How safe is the seawater, Penang

Know about this?

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Dally with Jellyfish

by bpacker Updated Nov 17, 2005

Batu Ferringhi Beach

Honestly speaking, the beach at Batu Ferringhi, Penang isn't quite what the tourist literature makes it up to be. The sandy portion is narrow, there are rocky outcrops everywhere and there's jellyfish within those waters. How did I know that? I got stung in the butt here once when I was stayed here at Golden Sands Resort once. Needless to say, I yelped, jumped out the water and went to search for vinegar to soothe my bottom. I should have just played with the sand just like these kids.

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

Mother Earth & Mother Nature

by RoyJava Updated Jul 16, 2005

seaview-penang

"Mother Earth has given us so much richness. But we shamelessly destroy it all without any regard. The sea means everything to us. It provides our very living.... We will fight to protect this sea that has fed us." is a saying of a Penangite local to save the seawater. And the beaches ...

Although most Penang beaches are clean, most of its sea water is not that transparant blue, even its mirrored surface looks turquoise. A brownish hue can be seen and, visitors with images of beautiful, crystal clear aquamarine blue oceans in mind, ... so sorry!!!

Warning: Watch the jellyfish! Some are huge, and venomous, causes death! Mother Nature has taken care of its creatures ...

• Water Sports