Art & Architecture, Penang
Karpal Singh Drives in evening and early night attracted some people from local residence site nearby who spend their after meal time to have strolling around.
There are also some customers who dine in the restaurants in the commercial complex.
The attraction to me is the illuminated blue pillars. They got the light from the blue spot lights shooting to them, they are beautiful.
The street lights enable the local residences to spend longer time if they want to enjoy natural sea wind.
The four tall pillar sculptures were built on the promenade and the deck in the middle of Lebuh Sg Pinang 4 and Lebuh Sg Pinang 5, later is named as Karpal Singh Drives to mark rememberance and respect to the late YB Karpal Singh.
This sculpture represent the meaning of A Celebration of Our Blue Sky, a description sign with the poem of it is stand in front of the pillars. The sculpture is a modern art created by renowned artist Nakayama Hitori on 25 Jan, 2008.
Karpal Singh is a great politician who passed away suddenly in a road accident.
The Penang State government has chosen a sub coastal road to name - Karpal Singh Drives.
Turn in from Lebuhraya Tun Dr LCEwe, in front is the 4 blue pillars' sculpture. This road divide to left and right, the commercial area in left and the residence site in right. Along the seafront, there is bicycle path and the rest area is just under the 4 pillars sculpture. From here, the 1st Penang Bridge is very clear in view.
Cultural Heritage Buildings is a proof of our diversity and rich culture in Penang, which dated back two centuries. Penang not only offers Heritage Buildings but also the recipient of the UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards in 2006 with the Penang Teochew Association Ancestral Home in Chulia Street. Beside the Heritage buildings Penang also offer abundance of street foods from different Race (Malay, Chinese, Indian, Nonya, etc...etc...) . With an area of 109 hectares heritage trails you can find all the rich history, culture and all the local foods easily within walking distance.
From the Raja Tun Uda Ferry Terminal, walk across Pengkalan Weld (main street), then turn right to see the junction to Gat Lebuh China (or China Avenue).
Wisma Kastam (Office of Customs Department) is just right at the corner. This old British colonial building was named Malayan Railway Building. It was completed in 1907. It was not a Railway Station, but a ferry and railway ticket office for Penang. People bought a ticket here and took a ferry to Butterworth to board a train. The building has a clock tower and even with light after dark.
Along the same street, you will continue to see more colonial buildings like the Georgetown Chamber and Bangunan Uab, and etc.
From Gat Lebuh China, turn left on Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keiling I discovered one of the most beautiful side of Penang during sunrise.
Next: Jalan Masjid Kapitan Kiling
Known as the first "Great House" and is a colonial Mansion that was build on William Light's land. It has been recently restored in a partnership between the Malaysioan Govt, Corporate investment and donations. To say that it was restored from a shell is an overstatement, it has been lovingly restored and furnished with itmes that fit with the period of the house. Spend the extra money (about $2 AUD) and get the guided tour, it is worth the extra information.
The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is one of the most elegant hotels in the Orient. Often called the E & O, it was the first of a chain of hotels founded by the four Armenian brothers, Martin, Tigran, Aviet and Arshak Sarkies, collectively known as the Sarkies brothers. Some of the best known hotels in the Far East were started by them, including the Raffles Hotel in Singapore and the Strand, in Rangoon, Myanmar.
The idea to set up the hotel business came about in 1885 when the Sarkies brothers met the Khaw family in Bangkok, and was encouraged by them to set up a hotel in Penang. The Khaws built two separate hotels which the Sarkies managed. These were the Eastern Hotel, completed in 1884, and the Oriental Hotel, in 1885. It became immediately apparent that these two hotels should be combined, and hence the Eastern & Oriental Hotel was formed. The merger of these two hotels created one of the finest hotel establishments in the region. It boasted of having the world's longest sea-front lawn, which is 842 feet in length. Famous personalities who arrived at the E&O included Noel Coward, Douglas Fairbanks, Hermann Hesse, Rudyard Kipling and Somerset Maugham.
India House is a double-storey building that's located on the corner of Beach Street and Church Street Ghaut, and carries an address on both streets. It was built in 1937 in the Indian Art Deco style, by S.N.A.S Sockalingam Chettiar.
The TTS Building is an impressive structure constructed in 1920 for the estate of the late Cheong Fatt Tze, whose alias is Thio Thiaw Siat, hence the initials TTS on the building. The building bears a combination of Eastern and Western elements reflective of the Straits Eclectic sense of aesthetics. At the parapet level of the TTS Building are ornamental urns which are aligned with four piers to create the portico.
The George Town Dispensary is housed in a landmark three-storey corner building at the junction of Beach Street and China Street. The building was constructed in 1923 as a dispensary which has since closed. On the first floor of the building were two physician consultation rooms with a shared waiting area and laboratories.
Originally known as the Malayan Railway Building, this is one of the most prominent heritage buildings along the Weld Quay waterfront of George Town. Completed in 1907, it was often called the "only railway station in the world without a railway". Passengers buying train tickets were ushered onto the railway ferry to cross the channel, where they then boarded the train in Butterworth. Today it's known as the Wisma Kastam and serves as the offices of the Customs Department.
The colonial district of George Town features several colonial bank buildings located along Beach Street, south of the Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Clocktower. These include the Standard Chartered Bank built in 1930, RBS Bank, Hong Leong Bank, and CIMB Bank.
The Penang State Assembly Building, or Dewan Undangan Negeri Pulau Pinang, is a public building built in the Anglo-Indian classical style along Light Street. It used to be the Recorder's Courts and Magistrate's Courts, and formed part of the Central Police Station. At that time, all criminal court cases were heard at the Police Court, which was housed there. The Penang State Assembly Building was built in the early 19th Century, and renovated in 1874. An administrative block, now the Immigration Building, was added in 1890.
The courthouse was built to replace the original courthouse which was constructed on the same site in 1809. It is located on a plot of land bounded by Pitt Street (Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling), Light Street (Lebuh Light) and Farquhar Street (Lebuh Farquhar). The building was built in the Palladian style and was inaugurated in September 1903. It was designed by the engineers of the Public Works Department headed by John Henry McCallum, the Surveyor-General of the Straits Settlements, based in Singapore. The total cost of construction was 206,678 Straits Dollars.
The Loo Pun Hong, the oldest carpenters guild in Malaysia, was formed before 1855. Its original premises were at Lebuh Penang. The temple is dedicated to Lo Pan, a legendary inventor of carpenters tools and weapons. Guild members are artisans belonging to the Sinling dialect group from Guangdong, China. This temple, established by the Northern City contractors guild, was probably built in the 1880s. It was adopted in 1885 as the joint temple for the contractors guild and the Northern Lu workers guild. Fine examples of carved and gilded wooden sedan chairs can be seen.