Ranau Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Ranau

• Gyppo's Profile Photo

Poring Hot Springs

by Gyppo Written Mar 5, 2014

Poring Hot Springs is a natural spa, with several communal pools and a number of private tubs. I didn't use the water, as I was more intrigued by the Batcave nearby. A short walk away, with a little bit of scrambling across a river and up the trail, the Batcave probably isn't really worth the journey, but it's a nice trip past the pretty Kipungit waterfall.

• Gyppo's Profile Photo

Kundasang War Memorial and Gardens

by Gyppo Written Mar 5, 2014

These beautiful gardens, separated into Australian, English and Borneo sections, commemorate the victims of the Sandakan Death Marches, in which more than 2000 Australian and British prisoners of war were forced to march across Sabah by their Japanese captors. Most died en route; those that survived were ground down by violent treatment and a lack of food before they were executed. 6 men managed to escape and were aided by locals until Sabah was liberated.

The gardens are a very pleasant place to spend time in and reflect, and have great views out over the Mount Kinabalu park.

Summit Trail Mt Kinabalu - Map

by Mikebb Updated Mar 23, 2013

Map - Trail to Mt Kinabalu Summit

We found these notices in Kinabalu Park to be of interest as it detailed the climb to the summit, something we never intend to do.

Our guide had previously informed us of the dangers of climbing Mt Kinabalu, although only 4,095 metres high it is very dangerous, and lives have been lost when the mist decends early morning. Climbers when decending can get caught in the mist cannot see very far,get lost and have to wait to the next morning. The overnight low temperature can cause loss of life.

• Mountain Climbing

Mt Kinabalu Park - World Heritage

by Mikebb Updated Mar 14, 2013

Noticeboard Map of The Kinabalu Park Complex

The Kinabalu Park covers 754 sq km extending to Poring Hot Springs (seperate page) 40km away and northwards to Mandalon.

The forest is one of the richest in the world with an estimated 5,000 flowering plants. There are many wild orchids including the beautiful Paphiopedilum Rothschildianum. Many varieties of Pitcher Plants, some of which are unbelievable size, and the world's largest flower Rafflesia.

The fauna in the park is amazing, countless beetles, insects and spiders, snakes etc , all beautifully coloured to blend into the background, part of survival mode.

Over 300 species of birds have been observed and recorded in the park.

For anyone who is interested in nature the Kinabalu Park provides a smorgasbord.

• Hiking and Walking

The Australian Memorial Garden - Kundsang

by Mikebb Updated Mar 14, 2013

Australian Garden Memorial - Kundasang

The garden has been completely renovated and now contains many Australian species which ar suitable for the local conditions.

As I entered the garden the first thing that caught my eye was the Map of Australia included in the lawn.
    A very nice touch.

Video Room & Museum

by Mikebb Updated Mar 13, 2013

Presentation Room - Australian & British Flags.

We were ushered into this theatre/museum room where Mr Sevee spoke to us for a few minutes and then played some videos provided by the Australian Government. Included was a reenachment march by members of the Australian Army forces, including the struggle these current day soliders experienced .

• Museum Visits

Borneo Memorial Garden - Kundasang

Borneo Memorial Garden - Kundasang

We were unlucky that the morning mist covered the Borneo Garden. Dinstictive in its structure from the Australian and British memorial gardens. The Borneo Garden is filled with local plant species representing what much of what we had seen during our treks through jungle and rainforest of Sabah.

A relaxing garden.

Mr Sevee Charuruks - Awarded MBE & AM

Mr Sevee Charuruks Welcomes Us - 29th January 2012

Mr Sevee Charuruks , a retired Thai businessman undertook the task of renovating the run down and overgrown memorial gardens. After contributing much of the money for the initial restoration of the gardens, the Australian Government commenced contributions towards the project as the 60th Anniversary Celebration was to be held.

In recognition of his hard work and commitment to the Kundasang War Memorial, in 2007 Queen Elizabeth II awarded Mr Charuruks the MBE (Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire). Later in 2012, the Australian Government awarded Mr Charuruks the Member of the Order of Australia (AM).

Mr Sevee Charurucks was very friendly to our group and spoke with each of us individually. A very modest man.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Pergola Memorial & Plaques "Least We Forget"

by Mikebb Updated Mar 12, 2013

Memorial -

This memorial lists all soldiers who died whilst Prisioner of War at Sandakan Camp or during the Sandakan to Kundasang death march during World War II and the Borneo people who assisted and often perished as a result of helping these soldiers.

1800 Australian and 600 British soldiers perished.

Whilst viewing the names I noticed a father and son perished.

The memorial is maintained to a high standard.

• dilvin's Profile Photo

Harmony Street!

by dilvin Written Nov 8, 2005

a very big temple

Almost having the same concept of the Harmony street in Malacca where the worship places of different religions is just next to each other. Here in Ranau, the Chinese temple is adjacent to the town's church and there are situated on the street called Jalan Masjid (Mosque Road). Is there a mosque nearby? Indeed there is. Just further down the road, the Muslim Mosque will be within sight.

• Mountain Climbing

Snakefruit

by sim1 Updated Mar 23, 2005

Snakefruit

One of the strange and 'unknown to me' fruits I saw here on the market was the snakefruit. The snake fruit grows in clusters at the base of the palm. And why it is called this way.... well, that's no surprise. The skin of the fruit is very thin and reminds a lot of the skin of a snake.

Of course I had to try a snakefruit! And it tastes delicious! :-)) It had a nice 'tropical' taste to it. Peeling the fruit is a bit tricky though. But luckily we had our guide 'One' around to help us out and tell us how to do it. When you have peeled the fruit, you'll notice a thin little skin still surrounding the fruit. Just rub that off with your finger and the snakefruit is ready to eat. Watch out for the seeds! You can't eat those.

Today I learned a little bit more about this fruit from an entry in my guesbook. The snake-skin fruit, is called BUAH SALAK by the locals. It is sweet if it is not too ripe but it tastes sour if it is very ripe and also like fermentating smell! Thanks Loretta! :-)

• Photography
    • Eco-Tourism

• sim1's Profile Photo

I could sit here for hours

by sim1 Updated Oct 6, 2004

��ke and me in Kundasang

We all enjoyed this moment at the Memorial Garden, sitting, relaxing, enjoying the wonderful view. It was sad to leave, but of course we couldn't stay here for the rest of the day. 'One' our guide had more in store for us for the day, so the trip continues. Our next visit is going to be to Poring Hot Springs. But that is another story on another page.....

The trip continues....

by sim1 Written Oct 6, 2004

Canope walk at Poring Hot Springs

My visit to Kundasang has come to an end, but my Borneo adventures continue!

The previous leg of my journey was a visit to Mount Kinabalu, the highest mountain in South-West Asia.

From Kundasang with its lively local market, its war memorial and wonderful views over Mount Kinabalu, it is time to be heading to Poring Hot Springs. You can read all about this place on my next page.

I hope you will join me on this virtual trip and enjoy reading my travel stories and see the pictures. For me it has been fantastic to write about my journey because it has made me relive the trip once again :-)

Zooming in....

by sim1 Written Oct 6, 2004

Zooming in...

Zooming in with my camera.... It is great to have a zoom lens that can bring everything so much closer. I just clicked around a bit with my camera to capture parts of the surrounding landscape, and bring home with me some of these wonderful views and memories. Borneo and Mount Kinabalu, a place I won’t quickly forget.

Beautiful views

by sim1 Updated Oct 6, 2004

Enjoying the views

You need to climb some stairs to get to the War Memorial Garden. The garden is made of several plateaus with nice gardens. When you reach the top of the garden, you come to this wonderful viewpoint. It was so amazing to sit here on this wonderful sunny day and having this amazing view over Mount Kinabalu and surrounding area. This was a moment I think that I'll never forget.

• Photography
    • Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Ranau

Comments

Ranau Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Ranau things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ranau sightseeing.