Gula Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Gula

Krabby Crab

by AngMimi Written Mar 19, 2012

Krabby Crab said "LEAVE ME ALONE"

Okok..I go..

Crabs can be found at Mangrove swamp forest, where the mudflat is rich with minute organisms and planktons (whatever).

Catching crabs can be a source of income to fishermen at Kuala Gula.
    Some species of crab can be kept in cages. Soft shell crabs are also kept in cages, with new technique of producing more soft shell crabs for the market. The long legs of crab are cut, leaving those two small legs behind, they are kept in clean water and feed, in three to four days, the crabs will shedding the old hard shell to soft shell. Interesting!! I saw it on TV how they do it in Malaysia.

Look Ma - I can walk, said Mr Mudskipper

by AngMimi Written Mar 19, 2012

Wow...I can walk, Im a walking fish. A mudskipper, is quite an ugly fish with big head and big protruding eyes that are set close to each other. It can crawl and jump over the land with its powerful fins infront that act as arms and make the mudskipper walking thru mudflats.

Incredible, it can lives in the water and swamps area.

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

Bi Po, Bi Po - Popping sound of nature..

by AngMimi Written Mar 19, 2012

Strange Noise of loud "Bi Po" "Bi Po" popping sound can be heard. Strange, I don't know where it came from, but the popping sound can be heard everywhere. I thought it must the sound of the mangrove seed dispersed, but its not too... Strange, very very strange..

Aaah..Later Mr Tan told us that its the sound of Snapping prawns or pistol shrimp. I read its the loudest animals on earth. I cant find any pistol shrimp thru naked eyes.

Please read this interesting article of Pistol Shrimp.

A walk thru the Mangrove Forest

by AngMimi Written Mar 19, 2012

At one end of the fishing village, there is a place for relaxing in the mangrove forest, thats rich in tree species and aquatic life. Have fun walking around the mangrove roots and mudflats and take pictures of the surrounding area.

It is so peaceful here.. :-)

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

Boat Ride thru the coastal mangrove forest

by AngMimi Written Mar 19, 2012

Four of us taking the boat ride with Mr Tan as our guide. The ride thru the mangrove forest can be very interesting, watching for birds, monkeys, monitor liquids, snakes, etc... I dont see any crocodile around. And a lot of fishing anglers in small and big boats.

Bird Watching @ Kuala Gula

by AngMimi Written Mar 19, 2012

Kuala Gula is famous for being a bird santuary. There are thousand of migratory birds visit Kuala Gula from September until April every year. So bird lovers, please come to visit Kuala Gula to see and take pictures of the birds.

Hmm..I am not bird lover here, so I do not know the birds' names.

• Photography

Cockles Harvesting 2

by AngMimi Updated Mar 10, 2012

Sampan fully loaded with cockles

Cockles is one type of shell fish found easily at Kuala Gula, they are harvested and processed for distribution to local market. As earlier, the action of harvesting cockles in the sea and now they are back to the fishing port.

The cockles...eeee, they looked very dirty with muds and dirts, then they are thrown into a rotating machine what will filter all those dirty cockles with high volume of clean water, seems like an easy job cleaning cockles. Then the cleaned cockles would be packed into big nylon sack and sent off to local market.

Cockles come in three different colors in brown, blackish and almost white. I cant remember, neither one have a lot of flesh. It doesnt matter, anything color also can eat. But those big size cockles can cost about Malaysian Ringgit $4 per kilo and those small ones about $1-2.

Cockles can be cooked in a lot of Malaysian dishes but I just like to boil them in hot water and eat with chilli & garlic sauce. Cockles contained a lot of blood inside and they are called bloody cockles. Having less blood in our body system, eat cockles :-))) Cockles in Chinese Hokkien dialect called "HAM" and in Malay language "KERANG"

Just a funny story to tell you that might put you off, not to eat cockles. Ok, imagine all the fishing villages with toilet beside the river. Well a lot of people pooing, and those faeces dropped into the river and those cockles eat them. Yummilious ..Hohoho..

Cockles Harvesting 1

by AngMimi Updated Dec 23, 2011

Harvesting Cockles from the sea.
    We saw three boats each circling round and round at the same point. Hey, what are they doing? No one nagivate the boat, just one person holding a long pole, skooping cockles from the sea bottom, the cockles in the wired container will then transfer into the boat. Wow… don’t they get dizzy with the boat going round and round..

We are lucky to have our Guide Mr Ong to show us how to scoop cockles from the river. Each person have the chance to do it, seems easy to do it for an expert like Mr Ong. Oh yes, we are not allowed to scoop cockles at Kuala Gula, its trepassing.. Anyway, its an exciting experience.

The Bird Sanctuary Resort

The office of Bird Sanctuary Resort

You have to come here for the boat ride at Kuala Gula. Nice place to stay at this Bird Sanctuary Resort but quite expensive.. Just walk around here, have something to eat at the restaurant before you start the tour around Kuala Gula

• Fishing

Guard Dogs

Birds :   Grrrrrrrr....

Each and every kelongs have dogs to guard the place. Stealing could be plenty, fishes and crabs in the cages could fetch thousand of ringgit, so here the owners put dogs to watch over the kelong. As you can see, the dogs are of good pedigree dogs and they are good in chasing birds away like in this picture. Hey, its my duty to chase the birds away. I¡¦m much better than Guard Cat..

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

CAUTION!!! Guard Cat On Duty. :-))

by AngMimi Written Dec 23, 2011

Guard Cat

There are so many Kelongs (Offshore Fishing Platform) built here at the Kuala Gula. But this kelong must be belongs to Malay owner, I just assumed they are. We are in the boat slowly watching the fishing activities, looking for birds and hey, there're two persons on boats at one of the kelong. Let’s go and see what they have caught. Slowly approaching the boat, hmmmm… they caught live crabs, be careful with your fingers, don’t want to crab to clamp you. Anyway, they are already in expert in doing so, no thanks for wise chick like me.

Hey, someone at the kelong came to inspect us, incase we are some intruders trespassing his territory. It’s a Guard Cat, oh mine, what a ferocious Kitty Cat. Hey, don’t play-play here, I’m a Guard Cat, as good as a Guard Dog. I can jump into fishing boat easily (kitty jumped over the boat to inspect what’s happening here), not as clumsy like a dog, I’m not afraid of water, I can chase all the birds away, I can jump, run on these small planks, I can cleaned myself, I don’t eat much but nice fresh fish will be good enough for me. Aaah, I’m so happy to be here.

I’m a Guard Cat, hear me ROAR !.......MEEEEOOOOOOOOOOWWWW…

• Fishing

Instant Answers: Gula

Comments

Gula Travel Guide

Gula Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Gula things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gula sightseeing.