Kota Kinabalu Restaurants

Little Italy Restaurant, KK
    by cal6060
    The small but bright sign board
    by DaHongHua
    some of the ingredients
    by DaHongHua

Most Recent Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu

Brass Monkey bar and restaurant: Worth a trip from town

by Gyppo Written Feb 8, 2015

Brass Monkey is a small bar in the Lintas area of KK. It usually only has a couple of choices of bottled beer (which a large group will get through), but has a range of wines and spirits which rival anywhere else. The food is OK western fare, but nothing special. However the decor is pretty entertaining - lots and lots of monkey themed art and caricatures. Raj, the owner, and his staff are very friendly and will often stop for a chat if they can.

Favorite Dish: Deep fried ice cream is pretty special.

Selim: Roti in the suburbs

by Gyppo Written Jan 25, 2015

Selim is a bit of a KK institution. It's a 24 hour roti place (also known as a Mamak) which people visit after their night out in order to carry on conversation. It's also a restaurant for people who haven't been out until the small hours.

The food is fairly standard - Indian breads, rice, noodles and curries, with a nasi campur station. Only vegetarian option is dhal, sadly. A vegan friend asked for and received fried rice without egg, so they can be a bit flexible.

Staff are very nice, though only one spoke English on my last visit.

The ambience is much the same as many of these small restaurants - nothing to make you stay or make you leave.

Favorite Dish: Selim's roti chef is very good at roti tisu, which is a tall, sweet, hollow cone of very thin roti. He manages to make them more than 2 ft tall... Good for sharing.

Exterior, Selim, KK

Beyond Veggie: Better than its parent

by Gyppo Written Jan 23, 2015

Beyond Veggie is a chain of vegetarian restaurants with outlets across peninsular malaysia and Singapore.

I admit to putting off a visit to Beyond Veggie, as I don't really rate their parent company, Secret Recipe. The vegetarian options there aren't very good, so I was worried that might be replicated. Was I right to worry?

The restaurant is located in Suria Sabah, the 'posh' mall. It's quite nice inside, better than Secret Recipe normally is, with a green theme. The tables have a rattan-style print, and one wall is made to look rainforest like.

The staff were very friendly, but I think some of what I said was lost in translation. I wanted to try their assam bean curd slices (looked like mock fish) and asked the waitress to recommend which style was best, given that I don't like okra. That should have ruled out the curd with assorted beans and eggplant. She said I should try the assam petai sambal, so I ordered that, along with a fried egg side dish.

When the food arrived, it was the dish I'd ruled out, and instead of being a side dish, the egg had been stirred into the sauce...

Now it looked very good, so I didn't send it back (and I love egg drop sauces, so that wasn't a problem).

It was excellent, to be fair, once I'd removed the soft, slimy okra and green beans. However, I don't feel I can give BV the full marks for dining experience, as it wasn't what I asked for. I will go back, though, so it might get the higher mark later.

Favorite Dish: My bastardised egg drop assam bean curd with pineapple and tomato was really very nice, and probably the best mock fish dish I've ever had.

Exterior, BV, KK Interior, BV, KK Food, BV, KK

Curry8Kari: Another banana leaf place in KK

by Gyppo Updated Jan 21, 2015

Curry8Kari seems from the outside to be a bit different from the other banana leaf restaurants in KK. They tend to feel a bit more like work/school canteens; this feels more upmarket.

C8K offers a nasi campur as well as the banana leaf sets, plus various breads with curry. I had the veggie set, which came with rice, 3 sides, poppadums and 2 curries, for RM8.

It was all pretty good, if not outstanding, with one exception: the spinach and long bean curry.

The Malaysian staff don't speak English, but the Indian man who does front of house does. All very friendly.

Favorite Dish: The spinach and long bean curry is very good - provided you like very smooth blends. I do, but some might dislike the lack of texture.

Exterior, Curry8Kari, KK Food, C8K, KK Card, C8K, KK

Sri Latha curry house: Renowned banana leaf in KK

by Gyppo Written Jan 20, 2015

A couple of people had recommended Sri Latha to me, but each time I went it was full. I finally managed to get a seat, and it was ok...

It's a fairly standard banana leaf restaurant at lunch time. The vegetarian set lunch was substantial with 4 veg sides, 2 chutneys, mini poppadums, dhal, rice and rasam, for RM5.50. The sides were good apart from the bitter gourd, which really lived up to its name - the most bitter thing I can remember tasting.

The restaurant itself seems geared to quick throughput.

Favorite Dish: The rasam was very well spiced.

Food, Sri Latha, KK Exterior, Sri Latha, KK

Chilli Vanilla: Hungarian food in KK

by Gyppo Updated Jan 20, 2015

Chilli Vanilla is a small (maybe 24 seats) restaurant owned by a Hungarian lady. This shows up in the menu, with lots of paprika featuring, and a signature Goulash. There are several meat and fish dishes, plus salads and wraps. It's an attractive place, with friendly staff, and pretty good customer service. I haven't tried any of the wine list, because I usually have their Chilli Vanilla cocktail.

The owners have opened another restaurant near Wisma Prudential in Lintas.

Closed on Sundays.

Favorite Dish: The truffle mash is superb.

Interior, Chilli Vanilla, KK Food, Chilli Vanilla, KK Goulash, Chilli Vanilla, KK Exterior, Chilli Vanilla, KK

El Centro: Mexican and more in KK

by Gyppo Updated Jan 20, 2015

El Centro is sort of a Mexican restaurant, in that it has tacos and other Mexican style food, but they also do a wide range of burgers, salads, wraps and sandwiches, plus pizzas and pasta. The cocktails are very good, the beers are quite cheap, and the fresh fruit juices are really tasty.

They do a variety of theme nights including a pub quiz and bead-making, neither of which I've enjoyed yet.

Closed on Mondays.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast tacos are very good, mainly due to the excellent salsa. Veggie burger is interestingly spiced, and the veggie filo wrap is served with a nice bit of mashed potato. The calamansi juice is brilliant; sugar syrup is available if you're not like me and don't like sour/sharp stuff.

El Centro bar, KK

Usagi Vegetarian Japanese Restaurant: Karamunsing Vegetarian Japanese

by Gyppo Written Jan 19, 2015

Karamunsing mall is the electronics and white goods mall in KK. If you need to take a break from buying such (probably kosher) goods, then Usagi is a vegetarian Japanese buffet restaurant on the ground floor. The restaurant is quite attractive. Food is OK - buffet of rice, noodles and various vegetarian main dishes. These include a couple of mock meat options. The cost including iced green tea is RM9.90. I wouldn't go out of my way to go here again, but I'd use it if I were nearby.

Favorite Dish: Sweet and sour mock chicken was quite nice. I wouldn't have the fermented tofu again, though (or as a friend calls it, stinky tofu).

Usagi, KK Interior, Usagi, KK Food, Usagi, KK

Liew Chai Vegetarian/Wan Chai Food Corner: Veggie option at KK food court

by Gyppo Written Jan 19, 2015

Roughly in the middle of the Centrepoint mall food court (in the basement), this is a nasi campur style place with lots of different vegetarian dishes to add your plate of rice. A big plate of food works out at about 6RM and there's a lot of variety provided you turn up early enough. They stop serving food at 6, but many of their dishes are sold out by 3pm. The surroundings are food court so you won't want to hang around too long..

Favorite Dish: Mock duck in lemon sauce is very good - sweet, sharp and spicy.

Liew or Wan Chai, KK The food, Liew/Wan Chai vegetarian, KK

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo

AH HUAT Fish Ball and Fish Noodle: Outside Lido Square in Koon Aun Coffee Shop

by DaHongHua Written Sep 22, 2014

One must eat the fish ball and fish noodle and the famous Tuaran Mee if come to Kota Kinabalu beside seafood.
    We visited a friend, a former primary schoolmate of my cousin sister, Ah Huat to enjoy a table of free lunch served by the owner. He is married to a Kadazan lady who also help him to manage the business.
    The Ah Huat Homemade Fish Ball noodle corner is inside a coffee shop outside Lido Market in Penampang. We enjoy eating the Kuey Teow Soup with fish balls which is very mount- watering. Just because Ah Huat wanted to buy us a lunch after some 30 years not meeting his neighbour, we were not too greedy, so miss to taste all type of noodle.

The small but bright sign board some of the ingredients the self made mouth-watering fish balls Ah Huat and son, his wife, my cousin sister we missed the famous fish noodle ( in front )

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Kedai Kopi Yuan Li: Famous Fish Noodle in KK

by cal6060 Written Sep 30, 2013

Sabah is very famous for its seafood. This coffee shop owner has a way to use the fish paste to make noodles. It was my first time having noodle made out of fish paste. It tastes good when it cooks with the seafood soup with some vegetable and fried tofu. This restaurant is famous among the locals, and the coffee shop can get crowded during weekends.

You can also order a bowl of fish paste noodle with curry. oh! yummy

It is located in downtown on Jalan Pantai, walking distance from Gaya Street Market.

Kedai Kopi Yuan Li, KK Kedai Kopi Yuan Li, KK

• cal6060's Profile Photo

Little Italy: The Best Italian Food in Town

by cal6060 Updated Sep 29, 2013

Little Italy is one of the well known Italian restaurants in KK. It is strategically located in the center of downtown KK, right opposite Wisma Merdeka and a short walk from Suria Sabah. It is on the ground floor of the Hotel Capital. I know this restaurant through a local food program, Axian, and learnt that it is owned and managed by a real Italian family, the Ceresa's. The Ceresa's is from Torino, Northwest Italy. They use their traditional home-made recipe to cook authentic Italian cuisines to the local Sabahans and tourists. And the locals love it and the restaurants are often crowded with customers mostly locals and some tourists. I called up my friends to meet up for a lunch in this restaurant. We ordered several dishes including Puccia al Salmon, Zuppa di Mare, and Spaghetti al Nero di Seppia. They all tasted delicious ! It is quite nice to taste authentic Italian cooking in this part of the World with great prices.

Don't miss!

Puccia al Salmon, Little Italy Little Italy Restaurant, KK Spaghetti al Nero di Seppia, Little Italy Little Italy Restaurant, KK Little Italy Restaurant, KK

• LukasL's Profile Photo

Peacock Garden: A dinning experience

by LukasL Written Aug 11, 2013

Angling at contemporary Far East practice of design, hypnotic rhythms and sounds as well as atmosphere and cuisine, Peacock Garden (previously Buddha Bar) is the latest addition to Kota Kinabalu’s nightlife. The geniuses behind the establishment are doing everything right; Peacock Garden is designed to pleasure the senses of the wild and refined.

On the Kitchen side the selection of Asian dishes is surrounded by 15 foreign specialties offering an imaginary culinary voyage around the world from Moroccan Couscous to Spanish Paella and the famous French Bouillabaisse fish soup.
    On the garden side a wooden flaming grill will satisfy the most exigent of us. The price range from RM28 to RM68 per person including drinks.

Very soon Peacock Garden will establish itself as a state-of-the-art nightspot that expresses itself with the four core elements that make for an elite joint; cuisine, design, entertainment and atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: For only RM 26 the Moroccan couscous is my favorite

outdoor dinning area

• Daihappydai's Profile Photo

Little Italy Restaurant: Sensational Italian delights in Kota Kinabalu

by Daihappydai Updated Jun 17, 2013

On our last night in Kota Kinabalu we decided to treat ourselves a little and went off to the Little Italy Restaurant adjacent to Hotel Capital. We were lucky enough to get an outside table and then our taste buds were in for a treat.
    The freshly made lemonade was sensational, the selection of warm breads that came with our meals were incredible, and the vegetarian canneloni was some of the best I've ever tasted.
    We felt gluttonous as we finished our meals with rich, chocolate deserts.
    While more expensive than any of the other meals we had while in Kota Kinabalu, it was a great place to end our time in this beautiful, friendly city.

Favorite Dish: All the dishes were excellent!

Fresh breads at Little Italy Restaurant Freshly made lemonade at Little Italy Restaurant

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Kampung Nelayan - Floating Seafood Restaurant: Seafood with Entertainment

by Mikebb Updated Feb 23, 2013

Our last night in Kota Kinabalu and our group of 18 enjoyed an evening at the Floating Seafood Market.

The tour company picked us up at the Hyatt Hotel and 20 minutes later we were in the open air restaurant, people everywhere and luckily our tables were reserved. Seafood platters soon arrived including soup, prawns, fish etc etc. A large beer was included in the deal, all covered in our 4 day tour.

Entertainment was colourful, however we were at least 80 metres from the stage, round tables did not help the 50% of people with their back to the stage. With this sort of Farewell Dinner I never expect much and therefore not disappointed. Company was good and I looked upon it as a free night out with door to door transport provided.

Entrance To Theatre Restaurant Nean Sign Bamboo Dance Theatre Seafood Tank Bamboo Dance Theatre
    • Seniors
    • Music

Instant Answers: Kota Kinabalu

Comments

Kota Kinabalu Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Kota Kinabalu restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kota Kinabalu sightseeing.

View all Kota Kinabalu hotels