Kampong Poring Things to Do

Flowers at Poring Hot Springs Park

Most Recent Things to Do in Kampong Poring

Other activities in Poring Hot Springs Park

Map of Poring Hot Springs Park

Only the Hot Bathtubs and the Canopy Walk in Poring might not be enough to fill a full day there. But there are more things to see to make your day complete and very interesting:

- Poring also has a Butterfly Far where you can see lots of (endangered) species in their natural environment. Butterflies are breeded here for the sake of research and preservation of the animals.

- There is an Orchid Garden in the area too. The Kinabalu National Park has over 1.000 different Orchid species. Lots of them are to be found in the Poring Orchid Garden. In the neighbouring Tropical Garden you can also see the local mousedeer, some deers and many colourful birds.

• Zoo
    • Spa and Resort

Nice environment

River at Poring

Even before you reach the bath tubs in the Poring Hot Springs Park, the environment you walk through is beautiful already. You will cross a bridge over a wildwater river, you pass enormous bamboo plants and you will see lots of colourful plants and flowers.

The bamboo species of Gigantochloa levis is the kind of bamboo you cross on you way to the hot tubs. These enormous plants are also called Poring Bamboo and are the origin of the name of the area.

Canopy Walk

Canopy Walk at Poring

The second major attraction of the Park is the spectacular Canopy Walk. After a short climb up the hill, you will find the 158 metres long walkway that is built between the treetops of the Menggaris Tree. Between several trees, long drawbridges were attached up to 41 metres above the ground.

If you are afraid of heights you should not even try to cross the Canopy Walk, but even if you normally are not afraid of heights, it still is a very exciting experience. The bridges swing when you cross them, and especially when you look down it will shock you. But if you just look forward there won't be any problem. Thereby, if you want to have a good look around in the environment, you can always do so when you are on one of the platforms between the bridges: there ARE stable. From there you will see what a great environment the walkway is built in: a completely different perspective of the jungle.

• Adventure Travel

Hot Tubs

Poring Hot Springs

Of course Poring is mostly famous for its Hot Springs. From natural wells, hot water comes to the surface here. It is said that this water, with a lot of sulfur, has healing power and makes your skin look younger. This is why it has been very popular for several decades already. At some points the water is that hot that you can boil an egg in the water.

During the Second World War, the Japanese first build a network of baths in the open air with different temperatures to relax in the hot jungle. Later it became more popular and local and international tourists were attracted by the Springs. Nowadays there are both indoor and outdoor tubs: the outdoor baths are free to use, for the indoor tubs you have to pay.

• Spa and Resort

• sim1's Profile Photo

Climbing up the stairs....

Climbing up the stairs

The bad news about going to the hanging bridge is that it is HIGH up in the tree tops. So this means you have to climb up yourself a lot before getting there. You have to climb this steep set of stairs to get there. And in this tropical heat that is not the easiest thing to do. Would it be worth it? Would I dare to walk on the Canopy Walkway?......

Banana flower

Banana flower

While walking the trail to the hot springs of course I got distracted by everything I saw around me. This banana flower for instance. I know bananas, but this was the first time I ever saw a banana plant flower! I thought it was rather beautiful. It is so enjoyable to walk around in a totally new place with so many different things to see.

But lets focus now, the plan for today is first of all visit the hanging bridge. The bridge makes you able to walk in the treetops. Wow! The hanging bridge was constructed here to help with scientific research of the rain forest. This gave the researcher the unique opportunity to study the life high above in the treetops. But since a few years the hanging bridge is now also open for the tourists. And this gives the unique opportunity to see the rain forest from a totally different perspective.... from high above in the trees!

Huge Bamboo

Huge Bamboo at Poring Hot Spring

When you enter the Poring Hot Springs area, the first thing you'll notice are these huge bamboo plants. You can see in the picture how tiny I am compared to those bamboos. I thought they were so impressive.

If I remember correctly it is these bamboo plants that have given this place its name. In Malay 'bamboo' is 'poring'. Please tell me if I am wrong or right about that! Hahaha, I was too busy looking at everything around me to remember correctly what our guide was talking about ;-))

Poring Hot Spring

Poring Hot Spring

After having had a wonderful morning in Kundasang, we are now on our way to Poring Hot Spring. Poring Hot Spring is most known for its open-air Japanese-style baths. It attracts quite a few people and can be very busy at times. It also is a bit of a tourist trap. Hahaha, in my opinion anyway. But despite it being a bit of a tourist trap, I had a great day anyway :-)

There is more to see and do here than only the hot springs. For me the highlight was the hanging bridge, so that is what most of this page will be about. But I'll also give a general impression of the place and tell you about all the things you can see and do here. I'll hope you enjoy reading my personal story about my visit to Poring Hot Spring.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Where is Poring Hot Spring?

Map of Sabah

Poring Hot Springs is part of the Mount Kinabalu Park. The Park headquarters is situated at the southern boundary of the Park. The park is easy to reach, it is about 110 kilometres from the capital of Sabah: Kota Kinabalu.

To get to Poring Hot Springs, follow this road for a further 24 kilometres until you get to the small town of Ranau. From there is is another 19 kilometres northwards and you'll get to Poring Hot Springs.

The trip continues....

Dusty road toward Sukau

My visit to Poring Hot Springs has come to an end, but my Borneo adventures continue!

The previous leg of my journey was a visit to Kundasang, with its lively local market, its war memorial and wonderful views over Mount Kinabalu.

Tomorrow we will be on our way to our next destination. It will be a travel day, but still with quite a few things to see while we travel. I'll be walking on another hanging bridge, visit a huge cave and learn all about the palm oil plantations. You can read all about that in my next chapter on my Sandakan page.

I hope you will join me on this virtual trip and enjoy reading my travel stories and see the pictures. For me it has been fantastic to write about my journey because it has made me relive the trip once again :-)

Fresh fruit

Market in Ranau

The market at Ranau was small but colourful and a great place to buy some fruity snacks. So we walked around a bit and bought some bananas, pineapple and grapes. Yummy! In a hot climate like this nothing seems to taste better than some fresh fruit! :-)

The day has come to an end. And even if Poring Hot Springs was too touristy, I have to admit I still had a great day.

Market in Ranau

Our driver showed up, and we were all ready to go. We were feeling warm and sweaty of walking around all day, first at Kundasang and now at Poring Hot Spring, that we all were more than ready to leave. But the nice cool air of the air-conditioning in the bus made us feel better in a matter of minutes.

So instead of driving directly back to our lodge in Mount Kinabalu, we made a quick stop at Ranau. We visited the small market here and did shop shopping for batteries, film etc. Ranau is quite a big place, so a good place to stop if you need to buy something.

Orchid

Orchid

Sabah is a great place to see orchids. I saw so many different varieties at Mount Kinabalu Park, it was overwhelming. But even here in Poring Hot Springs they were growing all over the place. I just loved this beautiful pink one. If you want to see more pictures of orchids, please take a look at my Mount Kinabalu page. I have a whole selection of orchid pictures there.

Dragonfly

Dragonfly

The dragonfly is a more usual insect for me, but this was a beautiful one. And as it posed so nicely for me, I couldn't resist taken a photo of it. There were quite a few of them flying around at Poring Hot Springs, quite big ones as well.

Where is the butterfly??

Where is the butterfly??

There were several big butterflies flying around us, and they were beautiful. They are attracted by the sulphur in the water around here, making it easy to see quite a few of them flying around.

That inspired Åke to go on a butterfly hunt. And this amazing picture was the result of his 'job'. Hahaha, my 'lawyer' taps me on the shoulder right now and advices me to have 'no further comment'. Hahaha, as I might get into trouble at home if I do, LOL. So take a look at the 'moving' picture yourself to see the result :-)))

Instant Answers: Kampong Poring

Comments

Kampong Poring Travel Guide

Kampong Poring Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kampong Poring things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kampong Poring sightseeing.

View all Kampong Poring hotels