Heritage, Penang

Know about this? Rate It!

Marriage of Old & New Buildings
    Most Beautiful Antique Vases on Altar
    Bondage Of Old & New Buildings
  • limkahwan's Profile Photo

Rare Items

by limkahwan Updated Jan 18, 2013

Most Beautiful Antique Vases on Altar

Favorite thing: While I was roaming around the city, I found these antique Vases on the altar in one of the oldest associations in Penang. It is the Carpenter's Temple called "LOO PUN HONG" built in 1856 situated at LOVE LANE.....

Fondest memory: From picture 2 to 5, you can see how our local developers and government handle old historical buildings in new developments. We ask, "Is this the proper way to preserve the old buildings"? Is this the correct way? I have seen many preserved historical buildings but I have never seen this method. If they conserved with good landscape, I think it is more meaningful to preserve the historical building and definitely draw a lot of visitors, and will make Penang more beautiful. It so important that we have a UNESCO in our life otherwise there left nothing for the future generation.

• Photography
    • Architecture

• joeycw's Profile Photo

Experience Penang Heritage culture

by joeycw Written Sep 13, 2011

Favorite thing: When come to World Heritage Sites and I would like to walk around the core zone to experience the world heritage icon. Penang is also famous for its heritage building and culture.

I will start with the beach road where Fort Cornwallis are, then walking along the beach road where the Logan's building are newly restored. If you are keen on old jetty for photograph and the road towards the beach on the left of beach road where some of the Clan jetties located are interesting too. I took my pre wedding photograph at one of the clan jetty.

Tips: Chew jetty are recommended if you love culture or historical woodern/stilt village house. There is a signage 'Chew Jetty' along the Weld Quay.

Then walking back to Chulia Road and going towards Armenian road would be inretesting where I am more attracted where there are Yap Kongsi and Khoo Kongsi temples, Hock Teik Cheng Sin Temple, Dr Sun Yat Sen musium, Islamic musium etc. Of course the most interesting places would be the oldest temple along the Kapitan Masjid road namely 'Kuan Yin Teng'.

Tips: Pray at the Kuan Yin Teng or just visit and observe the locals making offering and worship is really worth a visit if you love chinese culture.

Fondest memory: My best memory of Penang of cause the penang food like char kuey teow at Lorong Selamat and also assam laksa of penang (you can get this bowl anywhere in Penang).

• DanielF's Profile Photo

Shophouses

by DanielF Written Aug 4, 2003

Favorite thing: Shophouses in Chinatown are often decrepit, the streets may not be the cleanest, stores are definitely not the fanciest...

But this is the most without any gender of doubt the most "authentic" and colourful Chinatown I have seen in Malaysia and Singapore.

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Pearl of Orient

by Audrey118 Written Oct 1, 2002

Favorite thing: Many locals especially from Kualal Lumpur travel to Penang for a short holidays. This destination is especially popular with small and young families. When I was a kid, my dad would take us to Penang during our school holidays. But these days, the affluent family take their children to Disneyland!!!

Many tourists come to Malaysia to visit Kuala Lumpur and then Penang - or vice versa. They think it is a beach place - frankly we have other beach front to offer. But still in Penang you have the hotel lined beach at Ferringhi and then you have loads of good hawkers which the local haunt all the way from KL (like me) - and there is so many temples - all different styled, and lots of history behind this island.

Once upon a time it was sister city to Adelaide with the then premier married to a gal from Penang!!

Fondest memory: I guess my all time fondest memory to Penang would be my first trip there - I was under 5 years old and it was my first time on the plane. The night before I had wild dreams of how a plane would look like. I thought our journey there would be an overnighter so I had this wildest idea that there would be bedrooms in the plane. It was also the first time I saw people in uniforms!!! I mean the stwedards and stweardes.

As I grew up , dad would take us to Penang and left us in the hotels with mum. We always stayed at Rasa Sayang Hotel .
    I r'ber I was so tired of eating thehotel food, my sister and I sneaked out to the road entrance and saw this great Malay stall selling mixed rice - helluva fun - we doggie back to the room fried fish and rice and ate with hands!!!!

Then another occassion to r'ber was riding the trisha - there is mum and my other two siblings...so we got onto two trishaws!!! and mum gave direction to both riders where we want to get to - but our trishaw took a different route which my mum freaked out = she hopped off her trishaw and left her son on it - and ran for us girls!!!!

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Fire Brigade

by Imbi Written Feb 2, 2004

Favorite thing: I was impressed to see the same fire brigade as we see in England. Good to see that in Penang they are still keeping the heritage.

Instant Answers: Penang