

This fish always create problem for divers... In Chebeh site, there are a big one... which we call it Mr. Chebeh...

They actually protecting their nesting area which if they are divers passing by or soemthing.. but the problem is.. we cant see the nest....??????

Got your the pix later!

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Not easy to move from village to village

by xuessium Written Jul 17, 2005

The villages are not linked to each other so it is difficult for you to try to hop from one to the other. You can try via ferry but it would also mean waiting for the next ferry to come to send you back.

• School Holidays

• Sand Flies in Juara!!

by jebsnapper Written May 8, 2007

Agreed to miss hana regards to the situation in Juara...2 weeks ago I was in Salang waiting for me gal as she wants to stay in Juara for a nite...I wasnt interested as I have been there before and really know how its like(not worth it)
    Not to my surprise she came back the next day with full of red bites..as some plp are sensitive to these bites and infection was on its way...a trip to the clinic and anti-biotics for a week!!....too bad for her first trip to Malaysia....no booze no fun,no sun no fun!!

• bkarjee's Profile Photo

Sandflies at Juara Beach-Tioman Islands

by bkarjee Written May 27, 2007

Precautions against sandflies

1. Precautionary measure against sand flies

Please note that Tioman Islands is full of sand flies. We need to guard our kids and ourselves against sand fly bites.

Sand flies are similar to mosquitoes, but their bites are more painful than those of mosquitoes. And moreover, they are present even during the day time, unlike mosquitoes which are predominantly nocturnal.

How to protect ourselves from sand flies:

Any skin oil is the best answer to Sand Fly bites. Insect Repellants, no matter what they may claim, really seem to have no effect. Oil stops them completely. It is irrelevant what oil, coconut, mustard, skin oil etc., I recommend mustard oil to keep away the flies. Their pungent smell will surely keep off the flies (this tip is advocated and patented by me-ha. ha. ha. ).

The mosquitoes come out during sunrise and sunset time. So you may like to bring long pants and a long sleeved cotton shirt if you don’t like to use mosquito repellent.

• bkarjee's Profile Photo

The Monitor Lizards of Tioman Island

by bkarjee Written May 28, 2007

Monitor Lizards in Coral Islands

While we were busy having our lunch, there was some movement in the shrub behind us and when we turned our head, we were surprised to see a Monitor Lizard, almost 4-5 feet from head to tale. The kids got a shock of life and ran away from the site. The adults were watching the giant lizard with eyes wide open. Later, everybody was throwing pieces of chicken and sausages and the lizard was happily gulping down the stuff without any difficulty. I guess, these giant lizards were used to such gestures from the visitors. It was perfectly at ease with the humans and I was wondering if we are doing the right thing by feeding these lizards. Later we realized, there was a whole family of lizards. As people kept throwing eatables, more and more lizards kept joining the troop. We spotted at least 4 monitor lizards in the vicinity.
    Later on durip the trip, we encountered monitor lizards in quite a number of places and we were told by the resort guys that the lizard is fairly common all along the island. They are harmless to human beings, unless provoked. Nevertheless, we should exercise full precautionary measures, specially when kids are around.

• Ripping off Tourist!!

by hannalogan Written May 3, 2007

I agreed to a fellow member regards to Tioman espacially the village of Juara..
    I ve been to the east coast islands for more then 10 years and have seen how the locals have progress during these times...but Juara is a sad case or worse!

Getting there alone will be a ripp off..the Taxi will charge you between 30-100 per person depending on their mood and needs!!
    The most expensive ride over 7 km road,even if its still in construction...
    then you arrived in Juara you get attitude problems with the locals...no doubt they look friendly,nut beware of whats going in their minds!!

At one time a 10 year old boy offered himself to sleep with me!!!
    To me its not worth the 'beach' every body id talking about..Juara Beach aint worth the trip and hassle since there are other options like Saland,ABC or Perhantians Island still tops everything else...
    Not to my surprise a Chalet runned by someone thats not from Juara will never last there,espacially with the attitude the locals are behaving!
    What a waste as it a break that the village needs...plp coming in to change the perception of the mentality they are having...
    I guess they like being rude and arroggant as they are...thats Juara...

Quote:
    The Chalet Manana is no longer in operations...guess they belived its not worth their time going thru arroggant mindless plp...a pity.
    Best advise have clean and disturbed fun in Salang,ABC,Nipah or Japamala or any private beaches on the west side...still a good part of Tioman left...

• Sand Flies in Juara!!!Tioman

by hannalogan Updated May 3, 2007

So many cases from friends that the sand Flies in Juara beach(Tioman)will need a treatment from the Doctor..
    the beach the looks nice from a distance but in fact full of sand flies!!
    beware of unexpected visit to a clinic on you beach holidays!!

• Beaches

• Sand Flies in Juara Village!!!

by hannalogan Written May 8, 2007

with all the promotion on this beach..(nicest on the island)...I dont think its all worth it...with the amount of sand flies there!!
    On top of the nasty bites they gave it gets infectious too!!
    So take note on this!

Instant Answers: Pulau Tioman

• LeonV's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I think the anti alchohol signage close to the ABC Jetty sets the scene for visitors to Tioman. It warns of punishments and canings to Muslims that drink.. i.e perhaps Westerners and their social habits are tolerated but not entirely welcomed.
    Nevertheless the place is duty free.

I stayed at Mokhtars on Tioman a while ago - on my own occasion all turned out good,clean,safe and comfortable. There is no one around to hand back the key to personally before around 10AM - but one can leave it at reception or with another traveler.

However, I did have other experiences starting with the Ferry that were unpleasant.
    In brief, the Ferry's air -con was adjusted to 'Freeze' on the way there with icy cold air blasting the tops of heads for 2,.5 hours. No refreshments and nowhere to stretch a leg. On the way back from Tioman - the reverse and suffocating with warm air and little or no aircon. Crew were offhand and unsocial on board both directions.
    Pre-boarding check-in at Mersing had been chaotic. (although initial ferry ticket purchase and customer service at Mersing had been excellent) .

A bad experience on the Island was during a visit to the Bar cum Pizza place near Mokthar's. The Bar manager became vocally aggressive when after 20 minutes of waiting he had overheard me quietly asking a polite Irish Bar assistant if my mini Pizza was on the way. He became outraged and shouted for all to hear that I should be more patient and provided a mini lecture on the topic. It was extremely embarrassing. When the Pizza finally did come - turned out to be a piece of plan traditional flat bread with melted margarine. On the morning of my departure I had asked a person walking towards the departure Jetty whether they knew what time the Ferry left.. Unfortunately that individual turned out to be the same Bar manager - who instantly replied in the same aggressive tone and demeanour with one syllable and non smiling grimace on face: NO.

Otherwise the visit was without incident and pleasant. Unfortunately however the majestic Tourism Office is closed on weekends which would have been disappointing for the many weekenders, surely.

No one was able to provide me with much info' re what to do on the island. The general command of English was poor. A few Dive operators I passed by had some patience but appeared in a state of siesta or busy with instruction. Tourists seemed to be a distraction rather than an opportunity. I will go again - surely can't be that hard to have a trouble free enjoyable experience. The place is beautiful.

Pulau Tioman Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Pulau Tioman warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pulau Tioman sightseeing.