Kota Kinabalu Warnings and Dangers

• ALWAYS CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH BOTTLED WATER
    ALWAYS CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH BOTTLED...
    GREAT SNORKELLING AND DIVING HERE
    LOVELY CLEAR BLUE WATER

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Kota Kinabalu

• DennyP's Profile Photo

ALWAYS CARRY PLENTY OF FRESH WATER

by DennyP Updated Feb 2, 2012

ALWAYS CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH BOTTLED WATER

When travelling here make sure that you ALWAYS have plenty of fresh bottled water as the water quality here is not good..DO NOT drink the tap water...also make sure that you check the caps when purchasing water to make sure that the seals on the caps have not been broken and that they are not "refills"..I purchase my water at the supermarket and keep in Hostel refigerator till needed..

• Beaches

• ajackaln's Profile Photo

Camping is not possible on the islands

by ajackaln Written Oct 27, 2010

It`s not danger but something important that you should know ! If you like camping I have some bad news for you , you can not camp on the islands of Kota Kinabalu! it`s NOT against the law or anything , it`s just not possible due to humidity ! Me and my friend wanted to do it but as soon as we got in to our tent we realized it was like hell and there was no way we could survive ! Just don`t check out of your hotel before coming to the Islands with the illusion of possibility of camping on your mind .

• Singles
    • Adventure Travel

• ajackaln's Profile Photo

The Filipino village near Jetty

by ajackaln Written Oct 27, 2010

There`s a Filipino village near the Jetty ( you can see it from the jetty of Kota Kinabalu ) which is an on water kind of village. People of that village are Muslim Filipinos who were not wanted by the Philippine government and yet were not accepted by the Sabah either so they were kind of pushed to live there ! Most of their women wear Burka , do not stare at them or even think about taking pictures of them , this will make their men furious. DO NOT get close to that village either ,I read that tourists and intruders were attacked .

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Women's Travel

• DennyP's Profile Photo

BE CAREFUL OF THE SUN HERE

by DennyP Written Sep 14, 2010

GREAT SNORKELLING AND DIVING HERE

When visiting these lovely islands and beaches...BE CAREFUL of the extreme sunshine and reflection off the water as the sunburn here is fast....carry and use a good sunscreen...also have your sunglasses and a good hat for protection..

• Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• balhannah's Profile Photo

Bag snatching

by balhannah Updated Oct 13, 2008

Ladies, watch your bag! I was in Shoe shop in KK, and had my bag on the seat not far from me as I was trying on shoes, when the Shopowner noticed a man taking more than a interest in it. He ordered the man out of the shop, and told me he was about to grab it, so be careful where ever you are.

• travelpug's Profile Photo

Children Beggars!

by travelpug Written Nov 3, 2007

To my surprise, when I was at the market area, there are some poor kids came to ask for money. I didn't give them any because I didn't want to encourage them. I thought thing like this only happens in India... but in Malaysia?!

• mccrorj's Profile Photo

Snorkeling

by mccrorj Written Jun 2, 2007

A warning for all of those europeans visiting at the end of our winter. I can't say that the sun is baking hot all ofthe time which poses it's own threat. We went to the local islands for a little snorkelling and lost all track of time. My wife and I thought we had taken the necessary precautions but clearly we hadn't. 3omins exposure to the sun while in the water left us with severe sunburns for the rest of the week. Please take care.

• mccrorj's Profile Photo

European skin and the sun

by mccrorj Written May 30, 2007
    Lobster anyone

Please, please remember that this is a tropical paradise and if you go snorkelling for a couple of hours after only a couple of days on the island you will do serious damage to your back. My wife and I learned the hard way and spent the next three weeks scratching as a result.

Safety at Night around Upperstar

by syetan Written May 17, 2007

Upperstar, Cocoon and Shenanigans are located right next to each other and teh place is usually quite busy at night and hence rather safe. However, the main area where the cars are parked is very dark and can be dangerous. Groups of homeless children, some high on drugs have been trained to beg for money and can get quite aggressive. Women have also been known to be harassed.

• rajanurulain's Profile Photo

dont walk alone

by rajanurulain Updated Mar 15, 2007

its very dangerous to walk alone at night,expecially female traveller.beware of pickpockets n its advisable to put your wallet n passport somewhere save.just put some money in ur wallet n the rest,somewhere hidden in ur bag.never put important document in ur wallet.there're sooooo many pickpockets.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• kanskje's Profile Photo

Remember ID!

by kanskje Written Feb 10, 2007

When we were in Kota Kinabalu and took the local bus, some police officers entered. They checked the ID of all the passengers in the bus, probably looking for illegal immigrants.

I was not asked for ID (i'm white), but my Singaporean friend was. She had no ID with her, but luckily she was left off with a warning. (Probably since she was with me).

Hence remember to have some ID with you, especially if you're traveling with locals.

Safety on the Journey to the Islands off KK

by syetan Written Jan 20, 2007

You should be given a lifejacket to wear on the journey but travelling safety is something Malaysians in general are a bit lackadaisical about. If you aren't given one, just grab one of the jackets lying around, or ask for one. There are on the boat though not all are functioning 100%.

Swimming safely at the Islands

by syetan Written Jan 20, 2007

People do drown at the deceptively calm waters off the 5 National Park islands overlooking KK. I find the lifeguards poorly trained and they do not have the best equipment either. Let's say they are a very poor version of the Australian lifeguards and those Baywatch guards. They aren't exactly too serious either. 2 hours after witnessing a drowning I saw one at the lifeguard hut not looking at swimmers but sending messages on his mobile phone.

I really couln't care less how good a swimmer you are. If going snorkelling do rent a lifejacket as well. I read somewhere that swimmers are more likely to drown compared to non-swimmers (who really take care). I saw one incident and I rather wish I didn't.

• KookieDough's Profile Photo

Be ready with Ringgit in your pocket

by KookieDough Written Jan 17, 2007

No, this is not about pickpocketing. I'm just saying that if you will be travelling to KK soon, please be sure to have Malaysian Ringgit in your pocket already before boarding the plane – at least enough to take you to your hotel.

My husband and I arrived at the KK airport’s Terminal 2, which was still under construction (and I believe it will still be for some more weeks or months). As in our other trips, we were used to just carrying US dollars and have them changed to whatever the local currency is. To our surprise, there wasn’t any currency exchange counter in this particular airport terminal yet. Also, we got out of the airport past 7pm, so the banks were closed and it was already hard to find an open foreign exchange stall.

Good thing that the taxi service in the airport was kind enough to ask the driver to drive us to the hotel, even if we don’t have Malaysian Ringgit on hand yet, and we will just have our dollars changed in the hotel.

• BerntTravel's Profile Photo

No warning.

by BerntTravel Updated Oct 22, 2006

This was our 3rd. trip to Malaysia. We walk all our and have never feel danger.
    My opinion: Show normal carefully and don’t think you are better than anyone else.
    Do this, and you will have an unforgettable vacation.

Instant Answers: Kota Kinabalu

Comments

Kota Kinabalu Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kota Kinabalu warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kota Kinabalu sightseeing.

View all Kota Kinabalu hotels