Pulau Redang Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    by cal6060
  • Pasir Panjang beach, Redang Island, Malaysia
    Pasir Panjang beach, Redang Island,...
    by kelnsha
    The beach after the morning tide
    by boocik04

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Redang

• kenmerk's Profile Photo

Bad Trigger Fish !!!

by kenmerk Written Jun 17, 2003

Charge   !!!  uh oh,,, RETREAT !!!

Well, seems he wasn't such a good boy after all... I found out later it is nesting time, and the trigger fish (not a particularily friendly fish in any season) are a little on edge...

This one charged me, but a full power blast with my camera strobe, and a couple swats with my fins seemed to take the fight out of him a bit...

• kenmerk's Profile Photo

Maraudering Monkeys...

by kenmerk Updated Jun 17, 2003

Monkey, Monkeys everywhere...

You are likely to encounter more than a few long tailed macaque monkey on Redang, as the island is infested with them...

I was strolling up a jungle path one day, and came upon a tree with a bunch up of them there. They all started grunting, shaking branches, and in general acting in a manner not consistent with civilized society....

Not quite the "Welcome Ken" party I was hoping for...

• eelaine's Profile Photo

underwater currents!!

by eelaine Written Apr 17, 2003

lovely calm waters of redang..

redang has lovely white sandy beaches and clear blue waters.. however, please be very careful as although the water surface may look very calm but there may be underwater currents running beneath.. so, please check with the resort or dive operators on the safe spots to snorkel or swim before going out on your own.. just be careful and you'll enjoy an experience of a lifetime..

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

Snorkelling near the jetty

by victorwkf Written Jul 17, 2005

Jetty next to the visitor's centre at Pulau Redang

Be careful of the boats and ropes when you are snorkelling near the jetty. Always snorkel together with your friends and wear the life jacket so that you can float. Don't be complacent and think that nothing will happen if you are a good swimmer. You also need to be carefully when there are lots of people snorkelling during the peak season.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

4) Throwing of rubbish into the waters
    5) Anchoring
    6) Water Skiing
    7) Water Scooters

There is a very recent addition (Apr 06), banning flippers for snorkellers. The reason: Snorkellers are damaging the corals by resting their flippers on them.

• National/State Park

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Danger of Monkeys

by cal6060 Written Oct 31, 2012

I was hoping to walk into a jungle to cross from Redang Holiday to Laguna Redang. Unfortunately, I saw a gang of monkeys along the road. I was thinking for a while whether it was safe to walk pass them. Then, I asked a guy working in Redang Holiday. He said it is dangerous to walk pass them, as they could attack me. So, I listened his advise not walk pass those fear monkeys. It is also advised not to walk to the jungle alone without a local tour guide because this kind of monkeys can harm anyone in the jungle.

• Adventure Travel
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Worries: Stress to the reefs

by xuessium Written Apr 14, 2006

DeadCorals

Some of the spots which experience high human traffic may have begun to show signs of stress. Dead corals are sighted around the outer fringes around the northern tip of Pulau Pinang where most of the resorts seem to have sent their visiting guests to for snorkelling. It is a very sorry sight.

With past experiences in Pulau Sibu and from tales I heard about Pulau Tioman's corals, I am not too entirely sure if history can be prevented from happening again in Pulau Redang, which has seen an explosion of visiting tourists in recent years.

• National/State Park

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo

Marine Park. Crowded at Peak Hours

by Wild_Orchid Updated Jul 12, 2006

The marine park which is popular with snorklers is very crowded during peak hours. This is because the area is cordoned off by a net and snorklers cannot swim beyond the net. During the Saturday morning that our group was there, there were at least 300 people swimming and snorkelling in and around that small area. You could hardly turn without knocking into someone or being knocked.

Alternative
    Take a Redang round island tour that includes 2-3 snorkelling stops, at about twice the price (or the same price-depending on the boatperson that you negotiate with, and if you book from outside your hotel), and it won't be as crowded.
    If you have more time, you may wish to make a day trip to Perhentian Islands-which are about an hours speedboat ride away. I have not been there myself, but I've heard good reports from VT friends and others about its live corals and the variety of sea creatures.

• sierralyndon's Profile Photo

Eeky creatures

by sierralyndon Updated Sep 12, 2003

Nice lizard in our room... not!!

Redang Island is still very much covered in rainforest. Which means that you should expect to share the space with some, umm, creatures. Like squirrels... that are everywhere! And quite a nuisance as they can be quite bold and obnoxious, trying to get into the restaurants for food, etc. I couldn't believe how some guests actually fed them inappropriate food, thereby encouraging them to hang around even more.

One our first night, I heard a soft thud on the bed as I was falling asleep. I knew something was amiss, so I turned the bedside light on, and there was a small lizard about a foot away from my face... it had fallen from the ceiling.

But what freaked me out most was coming back to our chalet one night and finding a 6 inch stripey gecko in our room (I hate reptiles!!!). There was a slight gap in our door (that we had to seal with whatever we could shove against it to keep creepy crawlies out.

Other than that, monkeys seldom howed themselves. But they ran about on the roof a bit.

• Jungle and Rain Forest

• boocik04's Profile Photo

Dead Corals After the Morning Tide

by boocik04 Updated May 30, 2007

The beach after the morning tide

If you want to watch the sunrise at the beach just be sure you wear shoes. This is because of the many dead corals splayed across the beach at this time of the day.
    It is also not advisable to snorkel at the beach in front of Redang Kalong as you could step on the dead corals while trying to stand up and this could easily hurt your feet...

• dimanche's Profile Photo

dead corals!

by dimanche Updated Aug 4, 2005

dead corals on shore...

on certain parts of the beach there are a lot a lot of dead corals lined up.......and it could cut one's feet pretty bad. when you go further into the water there would be a lot of huge stones that could trip you if one is not careful. i would advise one to wear a pair of sandals, fins, or better, aqua shoes before snorkelling in these parts of the beach.

• School Holidays

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo

Seasickness for first time snorkelers

by Wild_Orchid Updated Jul 13, 2006

I think I'm going to ...aw shucks!

Check out this picture. The guy on the right, with his head out the window was actually chucking out because he was seasick. In fact he was not the only one who got sick.
    Two guys were looking green within ten minutes, and after the first snorkelling stop, a couple more older ladies could be seen chucking up. Later on, about an hour into the trip, two kids about 6 and 10 years old were seen throwing up into plastic bags and they continued to look miserable for the rest of the trip.

What surprised me was at the sheer number of people on that boat that were sick. Some got sick after being tossed around while snorkelling, and others got sick due to the motion of the speedboat. I was rather surprised because to me, the speed boat was large enough, and the waves were very calm that day.

Anyway, if you're in doubt whether you'll be seasick, you might want to bring along some seasickness medication (the non-drowsy type) and plastic bags.

• singaporecherry's Profile Photo

Overload

by singaporecherry Written Sep 14, 2005

Realised that most boat trip are overload. During my trip to Redang, the boat that send us there was so overload that the life jacket is at least short of 15pcs. Thought is an isolated case as they have too many unforseen travellers. However during my trip to Marine Park for snorkeling the same thing happen again. I dare to say the boat is at least 20 people overload. Luckily all of us are at least with life jacket as we are going for snorkeling trip. But you can imagine the stuffiness during the trip. Is so unenjoyable. Same thing happen again during our boat ride back to jetty from redang. I realised it is normal to be overloaded. But one question keeps on nagging at me. They only need 1 incident to wake them up and the price that they are going to pay will be far too high.

• dar76's Profile Photo

Jellyfish and Itchy Planktons!

by dar76 Written Sep 13, 2006
    Snorkeling at Long Beach - Redang Island

Be careful when you get into the water during the jellyfish season (August). Keep your eyes open and try to avoid bumping into them as the sting can get pretty painful or itchy.

Have a box of antihistamine or anti-inflammation handy just in case.

• cucumbre's Profile Photo

Geekos and monkeys

by cucumbre Written Jun 25, 2005
    Uninvited guest

You will spot monkeys and geekos in Redang. Sometimes, you find them near your lodging. We had a visitation from a geeko in our room. Don't be alarm if one appears at your bedside. They are harmless and shy unless provoked.

But beware of monkeys. They may come in groups, make lots of noises and some may be hostile. We met a large group of monkeys outside our room on the last day of our stay.

To conclude, ensure the windows and doors in your room are fully closed.

Instant Answers: Pulau Redang

Comments

Pulau Redang Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Pulau Redang warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pulau Redang sightseeing.