Pulau Libaran Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Pulau Libaran

Monitor Lizard

by sim1 Updated Feb 19, 2005

Monitor Lizard

I saw a few of these Monitor Lizards already during this Asia trip, but they keep surprising me, hahaha, and as you can see take pictures of. My first ever Monitor Lizard was in the klongs in Bangkok. After that I saw quite a few while staying at Sukau, here on Borneo. Hahaha, I even had one sneaking around my lodge, but racing off as soon as it spotted me.

This one was very close to a village, next to a couple of fishing boats.

Lazy Libaran

by sim1 Updated Feb 12, 2005

Lazy Libaran

This is the view from our cottage. We were protected by the winds from the sea by a few trees. And after that, the beach! And as you can, idyllically located: MY lazy chair. This was truly Lazy Libaran! And I loved it!

It couldn't be more perfect! Just imagine a nice cocktail, beautiful sunshine, and listening to the sound of the waves washing ashore. It sounds like a dream, but it was my reality for the day :-))

Goodnight :-)

Goodnight

All that is left to do on this page is to say goodnight! :-)) It is time to turn off the light and get some sleep, because tomorrow we will have another long but beautiful day ahead of us.

Here is a look into our little cottage. The cottage is basic, but all you need is there. There is an air-condition, although very noisy, it works well. (Luckily we didn't really this night as it wasn't so warm). The bathroom is huge, hahaha, but I have no clue why, because it was just empty space. It certainly wasn't anything fancy. But like I said, all is there what you need! A toilet and a shower, even with warm water :-)) what more can you wish for :-)))

The trip continues....

Turtle Island

So off we are to our next destination.... The trip continues.....

The previous leg of my journey was a visit to Sukau, probably my favourite part of the journey. I had two fantastic days on the river and I wouldn't have minded staying here longer. I hiked, did tours on the river, saw lots of birds and had an amazing encounter with a nose-monkey.

Today's trip has come to an end. After this wonderful visit to Libaran Island we are off to our next destination: Selingan Island. Selingan is part of the Turtle Islands park, and as the name already says it: famous for its turtles.

I hope you will join me on this virtual trip and enjoy reading my travel stories and see the pictures. For me it has been fantastic to write about my journey because it has made me relive the trip once again :-)

Time for dinner

Dinner time

The original plans for the evening was a barbeque night, but as you can imagine with all that rain we just had, those plans were quickly changed. Instead the cook changed the menu and served some great dishes with meat, fish, rice, vegetables and all you can think of. It was a feast meal for the four of us, as we were the only guests on the island. The dinner started of with a nice cocktail of the house. And we opened up a bottle of wonderful white wine to accompany our dinner. A perfect end to a wonderful day.

Dark blue sky

Dark Blue Sky

Finally the sky revealed the true cause of this weird light. Dark blue clouds covered the sky in an amazing speed. The clouds were mean looking; warning for what was to come. Only minutes had past by and the sky opened up, flooding rain down in an amazing amount. We got back to our lodge just in time. In an opened door we looked at these forces of nature. We were happy that the boatman had been in such a hurry and brought us home safely and on time :-)

Fisherman with his catch

Fisherman with his catch

I concentrated my camera on a fisherman that was slowly heading towards the shore. In his hands the catch of the day. Seeing these photos makes me think back to this moment and I imagine myself standing on that jetty again, enjoying so much this special little moment in my life.

The light changed with every second that past by. An absolute weird experience. Within minutes, and probably quicker, the 'light' was gone. The landscape returned into a normal landscape again.

Amazing play of light

Libaran Island

The sky darkens, the light intensifies and the play of the shadows begins. We arrived at Libaran and it is a long walk over the jetty. Åke and I both click our cameras ongoing. The light is fascinating; the backlight creates an amazing play of light and dark. This photo, taken by Åke, captures the mood of the moment so well. It is one of my absolute favourites of our trip to Borneo.

Fisherman at Lalasun Village

Fisherman at Lalasun Village

A little further along in the village I saw this fisherman standing on the jetty, working again... as everyone seems to do here..... on his fishing nets. The village I am at is called Lalasun Village. A name you might as well forget right away as it is so small; you probably would have a hard time finding it on any map ;-)

Reflection

Reflection

The boatman races the boat over the sea, crossing towards Libaran Island. He seems to be in an awful hurry, we are almost flying over the water. Does he know something I don't know? It pops into my mind that we left the mangrove forest very suddenly as well. I get the slight feeling something is wrong. But we got back to Libaran Island without problems, so my mind was at ease again.

The strange light is still there and has even intensified. The calm sea, the light, they all make perfect conditions for these type of reflections. It is almost unreal, but beautiful in my eyes.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Silence before the storm?

Silence before the storm

The bay is amazingly calm. The water is so quiet you can see the reflections of the boat in it. The only little sign of waves is further on in open sea. The light is weird, but amazing at the same time. A spooky effect, but so beautiful. Is this the so called 'silence before the storm'?

Waving goodbye

It is time to turn around our boat and head back to Libaran Island. But we don't leave without a proper goodbye from the fishermen. This is one of the fishermen we saw earlier this afternoon. They are now out a little bit further in the bay, waiting to go out to sea. They send us on our way with a greeting smile and wave goodbye!

Untangling the fishing nets

Fisherman

One of the fishermen at work, untangling his fishing nets, hahaha or at least that is what it looks like. It is so wonderful to get a glimpse of the local life of people during this boat trip. Our boat continues slowly through the winding canal, passing a little village with houses on both sides of the canal.

Fishermen

Fishermen

These fishermen were waiting to go on the Sulu Sea to go fishing. I loved their colourful boats and flags, their smiles, hahaha, and the enthusiasm with which they greeted us.Hahaha, although their enthusiasm started just after this picture was taken, LOL

Mudskippers

Mudskipper

Mudskippers are so fun! You can see these fighting fish in this mangrove landscape. Amazingly enough these 'fish' spend most of their time out of the water. And they can move faster on land than in the water! These fish are not that big, they get about 15-30cm long.

These two fish (click on the picture to see them better) where fighting with each other. They seem to try and make themselves bigger to impress the opponent. All in all a fun thing to watch as it wasn't only these two I saw, but quite a large group of them. So keep a look out for these mudskippes when you visit the mangrove!

Instant Answers: Pulau Libaran

Comments

Pulau Libaran Travel Guide

Pulau Libaran Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Pulau Libaran things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pulau Libaran sightseeing.

View all Pulau Libaran hotels