Temengor Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Temengor

Visiting Kampung Chuwei

by AngMimi Updated Nov 29, 2011

House of spices..

At Kampung Chuwei, formerly the MNS (Malaysian Nature Society) hut was station here before they moved to Kampung Tebang.. where more hornbills are found flying over here.. I didnt visit this Kampung Chuwei, because of the place is a bit too steep to go up..

There are more people here, more lively with dangdut (indonesian techno music) and house of spices..Lets see what they have here..

Plain-Pouched Hornbills Conservation - 3

by AngMimi Updated Nov 23, 2011

Hornbills perched on top of Pokok Tualang

You can see them in the zoo, may be in some holiday resorts in Malaysia, but not plenty like I have seen here at Temengor.

What is so special about the Hornbills? Well, they are family of bird, found in Asia, Sri Lanka and Afrika. There about 10species of Hornbills found in Malaysia - Helmeted Hornbills, Wrinkled Hornbills, White crowned Hornbills, Plain-pouched Hornbills,Bushy-crested Hornbills, Wreathed Hornbills, Oriental Pied Hornbills, Great Hornbills,Black Hornbills and Rhinoceros Hornbills.

Plain-pouched Hornbills can only found in Temengor and not others place. They are big in sizes - around 90 cm and weighed around 2kg. The hornbill lifespan - 10years in natural habitat and 20years in captivity (In the Zoo or Bird Park in Penang).

So far, nobody found their nesting places and nobody knows where the Hornbills migration. Great ideas of capturing a Hornbills by Helicopters and throw a big net while the Hornbills gathered for their daily diet of May flies and fruits..Hehe.. Or give them a shoot with blowpipes.. No, it doesnt work too. If only a Hornbill can be captured and given a Satelite tag, then we will know to where they gone to during migration. (A big of nonsence here)

During our 5days and 4 nights in Temengor, during the Hornbills counting and after that, the Hornbills will fly over our head, circling the sky to find the May flies or finding mates. Then after a while, they will perched on some branchs of trees for fruits (like in the picture), thats the most rewarding pictures I have taken in Temengor.. Other days, my camera can't take a picture from far (just 10x zoom). Find the nearest place fruit tree they will perched, the first 3 days we can only see them in telescope, so dissapointed. 4th days, I stayed back in hut while the rest gone for counting (I've to admit, Im not good in counting) Taking so much of pictures I wanted, and there I find the exact place the Hornbills perched on the tree, wah liao!!! on another hill beside my hut..

Im still smilling like a monkey, thinking of all the Hornbills in Temengor..

• National/State Park

What the largest flower in the world - Rafflesia

by AngMimi Written Nov 21, 2011

If you enjoyed Rainforest, an Eco lover than you should see the largest flower and smell like rotting corpse in the world - The Rafflesia or they call PakMe in Malay. There are about 27 species of this flower in South East Asia and some of them can grow up to 1 meter is diameter and weigh in about 10 kilograms. The Rafflesia is also an amazing flower because the bud of this flower takes a whole 9 months to develop into the beautiful flower. And the sad thing is that the flower only lasts for 7 days. The Rafflesia will smell bad only after it's full bloom of 5-7 days.

To bad, we only see the Rafflesia bud on the ground, not fully bloom..hmmmmmmmmmm :-/

Meet Kak Eren

by AngMimi Updated Oct 14, 2011

Ageless Kak Eren

Things to do tips, I met Kar Eren, the special orang asli lady in Kampung Tebang. How I meet her? Well, I was the last person to get down from the hill after the hornbills counting.. There she was with some other ladies and children at the Orang Asli Community Hall just beside our hut. There, i just started a conversation by greeting them "Sudah Makan" (Have You Eaten?) with a BIG SMILE!! Some simple and powerful words to start a friendship.. emmm..

The next day, after our outing to Kiroi Waterfall, we have to go another place to pluck some ferns to cook the orang asli's style.. Kak Eren came over our MNS hut to show us how to cook rice and those ferns inside the bamboo. Kak Eren is infront of me, chances for me to know more of her... I always started my silly jokes by asking her "Kak Eren, are you 21 years old, you looked so young than me.." Actually, she doesnt know her age.. because some of the orang asli are illiterate and they really dont know their children age...

Kak Eren, she loves dogs and almost all dogs and puppies in the Kampung belongs to her, I guess she is really kind to animals. Oh yes, she stays in a very small hut at the edge of the Kampung and alone there with her dogs. Sometimes, we should be grateful to what we have now, cos there are people out there who are less fortunate than us..

Plain-pouched Hornbills Conservation 2

by AngMimi Updated Oct 7, 2011

That is Terry, our MNS Guide.

On the first day, by 5 o'clock in the evening, we are all ready to go uphill to the hornbills monitoring site for counts. The weather was cool and windy, and that the time the hornbill will fly back to the south of Temengor.. The monitoring site is as big like a football field and with beautiful sceneries behind...

Terry, our MNS Guide, she is an expect in birdwatching especially hornbills. She has a first class knowledges of the hornbills, orang asli and Lake Belum Temengor. This year, she cant stay here for the whole 2 months because of her mother's illness, hopefully, her mother gets well soon.. Will be praying hard for your mother, Terry..

So some of us are holding binoculars, getting ready for the counts...just wait patiently... Ah..Terry saw the first flock, flying back and forth just beyond the horizon.. Ok, count... 1st flock - 5. 2nd flock - 6. 3rd flock... 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,8,9....arrrrrgh I lost count.. counting the hornbills can be mind boggling, mind you..hehe.. We was so excited when we saw the birds coming..but the birds flow back very fast as though they want to go home fast before sundown. The hornbills are so unique, the flapping sound effect was really something. From far, Terry could hear the Hornbills unique sound of uh-huh, uh-huh...just like the KC and the sunshine band song "Thats the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh... Im talking nonsence.. but the hornbills really sound like that..uh-huh...uh-huh... It was amazing, as though they were in good shape for flying across the lake belum temengor...

We are there until 7.15pm, so going down, back to our hut for rest, bath and dinner time.. Im cooking..

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

Forget the sheeps, count the Hornbills

by AngMimi Written Oct 5, 2011

The first night there, my muscle aching and I cant sleep because I had too much black coffee.. By 10pm, everybody seems to be very tired and and solar light will be off at 10pm.. So I went in to my small cubicle bed with mozzy net..I cant sleep....arrrrrggggghhh.. Light off, total darkness...what should i do...

So, things to do tip.. Cant sleep, try counting Hornbills instead.. oh, thats not working then try listen to the Nature's soundtrack, hhmmmm.. could be peaceful relaxation...I can hear the owls....hooot...hoooot.... the house lizard's laughing at me, kakakaka... the clock is ticking, tick-tock...tick-tock... The frogs peeeep...peeeep... then come the most annoying sound of WILD BOARS - SNORE ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ... Alamak, I cant sleep the whole night, i wish to put duct tape to the person's mouth to stop his terrible snoring...

Plain-pouched Hornbill Conservation 1

by AngMimi Updated Oct 4, 2011

Malaysian Nature Society (MNS) initiated a volunteer programme to provide the public an opportunity to assist MNS to monitor the Plain-pouched Hornbill. In August and September, the season for the Plain-pouched Hornbill, so yes, thousand of them flock in Temengor, in search of food. There are many question unanswered why these birds are here.

So here the volunteers like me, can help to conduct the important daily flight census and be a part of a national conservation effort, helping the MNS staff in collecting data. Hornbill census is conducted twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.

Please refer to the MNS website for more details, there's a lot of interesting subject on Hornbills and others.

Visit MNS website : www.mns.my
    : www.hornbills.org

• AngMimi's Profile Photo

Orang Asli Settlements (Kampung)

by AngMimi Updated Sep 29, 2011

There are about 17 orang asli kampung in Belum Temengor Forest Complex, but I have just seen 6 kampung at South Lake Belum Temengor.. Majority of them belongs to Jahai and Temiar tribes. Over the North near to Royal Belum, there are still orang asli in sexy loincloth like in the picture 1.

Picture 1 - picture taken from a coffeeshop in Gerik. A picture hang to the wall.
    Picture 2 - Alamak, I forgot the name
    Picture 3 - I forgot the name too
    Picture 4 - Thats Kampung Tebang, i stayed for 5 days
    Picture 5 - Thats a map of more Kampung of orang asli at the north Royal Belum.

Waterfalls

by AngMimi Written Sep 29, 2011

There is a Waterfall where we take our drinking water from..Take a 10minutes boat ride to Kiroi and walk over for 10mins thru the rainforest and horrible leeches, OMG it is just amazing, the beautiful waterfall...

Belum-Temengor Rainforest Complex

by AngMimi Updated Sep 29, 2011

That Terry, Wong, Azam and Roslan (Orang Asli)

Belum-Temengor Rainforest Complex is located in the District of Hulu Perak, Perak. It supposed to be one of the world's oldest tropical rainforest that comprises of Royal Belum State Park, Gerik Forest Reserve, Temengor Forest Reserve, etc.. Lake Temengor is the second largest manmade reservior in Peninsular Malaysia, the lake is 4 times the size of Singapore..wow thats even bigger than Danau Toba in Sumatera.

The Belum-Temengor Rainforest Complex have rich flora dan fauna, over 200 species of birds including 10 species of Hornbills, endangered animals like Malayan tiger, leopard, sun bear, Sumateran rhinoceros, elephant, gibbons and tapir, so much variety of freshwater fish, butterflies, moths, katak, lizards and finally I guess the beautiful Raffesia..

I found my peace here..

by AngMimi Updated Nov 29, 2011

sitting on the raft - washing for hours..

Many times, I need quiet and peace to relax and recharge.. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... :-)
    I missed home...!!

Flora and Fiona of Temengor

by AngMimi Updated Nov 22, 2011

Malaysia has a precious forest heritage and rare wildlife with an abundance flora and fauna.
    They beautiful? Ideal for those interested in taking nature pictures.

Meet the Orang Asli Children

by AngMimi Updated Oct 14, 2011

So cute..

There's nothing much I want to say here, other than - They are such special children I have met. No soft toy to hold or toys to play and yet they are so happy..

Instant Answers: Temengor

Comments

Temengor Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Temengor things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Temengor sightseeing.