Kota Kinabalu Warnings and Dangers

• ALWAYS CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH BOTTLED WATER
    ALWAYS CARRY SUFFICIENT FRESH BOTTLED...
    GREAT SNORKELLING AND DIVING HERE
    LOVELY CLEAR BLUE WATER

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Kota Kinabalu

• syetan's Profile Photo

Safety at Night around Upperstar

by syetan Written May 17, 2007

Upperstar, Cocoon and Shenanigans are located right next to each other and teh place is usually quite busy at night and hence rather safe. However, the main area where the cars are parked is very dark and can be dangerous. Groups of homeless children, some high on drugs have been trained to beg for money and can get quite aggressive. Women have also been known to be harassed.

• ajackaln's Profile Photo

The Filipino village near Jetty

by ajackaln Written Oct 27, 2010

There`s a Filipino village near the Jetty ( you can see it from the jetty of Kota Kinabalu ) which is an on water kind of village. People of that village are Muslim Filipinos who were not wanted by the Philippine government and yet were not accepted by the Sabah either so they were kind of pushed to live there ! Most of their women wear Burka , do not stare at them or even think about taking pictures of them , this will make their men furious. DO NOT get close to that village either ,I read that tourists and intruders were attacked .

• Women's Travel
    • Gay and Lesbian

• ajackaln's Profile Photo

Camping is not possible on the islands

by ajackaln Written Oct 27, 2010

It`s not danger but something important that you should know ! If you like camping I have some bad news for you , you can not camp on the islands of Kota Kinabalu! it`s NOT against the law or anything , it`s just not possible due to humidity ! Me and my friend wanted to do it but as soon as we got in to our tent we realized it was like hell and there was no way we could survive ! Just don`t check out of your hotel before coming to the Islands with the illusion of possibility of camping on your mind .

• Singles
    • Adventure Travel

• BerntTravel's Profile Photo

No warning.

by BerntTravel Updated Oct 22, 2006

This was our 3rd. trip to Malaysia. We walk all our and have never feel danger.
    My opinion: Show normal carefully and don’t think you are better than anyone else.
    Do this, and you will have an unforgettable vacation.

• syetan's Profile Photo

Swimming safely at the Islands

by syetan Written Jan 20, 2007

People do drown at the deceptively calm waters off the 5 National Park islands overlooking KK. I find the lifeguards poorly trained and they do not have the best equipment either. Let's say they are a very poor version of the Australian lifeguards and those Baywatch guards. They aren't exactly too serious either. 2 hours after witnessing a drowning I saw one at the lifeguard hut not looking at swimmers but sending messages on his mobile phone.

I really couln't care less how good a swimmer you are. If going snorkelling do rent a lifejacket as well. I read somewhere that swimmers are more likely to drown compared to non-swimmers (who really take care). I saw one incident and I rather wish I didn't.

• mccrorj's Profile Photo

European skin and the sun

by mccrorj Written May 30, 2007
    Lobster anyone

Please, please remember that this is a tropical paradise and if you go snorkelling for a couple of hours after only a couple of days on the island you will do serious damage to your back. My wife and I learned the hard way and spent the next three weeks scratching as a result.

• mccrorj's Profile Photo

Snorkeling

by mccrorj Written Jun 2, 2007

A warning for all of those europeans visiting at the end of our winter. I can't say that the sun is baking hot all ofthe time which poses it's own threat. We went to the local islands for a little snorkelling and lost all track of time. My wife and I thought we had taken the necessary precautions but clearly we hadn't. 3omins exposure to the sun while in the water left us with severe sunburns for the rest of the week. Please take care.

• wkm's Profile Photo

Mountain Kinabalu

by wkm Written Jul 1, 2005

If you plan to ascend the summit, please follow the white big rope which is tied to the ground and yours guide. There was an tragic incident which a girl got lost and ......... Generally, it's very safe for everyone up there.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

CARRY AND USE RELIABLE MOSQUITO REPELLANT

by DennyP Written Sep 14, 2010

A GOOD INSECT AND MOSQUITO RELLANT IS A MUST

Ialways carry and use a good reliable Insect and Mosquito Repellant while travelling here in the tropics...Dengue Fever and malaria are prevelant here and it is a MUST to use everyday..

• Photography

• vincentf's Profile Photo

Canopy Walkway - Audio Video fees

by vincentf Updated Jun 10, 2003

There is a camera fee of RM5 and a video camera of RM30 used when entering the canopy walkway section at Poring Hot Springs.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• vincentf's Profile Photo

Extra surcharge on your meals

by vincentf Written Jul 1, 2003

Please note that in some restaurants, they will tack on an extra surcharge on moist towels and peanuts, and you're thinking that it is for free.

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

Tiny creatures in rainforest

by Sambawalk Written Nov 21, 2005

Take look the ground when you hike i the rainforests. Suely you dont want to step on a creature like this!

Instant Answers: Kota Kinabalu

Comments

Kota Kinabalu Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kota Kinabalu warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kota Kinabalu sightseeing.

View all Kota Kinabalu hotels