Kota Kinabalu Warnings and Dangers

• ALWAYS CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH BOTTLED WATER
    ALWAYS CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH BOTTLED...
    GREAT SNORKELLING AND DIVING HERE
    LOVELY CLEAR BLUE WATER

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Kota Kinabalu

• JamesWtc's Profile Photo

2 airports

by JamesWtc Written Apr 1, 2004

There are 2 airport in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah International Airport and Tanjung Aru airport.

If you travel by Air Asia, ensure you check in in Terminal 2 located in Tanjung Aru, else you need to spend another amount of taxi fee to get there.

Tell your taxi driver before you go.

• wkm's Profile Photo

Taxi

by wkm Updated Jul 1, 2005

Although most taxi are equipped with meters, drives are unwillingly to turn them on. So before getting on taxi, always ASK THE PRICE FIRST. With city centre(5-6 kilometres), it costs around RM6-RM10. Also, they charge more if you travel to or from Airport.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

Bag snatching

by balhannah Updated Oct 13, 2008

Ladies, watch your bag! I was in Shoe shop in KK, and had my bag on the seat not far from me as I was trying on shoes, when the Shopowner noticed a man taking more than a interest in it. He ordered the man out of the shop, and told me he was about to grab it, so be careful where ever you are.

• tangymp's Profile Photo

Camera Fee

by tangymp Updated Nov 24, 2003

Many tourist attractions impose a camera fee for photo shooting of around RM10 EACH camera and video shooting fee of around RM50 EACH video camera. Flash for night shooting may be forbidden. If you are not really confident with your photography skills, buying post cards from visitors centres may be a better alternative

• perseushermes's Profile Photo

Don't leave the Rope ~ Climbing Mount Kinabalu

by perseushermes Updated Aug 23, 2006

Climbing Mount Kinabalu may be exciting BUT at 3am (starting the last leg of the climb) you have to be careful. It is most important to hold on to the rope as your guide to the top (of course you have a compulsory guide in your group).

There have been people who lost their way to the mountain peak in the past...........some never to be seen again, let alone found.

The Rope
    • Eco-Tourism
    • National/State Park

• KookieDough's Profile Photo

Be ready with Ringgit in your pocket

by KookieDough Written Jan 17, 2007

No, this is not about pickpocketing. I'm just saying that if you will be travelling to KK soon, please be sure to have Malaysian Ringgit in your pocket already before boarding the plane – at least enough to take you to your hotel.

My husband and I arrived at the KK airport’s Terminal 2, which was still under construction (and I believe it will still be for some more weeks or months). As in our other trips, we were used to just carrying US dollars and have them changed to whatever the local currency is. To our surprise, there wasn’t any currency exchange counter in this particular airport terminal yet. Also, we got out of the airport past 7pm, so the banks were closed and it was already hard to find an open foreign exchange stall.

Good thing that the taxi service in the airport was kind enough to ask the driver to drive us to the hotel, even if we don’t have Malaysian Ringgit on hand yet, and we will just have our dollars changed in the hotel.

• kanskje's Profile Photo

Remember ID!

by kanskje Written Feb 10, 2007

When we were in Kota Kinabalu and took the local bus, some police officers entered. They checked the ID of all the passengers in the bus, probably looking for illegal immigrants.

I was not asked for ID (i'm white), but my Singaporean friend was. She had no ID with her, but luckily she was left off with a warning. (Probably since she was with me).

Hence remember to have some ID with you, especially if you're traveling with locals.

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo

Fish Attack!

by Wild_Orchid Updated Mar 1, 2005

This tip is not to be taken too seriously, although it really did happen

When at Gayana Island, be aware of biting fish when you have a swim at the nature pool.

My friends were already in the pool, and they told me to be careful because the fish in the pool would bite me. Of course, the idea seemed so ridiculous that I didn't believe it for a single minute, and I just laughed it off. I stepped into the water and suddenly I could feel tiny bites and sharp teeth on my thighs. I jumped and yelped - I was being attacked! I quickly swam & moved away and the "attacks" stopped.

Actually, later on I got brave enough to check it out. I donned a pair of goggles to look for out the "killer fish". When I saw them, I had to laugh out loud, because there were no fish with giant teeth, not even medium sized ones. Actually, they were only anchovy-sized (ikan bilis tiny) fish swimming in packs, but trust me, they were aggresive and even nibbled on my neck and face. These fish generally hang around on the left of the pool as you enter it. Go there and experience it for yourself !

Click here for more details on Gayana Resort.

nature pool at Gayana

• DennyP's Profile Photo

ALWAYS CARRY PLENTY OF FRESH WATER

by DennyP Updated Feb 2, 2012

When travelling here make sure that you ALWAYS have plenty of fresh bottled water as the water quality here is not good..DO NOT drink the tap water...also make sure that you check the caps when purchasing water to make sure that the seals on the caps have not been broken and that they are not "refills"..I purchase my water at the supermarket and keep in Hostel refigerator till needed..

ALWAYS CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH BOTTLED WATER

• DennyP's Profile Photo

BE CAREFUL OF THE SUN HERE

by DennyP Written Sep 14, 2010

When visiting these lovely islands and beaches...BE CAREFUL of the extreme sunshine and reflection off the water as the sunburn here is fast....carry and use a good sunscreen...also have your sunglasses and a good hat for protection..

GREAT SNORKELLING AND DIVING HERE BEACH SCENE  MARINE NATIONAL PARK SABAH GREAT PLACE TO LOVELY CLEAR BLUE WATER GREAT BEACHES TO RELAX..
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• yuet29's Profile Photo

Poring Hotspring- snake...

by yuet29 Written Jan 17, 2005

If you trek inside the jungle using the trails in Poring Hotspring, dont pull/ shake/ crawl up the trees as we were told that snakes might fall down from the trees..

Two caucasians we met tole us that they saw a cobra and reported to the office. The cobra is shown in the picture because 10 of us happily follow those people to catch the snake..

cobra

• travelpug's Profile Photo

Children Beggars!

by travelpug Written Nov 3, 2007

To my surprise, when I was at the market area, there are some poor kids came to ask for money. I didn't give them any because I didn't want to encourage them. I thought thing like this only happens in India... but in Malaysia?!

• rajanurulain's Profile Photo

dont walk alone

by rajanurulain Updated Mar 15, 2007

its very dangerous to walk alone at night,expecially female traveller.beware of pickpockets n its advisable to put your wallet n passport somewhere save.just put some money in ur wallet n the rest,somewhere hidden in ur bag.never put important document in ur wallet.there're sooooo many pickpockets.

• Women's Travel
    • Singles

• Pieter11's Profile Photo

Sabah Electricity

by Pieter11 Written Jun 3, 2006

In Sabah it is very normal for the electricity to fall out once in a while. It's very likely that in a stay of two weeks you will experience it at least once. I has the great score of 2 electricity- and one water-fall out in two weeks time :D

* Take a good look a the picture. Even the neon-letters of the Sabah Electricity building don't work all... *

Sabah Electricity

• syetan's Profile Photo

Safety on the Journey to the Islands off KK

by syetan Written Jan 20, 2007

You should be given a lifejacket to wear on the journey but travelling safety is something Malaysians in general are a bit lackadaisical about. If you aren't given one, just grab one of the jackets lying around, or ask for one. There are on the boat though not all are functioning 100%.

Instant Answers: Kota Kinabalu

Comments

Kota Kinabalu Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kota Kinabalu warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kota Kinabalu sightseeing.

View all Kota Kinabalu hotels