Pulau Redang Off The Beaten Path

SUNSET AT REDANG CAMPSITE & CHALET

by fallendevil Updated Apr 4, 2011

1st stage

BACKPACKERS ROUTE & WALK-IN TO

REDANG CAMPSITE & CHALET ( R.C.S )

Arrival to KLIA

Information :

Transit by bus to ERL Express.

Duration : 38 minutes.

Cost 35.00 MYR

Kuala Lumpur Central

Information :

Transit by STAR train to Plaza Rakyat.

Duration : 8 minutes.

Cost : 1.20 MYR

Arrival at Plaza Rakyat

Walking to hotel / motel / backpackers lodging

Duration : 10 – 15 minutes

Proposal motel : Grocer Inn ( Petaling Street )

Kavana Inn ( Jalan Pudu )

Cost : 30.00-40.00 MYR ( room )

15.00 MYR ( dorm )

Proposal express bus : Konsortium Express Bus

Arrival to Tanjung Bus Station,

Kuala Terengganu

Meeting R.C.S staff at Tanjung Express Station

Contact : R.C.S office 096220063 mobile 0124496540 (A.J )

Walking to R.C.S Office

• sierralyndon's Profile Photo

Jungle-trekking

by sierralyndon Written Sep 10, 2003

Trekking to tropical forests

I recommend a walk through the jungle to make up for days and days of just blobbing on the beach and mucking about in the water.

There is a path that leads from Pasir Panjang to Teluk Dalam on the other side of the island... near where the Berjaya Beach Resort is located.

First of all, we were told that we could wear sandals to go through... but not flip-flops. Five minutes into the walk and we realised "no way". Had to change into good walking shoes (good thing I thought of bringing my trekking boots with me).

The trail is well-marked and takes about 45 minutes to get across. We took more than an hour because we stopped and looked around a bit. Then when you reach the opening on the other side (Teluk Dalam) you still had to walk along the beach, pass some rocks/cliffs (scary!) to get to the Berjaya. The trek was a little more difficult than we expected it to be... because it was really, really humid and dark as well.

However, we saw some creatures along the way, including a mousedeer (kancil) which I was so excited about... I'd only ever heard about them in Malay folklore... don't think I've ever seen them in zoos even. Lots of monkeys... and we made the mistake of hanging around a bunch of them for too long. My husband took a photo of some of them up in the trees (probably about 20 metres above us), the flash went off, they looked down and saw us and one of them bared his teeth, screeched and looked mighty menacing, so we really took off!

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Beaches

• Take a short trek

by shufen Written Dec 11, 2006

For the not-so-adventurous or not-so-outdoorsy types who have gotten sick of hanging by the beach a whole day, take a very short trek from Teluk Kalong beach to Pasir Panjang Beach to check out the activity there.

My friend and I went at night, around 9+, led by one of the local guys. Note 1: they're not really allowed to do this, so don't approach them 'openly' for tours etc round the island. Note 2: If you're taking this short trek at night, go in a big group and bring powerful torches, lots of them, especially if you're afraid of the dark like me :)

Our guide also told us about how when they were young, they wouldn't venture into the virgin forest because of local superstitions, preferring to make the trip via boat. How glad I was that I could only understand very simple Malay at that time.

It wasn't so much of a jungle trek, because some parts of it had become construction sites for a new inland resort, so we spent part of the time trekking through the dark-as-Hades jungle with only light from our guide's handphone and the moon. and part of the time avoiding muddy patches and construction materials.

It was an adventure though, for a city girl like me. How glad were we to finally hit Teluk Kalong and see the lights of our cozy resort :D

• School Holidays
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• boocik04's Profile Photo

Swaying Off to Sleep on the Hammock

by boocik04 Written May 2, 2007

I guess this is one activity that many would think of after all the snorkelling, scuba-diving and swimming. Swaying off to sleep on the hammock with the beautiful beach as the backgroud....

Now, that's a vacation!

• cannae's Profile Photo

best bench of the island...

by cannae Updated Apr 30, 2004
    best bench

well, it's something not so 'off', still something to look forward to... actually, it's not the bench... we were on our journey to the end of the beach where from our hotel Redang Bay, we walked towards the left side till the end, to see some blue 'glow in the dark' jelly at the sea... on the way, this bench struck me to be quite true to the current times... I can say safely that, now, sex is unsafe, and diving is safe...

• Gay and Lesbian

Instant Answers: Pulau Redang

Comments

Pulau Redang Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Pulau Redang off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pulau Redang sightseeing.