Ipoh Off The Beaten Path

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Ipoh

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Kellie's Castle - interior and ghosts.

by IreneMcKay Written Feb 14, 2014
    Kellie's Castle - interior.

The interior of Kellie's Castle is interesting. One room has been furnished to show how it may have looked if the castle had been finished. The rest is empty. There's a very,very dark wine cellar, lots of spiral staircases, hidden exits, secret tunnels. Not being an expert on history, I don't know how politically stable life was in Malaya at this time, but it certainly seemed as if Kellie Smith wanted to be able to spirit his family away at the first signs of any trouble.

The castle has a tall tower where the elevator would have been. On the rooftop there is a flat area for entertaining guests. The plans for the castle are lost, but I watched a documentary on-line about the construction and history of the castle; experts reckon they may have intended to top the castle with domes like the popular Moghul style architecture that was found in many parts of British Malaya.

Near the furnished room there were some photos of Kellie Smith and his family during their time in Malaya.

I noticed as I read the information plaques in each room a bit of an obsession with ghostly occurrences at the castle. The castle is supposed to be haunted by Kellie Smith himself, his wife, his daughter as a child. Even the stables were described as haunted and filled with weird incense smells. I did not find the castle at all scary, though I may not say that if you locked me in there at night!!!! I think the ghost stories arise from the castle's sad history, the fact it was left as an overgrown ruin for a long time and the unusualness of such a building in Malaysia. Old buildings there would be temples, mosques, palaces - a castle is different and therefore may seem a little creepy.

I even found a link on-line to a group of Malaysian ghost hunters who spent a night there.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Kellie's Castle - Hindu Temple.

Hindu temple.

I assumed the Hindu temple that Kellie Smith built for his Indian workers to appease the gods when the workers were all dying of Spanish flu would have been on the castle grounds, but it is not.

To get to the temple exit the castle, cross the bridge, return to the main road and go left. You can see the temple in the distance from the top of the castle. We got our driver to take us there, though you could walk.

The temple was closed when we got there, but we were able to see the statue of Kellie Smith on the roof of the temple.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Kellie's Castle - grounds.

by IreneMcKay Written Feb 14, 2014
    Kellas House through the arched doorway.

It is also worth taking a stroll around the castle grounds. One side is bordered by the river. Close to Kellie's castle there are the stables. There are large grassy areas and at the far end there is an arched doorway which may at one time have been the main entrance to the castle.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Old Federal Building

by Willettsworld Written Aug 21, 2010

Built in 1899 by a Ceylonese architect, C.H. Labrooy, this building was used as the Anderson Primary School between 1909 to 1919. Up until the 1960s, it was used as the Perak Chief Ministers office and the State Secretariat. The design is Neo-Classical with Roman pillars.

Jalan Kuala Kangsar

• Architecture

• global-drifter's Profile Photo

Pet Store Perils

by global-drifter Written Nov 9, 2010

I discover a pet store in the central part of town on Jalan Sultan Abdul (jalan translates to road in Malay), that specializes in all things exotic. Now they called it a pet store, but by the look of the cages and cramped condition, perhaps 'exotic animal prison' would be a more fitting title. Poor-luck puppies must sleep on iron bars, as no bedding is provided. Iguanas rest on top of tortoises, forced to dwell in a cage with too many inhabitants and not enough room.

Despite its many faults and grievances, I must admit, this pet store houses a wider variety of animals than I've seen in some zoos. To name a few; sugar gliders, both turtles and tortoises, fighting roosters, chinchillas, tapirs, iguanas, kittens, puppies and even an African Grey Parrot.

I try coaxing a phrase out of this one, but no luck. What inspiration could he find stacked three cages high? I will try again tomorrow, and perhaps bring some snacks for all the animals. I will need to feed them discreetly though, as the shopkeeper has a fierce gaze and watches me like a hawk and not like a parrot.

• global-drifter's Profile Photo

Pet Store Perils

by global-drifter Written Nov 9, 2010

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Ipoh

Comments

Ipoh Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Ipoh off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ipoh sightseeing.